What's your take on Val D. Greenwood making reference to different religious books?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Re: What's your take on Val D. Greenwood making reference to different religious books?

Post by mensah2 »

That is a serious question. The author has used the Holy Bible as subject matter. Its unfortunate he has included opinions from other religious beliefs which may conflict with the Christian doctrine.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

Making a reference to the Holy Bible is proof that his book is based on the Bible. It proves that he is not writing from his head. He only decided to retell the Old Testament in an easy to read and comprehend way. This is not a conflict of interest at all. He is only acting as a good teacher of the Old Testament. Perhaps, he is an Old Testament major in Theology. Many references give credibility to the book. This is purely an academic way of writing. No man is an island! It proves that there are many people in the same line of his thought. The source that I think is more authentic is the Holy Bible.
FrankieKelley
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Mortal Engines
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frankiekelley.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B07XL7G4HH

Post by FrankieKelley »

I think he makes some very good points with those references, but one I have mixed feelings about is his interpretation of the creation story. I’m not entirely sure he makes a good point there.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

The bible is a collection of several books put into one. It makes sense to reference other religious books of course.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

I believe he would used the bible solely since the bible is the main object of discussion.
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by nwanasebuka »

Using different sources of reference is an excellent idea, in my opinion, however, the bible is the most authentic source.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I don't think there is a conflict of interest. Instead, I feel it helped to create an understanding of the stories more for the reader.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”