What's your take on Val D. Greenwood making reference to different religious books?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

What's your take on Val D. Greenwood making reference to different religious books?

Post by Sam Ibeh »

One of the outstanding things about I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood is that he made reference to The Holy Bible in all but two of the chapters. Particularly, a reference was made from The Book of Moses in chapter four.

Do you see this as a conflict of interest?

Should he have referenced only one source?

Which source do you think is more authentic?
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't have a problem with referencing other sources as long as they are cross-referenced with the Bible. I believe the Bible is the most authentic.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I think it’s great. In fact, I would have liked to have seen more references to a variety of other texts. It’s a more modern approach.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I think using other reference material is good. This book is about the historical stories portrayed in the Old Testament. Certainly there are other books that show the history of the same time period and tell the same stories. It's good to see a different perspective.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I think it's worth using many references, according to me this only helped writer delivering the book with different opinions.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

When you are in an unknown place like a foreign country, and you need directions, or you need to know which train to take. Always ask three different people, and if two say the same thing, that is likely to be the right answer. Long way round to say different sources will eventually support each other or the ones that do not will be discarded. So I am for different sources.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Abacus wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 11:07 When you are in an unknown place like a foreign country, and you need directions, or you need to know which train to take. Always ask three different people, and if two say the same thing, that is likely to be the right answer. Long way round to say different sources will eventually support each other or the ones that do not will be discarded. So I am for different sources.
Great observation!
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Abacus wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 11:07 When you are in an unknown place like a foreign country, and you need directions, or you need to know which train to take. Always ask three different people, and if two say the same thing, that is likely to be the right answer. Long way round to say different sources will eventually support each other or the ones that do not will be discarded. So I am for different sources.
Kudos to your reply!
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

I think it's nice to have cross-referencing text for the old testament. It really diversifies the book.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I’m only about 9% into the book thus far, but I do believe that using many sources is a great choice. This is what I love about mythology from around the world, that the stories are so similar. Take the Great Flood, for example: Many cultures have a tale about the flood, and there are quite a few Ark versions. How cool is it that so many divergent paths start at the same point and frequently cross?
More sources giving similar information makes that information more believable.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Excellent analogy! This is a good premise to follow when doing research; it helps to find multiple sources that supports a researcher's idea(s) to give it more credibility.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I have no issues with the author making reference to other books.I believe that by making the references, it helped the author to deliver the themes in a way that the readers could easily understand. Further, as a Christian, I am glad that the author made reference to the Bible which I am convinced is authentic.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

B Creech wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 17:24 I don't have a problem with referencing other sources as long as they are cross-referenced with the Bible. I believe the Bible is the most authentic.
I agree with you that the Bible is the most authentic.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

OliviaLouise wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 19:10 I think it’s great. In fact, I would have liked to have seen more references to a variety of other texts. It’s a more modern approach.
Yeah, he referenced an unknown source in the latter chapters. Though multiple referencing is a modern way, do you think that thought changes when you bring it into religious setups?
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I've followed and studied religious setups for some time now. There's this rift that exists among different Christian religious beliefs about when it comes to the book that actually captured these stories better. Will this affect the overall acceptance of this book among core religious folks?

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”