Gods Wrath

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Re: Gods Wrath

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Benthic wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 14:43 We have seen Gods Love in many a passage in the book. But Gods wrath really paved the way for humankind just as love did. To name a few the flood of Noah and the banishment of Adam and Eve. What were some of the worst instances of God's wrath that the author described in the book?
For the eternal loving God to decide to destroy all His creation He laboured for, except Noah and his family, then you should try and imagine how wicked that generation was. So wicked that you can't imagine the level of wickedness that would be on Earth now, if God hadn't wiped off that generation. See, these are spiritual mysteries that we can't comprehend with our human mind.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I've always though the Tower of Babel and the dividing of languages was the saddest punishment- how many families must have been separated, or, on the other hand, refused to leave each other and decided to make the commitment to learn how to understand each other again?
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The flood has to be one of the most significant of all God's wrath. The killing of the Egyptians first male children too.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

God's wrath was reflected the most in the Great Flood. However, God was too easy on the covenants and kept forgiving them whenever they showed repentance. I found this to be really interesting.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

MatereF wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 03:49
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:19 For me, it is the flood. God didn't want anything more to do with the new creation called humans and decided to get rid of them. Can you imagine - after the torrential rain stopped, the water peppered with bloated, floating bodies of humans and animals. This is probably why God said that he would no longer let his overwhelming wrath get the best of him again.
I agree with you. It must have been a nasty sight.
I agree! I can't even imagine what that must have been like. So sad and really traumatizing.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Flood, for sure. But it's very personal. Even as a child, the flood was very impressive to me. I still remember how I imagined it back then.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think the great flood was the worst punishment. I don't see the banishment as a real punishment since it is a mixture of "sweat" and "sweet".
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

TuyetMai wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:53 I also think the Great Flood was the worst punishment of all because it wiped out everything besides the Ark and many lives were destroyed.
I condone. I couldn't imagine the sight where all life forms are washed away.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Seeing so many comments talking about the flood. I want to diverge from popular opinions and say the 10 plagues in Egypt. People weren't just killed and then nothing. They suffered a lot of pain before having their sons killed.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

God doled out many punishments, usually to one or two people. However, I think he was super angry when he unleashed the flood and wiped out the majority of people. To me, this was most symbolic of God's wrath.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:19 For me, it is the flood. God didn't want anything more to do with the new creation called humans and decided to get rid of them. Can you imagine - after the torrential rain stopped, the water peppered with bloated, floating bodies of humans and animals. This is probably why God said that he would no longer let his overwhelming wrath get the best of him again.
Great example. I too felt the same. In other instances, he was at least giving chance to redeem but with the flood, it was like I don't want to do anything with humans. Let them all go away :D
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

The flood was a great show of God's wrath, as we are told the whole world was destroyed. I struggle to imagine how evil the world must have been for God to find only one family worth saving. To make matters worse, even animals and plants were destroyed. Gives a whole new meaning to destroying your work and starting afresh. I wish today's generation would realise that actions have consequences.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

It's interesting, because I think of "wrath" as something sudden, akin to "rage". As in, "I'm so angry I'm going to smash up my garden, and damn anything that's in it". In this sense, God's wrath, to my mind, would have been a sudden flood where he wiped out everything and decided to start over. But it wasn't, it was calculating and pre-planned, allowing Noah and his family and animals two-by-two to be saved from this destruction. I think it should be more "God's Revenge" in the flood case, not wrath.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I'm going to go with the majority here and say the flood was probably the best example of this.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

Yeah, I'm going with The Flood, too. Ya can't get much more wrathy than wiping out the entire Earth populace with the exception of two members per species. That's kind've a one-hit-kill, oofta. It must have been horrifying to witness, so it's no wonder why God holds off on doing it again. I mean, there were thousands of children and babies who drowned in that who hadn't done anything to anyone. It was directed at everyone, regardless of if they deserved it - someone else deserved it, so they got swept up in it, too. To me, that was the biggest act of wrath.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”