Gods Wrath

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Re: Gods Wrath

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

The flood was a horrific but necessary event. Why was it necessary? Because God said so. Just like Jesus's death, it was necessary.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Jsovermyer wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 22:14 How about Sodom and Gomorrah? And Lot's wife being turned to a pillar of salt? I had a professor of Biblical Archaology in college tell me that this story was consistent with a nuclear bomb. Something to think about.
Yes, I totally agree with you on both cases.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Jsovermyer wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 22:14 How about Sodom and Gomorrah? And Lot's wife being turned to a pillar of salt? I had a professor of Biblical Archaology in college tell me that this story was consistent with a nuclear bomb. Something to think about.
bb587 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:38 The flood was a horrific but necessary event. Why was it necessary? Because God said so. Just like Jesus's death, it was necessary.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I think the flood was one of the highest expressions of God's wrath. It was generally applicable to the entire human race.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

MatereF wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 03:49
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:19 For me, it is the flood. God didn't want anything more to do with the new creation called humans and decided to get rid of them. Can you imagine - after the torrential rain stopped, the water peppered with bloated, floating bodies of humans and animals. This is probably why God said that he would no longer let his overwhelming wrath get the best of him again.
I agree with you. It must have been a nasty sight.
The flood would also be my selection. The act of wiping the entire world clean, city by city country by country...billions killed in wrath.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Benthic wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:47
This was another instant where looking back gets you screwed and it also displays God's wrath for a City beyond redemption.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 00:19 For me, it is the flood. God didn't want anything more to do with the new creation called humans and decided to get rid of them. Can you imagine - after the torrential rain stopped, the water peppered with bloated, floating bodies of humans and animals. This is probably why God said that he would no longer let his overwhelming wrath get the best of him again.
Wow. You paint quite a picture with that comment. I've read the story of The Flood many times, yet I have never imagined that, bloated bodies floating around. And I do agree with you on the flood. God really showed forth His wrath with that one.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

The flood was cataclysmic but even in his wrath God still saved members of every species to give the world another chance. That's love.
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

We only experience God's Wrath because of our disobedience to his word. Just as how parents punishes their children for their disobedience it is the same with God. h/e is our father our parent and treats us as such.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

It's interesting how God seemed to not want anything more to do with humans, yet he still advised Noah to save different species so that they would not go extinct. So, I guess God did not totally want to abandon humans.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

What I found surprising was how many times God reneged on his covenants (because the humans failed) and then if the human repented he would forgive them and save his wrath for the human’s sons instead. Who holds off punishment like that?
Also, I was surprised by the number of times the covenants seemed more like bribes, “If you will do [this] then you will be safe, secure, and your offspring will be boundless.”
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

vermontelf wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 21:14 What I found surprising was how many times God reneged on his covenants (because the humans failed) and then if the human repented he would forgive them and save his wrath for the human’s sons instead. Who holds off punishment like that?
Also, I was surprised by the number of times the covenants seemed more like bribes, “If you will do [this] then you will be safe, secure, and your offspring will be boundless.”
Interesting perspective. You're right, they do come across like bribes. It almost seems like God is a physical being with strong emotions and can't seem to make up his mind, but Christianity teaches that God is an all-powerful and omnipotent substance, not human. It is very confusing. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Nathan Berner wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 21:03
It's interesting how God seemed to not want anything more to do with humans, yet he still advised Noah to save different species so that they would not go extinct. So, I guess God did not totally want to abandon humans.
That's true. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I feel God does not like to punish us . He just wantd to shows us the right path
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

Yeah! This part really showed God's wrath.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”