Role of the Author

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
ab2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab2020.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Role of the Author

Post by ab2020 »

Is I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation more a "translation" of the Old Testament into "modern English" or a reinterpretation based on the author's personal faith? How much of the author is present in the book? Is it an "opinionated translation" or a more literal one?
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

No matter how much research is done, the author's interpretation will always be a main factor. At least that's what I believe.
amjohnson13
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

There are a lot of the author's beliefs shown in the book, especially in the creation story. The idea of the 7 days not being literal days is not in the Old Testament. Also the idea that God made the Earth from existing matter is more scientific than biblical.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 12:15 No matter how much research is done, the author's interpretation will always be a main factor. At least that's what I believe.
I totally agree. It's almost inevitable that the author's ideas and interpretations and influences will shine through in the text.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Thank you! The last time I said something to that effect the person completely misunderstood me as they believed I was saying the author's research was all facts without author's personal interpretation.
amjohnson13
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I believe it is more of the Author's interpretation rather than translation of Bible stories.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

For me it's an 'opiniated translation'. It's more of the author's personal opinion.
ab2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab2020.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ab2020 »

Gracedscribe wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 01:51
amjohnson13mommy wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 12:15 No matter how much research is done, the author's interpretation will always be a main factor. At least that's what I believe.
I totally agree. It's almost inevitable that the author's ideas and interpretations and influences will shine through in the text.
This is quite true, though it is also possible for an author to make a serious effort to hide their actual interpretation and be "truthful" to the text. I think it depends on how the author's opinions fit into the context of the reader's knowledge of the work (and it seems that Greenwood is not trying to make his opinions secondary to the text).
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

It seems like an opinionated translation. I sort of think of the Bible as the US Constitution. Many people can read the same original material, but everyone has different readings of it. When you choose to expound upon the original text and change the language, personal decisions have to be made. He did reference other materials outside of the Bible as well. That alone shows that it's not a direct translation. Also, like others have mentioned, to make decisions about what we should and shouldn't take literally in the Bible (such as the number of days of Creation), is clearly the author's interpretation. It's by no means the facts. He can't possibly know.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I think its impossible to find a book that is strictly just the translation. At the end of the day writer is writing at his level of understanding which is how he interprets. So yes it included a lot of opinions
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Gracedscribe wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 01:51
It is impossible for any author to write a book without their interpretation shining through so, yes I agree with this assessment.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

ab2020 wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 16:45 Is I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation more a "translation" of the Old Testament into "modern English" or a reinterpretation based on the author's personal faith? How much of the author is present in the book? Is it an "opinionated translation" or a more literal one?
The book is both an opinionated translation and a literal one. I don't agree with some part of the author's opinions.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I would have to say 50/50 literal translation and personal interpretation, as there are some things presented as facts that are not actually true coming from the Bible texts themselves.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

In some ways, I think it is an opinionated translation, especially the story of creation. The other stories seemed very much like what I have always read in the Bible so I do think it was a bit of a literal translation also. Putting the stories in chronological order really helped make the Old Testament easier to read and understand. I think it would be very difficult to write on any subject without letting your own opinion slip in.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

I don’t think the author ever said he was translating the stories at all. He just wanted a coherent story sculpted out of the sometimes repetitive material in the Bible. And he took the liberty to fill in some gaps that he felt were needed to make the story flow easier.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”