Has our God left us alone?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Re: Has our God left us alone?

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

God exist before man, provides shelter when man disobeyed Him. However, God's account on the man most of the time rejected because nowadays humans are liberated and therefore embrace on sinning. The world today only wanted God will do all the bad demands for the sake of being self-centered.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

If God had left this world alone, there would be life forms on planets like Mars, Venus or Jupiter. If God had left planet Earth,Earth would have been extinct. Things explained in the bible are still in existence only in a different way. For example swords were a famous weapon but now there guns like AK 47. Its still the same world if I am not mistaken. Treachery, love ,joy or hate are alive in an enhanced way.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

The conveniences of modern times make biblical stories seem unrelatable, but the moral lessons still hold. The principles of love and humility are applicable, especially now that the world is becoming more intolerant.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

God has not left us but we have left Him and are not leaping the fruits of destroying the world he placed us on.
juliesand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliesand.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by juliesand »

As someone who was raised in the church and is now 55 and a bit battered by life, I find my biggest fear is not the idea of no longer believing in God ... but of God no longer believing in us.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

The bible is still a very valid reference book. We don't just read it for fun or hubby. Although, I agree that with the whole advancement in technology, a lot as changed.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I don't think that books like Bible are stuck in time because they are timeless. Even though the time has changed and the new technologies invented with time I still think that these inscriptions still have an impact on people. And that they are a guideline for us. And lastly no I don't think the god has left us because if so the world would have been destroyed
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

God has not left us alone and I believe he never will. If you feel like God has abandoned you then you are the one who moved away from his teachings. The Bible says "his hands are not too short that he can't reach us..." I believe he cares about everyone of us, circumstances notwithstanding. God's word will always have an effect on your life if you read it right
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Hold the Bible. Pray and Repent. That will answer your doubt if it has little value to today's human kind. That's why in the New Testament, Jesus in many instances, emphasized the Value of Faith to God the Father. He never stop from saying that. Try to read it everyday, that's the best way to answer your question. Nothing more and nothing less.
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

With such discussions I always inquire about the religious background of the author. I can say simply that the scriptures does not change. most of the biblical concepts needs the Holy Spirit understanding. A carnal mind will find this understanding difficult. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, so is his word.
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

I'll disagree with you because I believe the Bible is "life" and it becomes alive if we apply it as it is relevant now as it was years ago.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

When religions leave, other things come in place of religion and take over our psyche. Spirituality is a key part of the human experience, whether you acknowledge it or not.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

While there are some concepts, especially in the Old Testament, that were traditions of the times, the Bible still very much applies to our lives today. Jesus' birth and resurrection will remain important, regardless of what changes in the modern world.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I think it depends on the individual and how he or she will understand and interpret such books.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

This is why we have the New Testament. The Old Testament is majorly about the nation of Israel. The New Testament is majorly about us today. As God was with the Old Testament saints so He is with us today, the New Testament saints. We are a fulfilment of the Old Testament.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”