Has our God left us alone?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Re: Has our God left us alone?

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

Fazzier wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 07:26
Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:42 The Old Testament has little effect on my life. The New Testament has more value. The teachings of Jesus give ideas for being more loving, more tolerant of others and less judgemental.
I completely agree with you that most of the issues we face today are contained in the New Testament. But, still, that does not rule out the Old Testament and does not mean that our God has left us alone.
The Old Testament and New Testament are complementary to each other in completing God's plan of salvation to human kind.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I believe that the lessons still apply to us today. Even if you are not religious, the ethical and moral ideals that are present in the Bible are true to this day. But it depends on the reader entirely.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

KristyKhem wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 10:24 "God" is just a vague term for a higher being. I don't think he has left us alone. He is in many forms and is portrayed differently in various religions. When it comes to the Bible and Christian stories, however, these simply embody a general bit of advice which are still applicable to today's world if one chooses to acknowledge it.
Well said. I like that you mentioned god as another term for higher being. It feels more inclusive for those who do not necessarily associate with a religious group, yet still wish to explore the teachings in various spiritual texts.
Arthur Ahrens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-ahrens.html
Latest Review: Fearless Thinking, Stress-free living, Guaranteed (Almost) by Purandar A. Amin

Post by Arthur Ahrens »

God has certainly NOT left us alone. There are truths in the Bible that will always apply--like how we are to treat others and share the good news with everyone. Jesus died to pay for our sins so that we can be saved and not damned to an eternity in hell. We will never ever be worthy because nobody is perfect. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but he forgives us anyway if we accept it. It's called grace. God is present when we use our kind words to build other up instead of tearing them down, when we stand together against discrimination and tyranny and other evils of the world. God is present when we live our faith and share His love with ALL people by our words and actions--not just with our friends and neighbors, but everyone. God is even present in our struggles when bad things happen that may be for our own good and that we may not see because of our limited perspective. God provides for all of out needs--not all of out wants, but all of our needs. If you do not see God, then you need to seek Him, and you shall find. You will find that's He is never far, but He walks beside you in all aspects of your life. What a precious gift!
:techie-reference:
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think that, no matter the era, the Bible will always remain relevant. It teaches universal and timeless lessons. It fills you with wisdom as well. You need to truly read and understand it to grasp the message. Times may change, but the lessons don't become any less relevant or important.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I believe that the scriptures, which is God's word, is alive and fully beneficial to man in all aspects of his life. If it is in the Bible, it doesn't expire. No one is as old as the Bible, and it's a book both of history and prophecy, so no matter what changes occur in the world, the Bible and its contents remain relevant both now and the future. There is no segregation between Old and New Testaments as they both are huge components of God's Word.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Well, I will have to disagree with you. The stories in the bible are still very relevant today. They are not fictions. They are still applicable to the new happenings in the world today.
Choibelle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Choibelle »

I think any religious scripture would have an effect on their readers if they believe that it will change their lives or believe in the hereafter and God in general. I am a Muslim and when I read or listen to Quran immediately I feel hypnotized. I let go of everything relating to the world and life in general. Same happens when I read something about the prophet Mohammed or other prophets like Moses, Jesus Christ, Abraham, Joseph.. peace be upon them all. I start to cry most of the time. But when I read something about other religions like "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation," I do not feel anything spiritually since I only read them out of curiosity and to be educated.
It all depends on your intentions when you read the scriptures. As the previous reply says, "If you read it as a casual book, then it will remain so to you"
God has never left us alone. He is always present and waiting for our prayers and worshiping. In Islam, Allah (God) says "So remember Me, I will remember you." {152 Al-Baqarah} . It is us who choose to let go of God.
Arthur Ahrens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-ahrens.html
Latest Review: Fearless Thinking, Stress-free living, Guaranteed (Almost) by Purandar A. Amin

Post by Arthur Ahrens »

Choibelle wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 08:29 I think any religious scripture would have an effect on their readers if they believe that it will change their lives or believe in the hereafter and God in general. I am a Muslim and when I read or listen to Quran immediately I feel hypnotized. I let go of everything relating to the world and life in general. Same happens when I read something about the prophet Mohammed or other prophets like Moses, Jesus Christ, Abraham, Joseph.. peace be upon them all. I start to cry most of the time. But when I read something about other religions like "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation," I do not feel anything spiritually since I only read them out of curiosity and to be educated.
It all depends on your intentions when you read the scriptures. As the previous reply says, "If you read it as a casual book, then it will remain so to you"
God has never left us alone. He is always present and waiting for our prayers and worshiping. In Islam, Allah (God) says "So remember Me, I will remember you." {152 Al-Baqarah} . It is us who choose to let go of God.
I love the last point that we are the ones who stay away from God and not the other way around. He is always there--like a shepard and his sheep. I am a member of a lutheran church. You and I worship the same God, I believe. I have always said that just like driving between two cities, there are many different routes to get you there. For you it is the Quran, and for me it is the Bible. I think maybe God knew that as humans, one path would not get to everyone and so created multiple roads leading to Him.
:techie-reference:
Steptech700
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Steptech700 »

Hi hello to every one my response to the passage of this book is that the stories in the
Bible are not just stories but they are very true
And real events that happend in the lives of the people that lived in that time and is still happening to us today in our time.
These events that took place which were recorded and documented showed and testified that God never left his people and is willing to help any one who tell really trust and believe in and in him.
God has not left us alone and he doesn't I tend to either for example God parted the red Sea for Moses and the children of Israel for them to cross on the other side to escape pharo.
We might say that pharo don't exist any more
So we don't need God to deliver us or he doesn't have that job to do again.
My fellow readers we sometimes have our own red Sea to cross it might not be a literal
Body of water and all that but it signifies that
God is Abel to deliver any one from danger or pusucution and cause us to cross over unharmed and safe .
We all have our red seas to cross in our own way ever day the bible is coming to life in someboadys life and they are being touched
By scriptures that gives them incoragement because God is the same yesterday today and forever so people are still crossing red seas being saved from lions dens because God is still working miricles in peoples lives
And bring our dreams and desires to reality
So be has not forsaken us in any way or left us alone
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

In today's world, man has taken God out of schools, public institutions, and our government.
Back in the Bible days, man has also turned their backs to God numerous times, even after witnessing miracles! After God parted the Red Sea for Moses and the Israelites to cross over and escape from Pharoah and his army, the Israelites angered God by turning their backs to His commandments and proceeded in making a golden calf for everyone to worship.

Has God left us, or have we left Him?

Many people believe that God has turned away because of the state of the world and His lack of intervention. I believe it is man who has turned away and is causing great corruption. In my opinion, I believe God will intervene at the right time, He is just waiting for mankind to realize, once and for all, that we do need Him.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I think that whether the stories of the bible still apply to people today is up the person. Depending on where you are spiritually or in your belief systems, you will get what you need based on what you are going through. Each person sees things differently based on what they have been through, so I believe that it is based on the person reading the stories on if they still apply today.
kmaatman1986
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmaatman1986.html
Latest Review: The Trial of Connor Padget by Carl Roberts

Post by kmaatman1986 »

God has not left us alone. People have free will to choose their path in life and are responsible for their actions. A person may choose to follow God or not. Their choices dictate what happens here on earth and is reason for some of the terrible things that take place. However, those that choose Christ and follow God, have a hope that there is an eternal life away from all of the pain on earth. Many think being a Christian means there shouldn’t be pain or heartache but that’s not true. The Bible states over and over again that there will be pain and trials on earth, but not once we get to heaven.

As far as books and the Bible being relevant today, it depends on your perspective. I choose to follow Christ and believe the Bible to be true yesterday, today, and forever which makes it very relevant.

Other books that are about God and the Bible may or may not be relevant or have an impact. It depends on the reader and if there is any truth or backing to what is written. Just like with other books, I may feel a huge impact from a certain religious text, but another may not.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by kali09 »

I'm assuming you are referencing Jesus Christ instead of another deity like Allah or Krishna. In any case, no, I don't think we have been left alone.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Never has God left us. I think it is we who usually and oftentimes leave him for one reason or another.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”