Has our God left us alone?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Othervi
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-othervi.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Has our God left us alone?

Post by Othervi »

In the past, scriptural stories related to the Bible were very important in human life. They presented a worldview in which they showed human beings important things related to the Hereafter, the fall of man, the afterlife, the rewards and punishments, and so on.

But do these stories still work today? Or are they just read for hobby and enjoyment? Stories like the ones in I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

In my opinion, they no longer have a role in human life, because our history has changed a lot. Now these stories are important for literal aspects. Also they're noticeable because they are beautiful and probably have some tips. But in our view of the world they have little effect.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

If you think reading the bible has no effect on your life, you're not really reading it. Yes, the situations have changed, technology has changed, but His lessons remain. His grace and mercy remain. Books like the BOTM help us to put things into perspective.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

Well, I may not agree with you. I believe the scriptures or rather the Bible is "life." If you read it as a casual book, then it will remain so to you, but if you view it as God's voice, then it will be His breath in your spirit.
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

I'm not quite sure if you're asking for the importance of the Bible or books like I Will Make of Thee A Great Nation. Books that are written to better understand the Bible can't be lumped into one category... but I do agree that not all of these book have any kind of profound impact on one's life. There are some other books, however, such as A Case for Christ, that have made an impact on several lives because it has helped them to better understand the gospel as it is presented in the Bible.

As far as having little effect, I really think that depends on the reader. In the time of the Israelites there were nations that knew of the Torah and the surrounding teachings, and yet they did not follow those teachings and would have considered them useless. It is the same today. Followers of this belief system will find unlimited value in the Bible as well as worth in literature written about it. Those who have no interest will feel that there is no use for these books. But just because you don't have use for something now doesn't mean it's not important. A pacemaker or asthma inhaler will seem of no importance until the moment they are the only thing keeping you breathing.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

God's word in the Bible is eternal and is still making impact in the present age regardless of technological advancement. I disagree with your opinion of its lessons being only literal. The Bible is still very much applicable in today's world.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

The Old Testament has little effect on my life. The New Testament has more value. The teachings of Jesus give ideas for being more loving, more tolerant of others and less judgemental.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Sometimes I also wonder if God has left us alone. With all of the terrible things that are happening today, I wonder if God cares.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

In the past, people didn't understand the world as well as we do today. In order to make sense of things that occurred, or to give themselves comfort when faced with hopelessness and hardship religions arose. I think it's perfectly fine that people believe what they want, and I'm not knocking religion at all if someone wants to have faith in something, but in a world where we're growing more knowledgable on the origins of natural phenomena and life in general, people aren't really seeking out religion as much as before. I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing to live without religion. You can have morals and live a healthy, peaceful life without the aid of a religious text.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ahhh, maybe there is your answer. If you think of the Bible as a "religious" book you may be thinking of it the wrong way. Religion is not what gets a person to Heaven, salvation is - there is a big difference. People are not "allowing" the Bible to have an impact on their lives today. The Bible is still just as true and just as real with just as much of an impact on those who read it today as it ever was! It is the inspired Word of God and God hasn't changed - the world has. When prayer was taken out of the schools in this country that was the beginning of people looking at what is going on around them and not seeking God through His word. I believe the Bible has just as much impact today, but we have to read and study it to feel that impact. Its message hasn't changed - people just aren't listening anymore.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

The lessons that we learn from the stories of the Old Testament are still relevant today. We have to pull those lessons out and apply them to modern day life. There are some eternal truths in those lessons which cannot be denied. God has not left us alone. Many persons refuse to try to know Him, but for those who do know him, his teachings are very much alive.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I believe God's word is for all times and all ages. I don't agree with how it isnt applicable in today's world, because I believe it is.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I wholeheartedly believe that God remains present with us today. Circumstances, people, etc., will always be changing, but Jesus Christ remains the same yesterday, today, and forever. God is so steadfast and loving, so I definitely believe that books that use stories from the Bible or are inspired by them are most certainly still important and relevant for us today. God has been using His Word to change lives and hearts from the beginning, and He is still doing so today! :)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

bb587 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:46 If you think reading the bible has no effect on your life, you're not really reading it. Yes, the situations have changed, technology has changed, but His lessons remain. His grace and mercy remain. Books like the BOTM help us to put things into perspective.
I agree that the lessons remain despite the time and technological differences.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

bb587 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 09:46 If you think reading the bible has no effect on your life, you're not really reading it. Yes, the situations have changed, technology has changed, but His lessons remain. His grace and mercy remain. Books like the BOTM help us to put things into perspective.
I feel like the Bible is supposed to be timeless. It can always be in style. I think that any generation can learn something by reading it.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jsovermyer wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 19:50 Sometimes I also wonder if God has left us alone. With all of the terrible things that are happening today, I wonder if God cares.
I don't think God has left us alone and I believe He cares very much. Hatred has been bred in our country as people fight over who is right and who is wrong. I think He is waiting and giving us a chance to do what is right ourselves before He intervenes.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”