Why do most people believe that the Old Testament is difficult to understand?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Aftab Yunis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The fourth Dimension
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aftab-yunis-hakim.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Why do most people believe that the Old Testament is difficult to understand?

Post by Aftab Yunis »

People believe that the Old Testament is difficult and the New Testament is easier to understand. However, the truth is he/she cannot understand the New Testament unless or unless one does not understand the Old Testament.
tobilynn37
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tobilynn37 »

Because not everyone will be able to understand the whole book without some help. They need it more simplified. I know many people mostly just have a hard time with the chronicles. The parts where some begat someone and that someone begat someone else and the that some married and begat someone. It is a lil confusing. The names don't help much but having so many names altogether. It's mostly just hard to follow. If it could be turned into a timeline or even a family tree many more people may be interested in that section. As for other parts of the Old Testament, I feel that people are confused at the meanings behind the words. The Bible in general means so many things to different people. For example, to one group it's a storybook of hundreds of lives past down from generation to generation, to another group it's an amazing bit of history. Not everyone has the ability to grasp that which their friend will grasp.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

aftabyunis wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 10:26 People believe that the Old Testament is difficult and the New Testament is easier to understand. However, the truth is he/she cannot understand the New Testament unless or unless one does not understand the Old Testament.
You are right, one can not understand the new testament without understanding the old testament first, this because the old gives relevance to the new testament. Just like Jesus said, that He did not come to abolish the law but to fulfil them.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

tobilynn37 wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 18:18 Because not everyone will be able to understand the whole book without some help. They need it more simplified. I know many people mostly just have a hard time with the chronicles. The parts where some begat someone and that someone begat someone else and the that some married and begat someone. It is a lil confusing. The names don't help much but having so many names altogether. It's mostly just hard to follow. If it could be turned into a timeline or even a family tree many more people may be interested in that section. As for other parts of the Old Testament, I feel that people are confused at the meanings behind the words. The Bible in general means so many things to different people. For example, to one group it's a storybook of hundreds of lives past down from generation to generation, to another group it's an amazing bit of history. Not everyone has the ability to grasp that which their friend will grasp.
Yes i agree, the genealogy in the Old testament are one of the reasons the old testament seems difficult to understand
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, yes that may seem like the popular opinion. But the truth is, the old testament points to the new testament and vice versa. The old testament paved way for the coming of Christ. It showed the need for the messiah. Since the fall of Adam, man has always need that exemplary figure to look up.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

The old testament was explained and upgraded to become the new statement. The old testament was more like laws which no one could contend or modify or even dare water down. It was expected that it is swallowed hook, line and sinker. However, the new testament on the other hand is ever easy to comprehend, has no reason to be an order/command and so much more.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I would agree with that: it is necessary to know the Old Testament in order to understand the New Testament. The New Testament derives from the Old Testament and together they form an inseparable whole.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

The bible is interconnected. I, for one enjoy the stories of the old testament. I admit that some parts can prove hard to understand, but with the help of the holy spirit, all things are possible.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

Personally, I enjoy the stories of the old testament more than that of the new testament, but like you said the bible is interconnected. One can't do without the other.
Jennifer Benítez 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-ben-tez-1.html
Latest Review: Nakhon Phanom by James I. Jouppi

Post by Jennifer Benítez 1 »

I think many people are under spells that have too much abuse as the background, because one would think Godly" with a clean sleight. We don't disregard God! The old testament is meant to teach us in a variety of manner.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

The old testament and the new testament teaches us lessons as Christians. None of the books should be considered too hard to understand, because there are mysteries in all. God wants us to learn from every book of the bible.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I agree that scriptures of the old testament are quite hard to understand when studied in isolation; that's because they were 'types and shadows' that needs the new testament to clarify them.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”