The Purpose for Pets

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The Purpose for Pets

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

lauren3cats wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 10:34 I really enjoyed the addition of the pets to the story, even if perhaps they were not explained. I do wish they had played a larger role in the story. People love animals so I think it was a missed opportunity for greater audience buy in.
I wish they had a larger part in the story too, and I hoped pet harmonies would come into the plot too.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 10:59
dreamonkdr wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 17:48 Animals often serve the purpose of representing their human counterparts in books. Harry Potter and Hedwig for example. Both are brave and loyal. Both Jon Snow and his Ghost are loners, warriors, and outcasts. I viewed this no differently.
Wolfea and Will were both out of place, outsiders, and loyal to those loyal to them.
I like this analogy. That they both were outsiders and didnt belong. And the loyalty is spot on
I love this interpretation and think it is the best one so far.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 11:01
Wyland wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 08:44 I also think the presence of the animal characters adds nothing to the plot expect to bring some kind of depth to the story and a way to appeal to the compassion of the human characters.
To show wills compassion for helping those in need and to exemplify those who are simply evil (like the gamekeeper)
I agree on this point of highlighting the emotional and behavioural state of characters lik the Game Keeper and Will.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

It really didn't feel like there was a purpose for the pets. It might have been to make the place feel more magical, having special pets that are tied to one person, but they really weren't necessary.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:36 It really didn't feel like there was a purpose for the pets. It might have been to make the place feel more magical, having special pets that are tied to one person, but they really weren't necessary.
my sentiments exactly! if the pets were removed it would take nothing away from the book as a whole.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Washboard wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 21:09
Noosh wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 00:04
Washboard wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 23:40

It almost seemed they were put in place to create a parallel to a patronus in Harry Potter series or daemons in the Golden Compass series, but weren't given the backstory to make it work.
Okay, why is everyone comparing this to HP?
Am I the only one who doesn’t see it? :lol:
I didn't think it was that similar to Harry Potter for the most part, but the pets thing made me think "Oh... Like a patronus."
I think it's to make the characters more special? Say, instead of just showing their personalities, they each also have a different pet that helps them stand out. Sort of similar to having a unique patronus and wand.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:36 It really didn't feel like there was a purpose for the pets. It might have been to make the place feel more magical, having special pets that are tied to one person, but they really weren't necessary.
I disagree that pets did not have a purpose in the book. At a minimum they were used as companionship for the children in the Orphanage.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:36

I didn't think it was that similar to Harry Potter for the most part, but the pets thing made me think "Oh... Like a patronus."
I think it's to make the characters more special? Say, instead of just showing their personalities, they each also have a different pet that helps them stand out. Sort of similar to having a unique patronus and wand.
I think this is an interesting avenue to explore the purpose of pets in Echoland.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

There was an additional layer of complexity added to the story of Echoland through the pets. However, the author could have added a few lines to describe what it is that the pets did.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Samy Lax wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:58 There was an additional layer of complexity added to the story of Echoland through the pets. However, the author could have added a few lines to describe what it is that the pets did.
Yes, the additional level of complexity added to the story made me long for some additional subplot concerning pets and possibly their Echoes.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 03:42
Samy Lax wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:58 There was an additional layer of complexity added to the story of Echoland through the pets. However, the author could have added a few lines to describe what it is that the pets did.
Yes, the additional level of complexity added to the story made me long for some additional subplot concerning pets and possibly their Echoes.
Or their sounds since some pets were Echoes
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

In your opinion, what made the pets complex? Or what part of the story was more complex because of the pets?
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I also wish the pets would have been explained more. I mostly think the author used the pets to help further the storyline. Pellucid wanted to show Will's compassion and also create conflict when he chose Wolfea as his pet. Valerie chose the wild bird, which she was often flying on throughout the story. This was especially important when she was accusing Valerian of being a liar and murderer by the frozen lake.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:39 I also wish the pets would have been explained more. I mostly think the author used the pets to help further the storyline. Pellucid wanted to show Will's compassion and also create conflict when he chose Wolfea as his pet. Valerie chose the wild bird, which she was often flying on throughout the story. This was especially important when she was accusing Valerian of being a liar and murderer by the frozen lake.
I think in a way to make echoland seem that much more magical and fanciful. Because who in their right mind has a wild wolf for a pet? Nd people dont ride giant birds. It sort of helped to create that mystical environment
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:36

That's true. It was helpful for me to keep the characters separated. Like "oh... That's the mouse kid..." until I got the hang of who was who. I just wish there was a bit of an explanation within the story as to why pets were chosen in a big ceremony.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”