The Girls in the Story

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The Girls in the Story

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Tomah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 14:23 I believe more points of view in general would benefit the book. Not only for the female characters, but the prince is also fairly underutilized. Indeed, it would've been interesting to see the prince and Emmy working together.
I have the feeling the author might surprise us with her future plans for the prince. My sensation was that he might turn into an antagonistic character in the future novels. Once he becomes a king, he might fall into the trap of self-sufficiency and the illusion of absolute power. Anyway, he didn't strike me as a very relatable character in this book either.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 08:43
Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:56 YES! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

The story couldn't have happened without the women and girls, but they were all working behind the scenes.

Emmy and Valerie often ran interference and placed their own safety on the line for the boys, but were given background roles.

Cully Flower was an amazing help to the boys in their efforts to translate the book, but again, she just seemed like an afterthought.

This book reminded me in some ways of the {i}Harry Potter[/i] series minus Hermione, which just wouldn't have worked. I think that there should have been a more central role for at least one female character. Hopefully future books will have Emmy or another female character more involved in the main plot, rather than as a player on the sidelines.
I have to admit I was a bit confused and disappointed when Will found Emily and nothing spectacular followed or at least nothing emotional followed. After all, Emily was the reason why he ended up in Echoland in the first place. With Valerie, things seemed much better and I think she could easily join the boys' team in the next novel.
I 100% agree. The entire premise of the book is to find his sister. He finds her immediately and then she is hardly mentioned the rest of the book.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I think the story would have been better if the girls were given more important roles. Even though Emmy was a major plot point (the driving force of the book, other than escaping the Fate Sealers), she was given only a very small role. I was disappointed that she did not play a bigger part in the overall story.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 23:28
Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:56 YES! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

The story couldn't have happened without the women and girls, but they were all working behind the scenes.

Emmy and Valerie often ran interference and placed their own safety on the line for the boys, but were given background roles.

Cully Flower was an amazing help to the boys in their efforts to translate the book, but again, she just seemed like an afterthought.

This book reminded me in some ways of the {i}Harry Potter[/i] series minus Hermione, which just wouldn't have worked. I think that there should have been a more central role for at least one female character. Hopefully future books will have Emmy or another female character more involved in the main plot, rather than as a player on the sidelines.
I have to admit I was a bit confused and disappointed when Will found Emily and nothing spectacular followed or at least nothing emotional followed. After all, Emily was the reason why he ended up in Echoland in the first place. With Valerie, things seemed much better and I think she could easily join the boys' team in the next novel.
I 100% agree. The entire premise of the book is to find his sister. He finds her immediately and then she is hardly mentioned the rest of the book.
Yeah. From the premise and opening of the book, it felt like Emmy was going to play a huge role that just never actually happened.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 10:24
Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 23:28

Yeah. From the premise and opening of the book, it felt like Emmy was going to play a huge role that just never actually happened.
I've just remembered something funny. When Will finds her, Emmy is quite furious with him for coming to Echoland to save her. :)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Falling4Ever wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 15:15 I totally agree. They talk so much about Emily being missing at the beginning of the book, but she never really fills the role that was put on her when she was missing. Also, I feel like Valerie was used more to fix plot holes than as an actual character to be developed.
I don't know about Valerie. I got attached to her character. Although she is constantly suspected and rejected by Peter, she keeps helping them. Besides, she is the only one that sees Valerian's true face.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:11 I definitely would have like a little more with Emmy in this first book. I am hoping that maybe she and Valerie will be more central to the sequel that was hinted at in the end. But even more than Emmy and Valerie, Daia pretty much disappeared from the book after the beginning, and that really bothered me. I thought both she and Damien would have larger parts to play. At least Damien got to come back for a couple of scenes, but after the start, Daia was seen but not heard for the rest of the book.
Good point! I would have liked to see more of Dea and Damien too. I guess they were somehow replaced by Wolfea.
Sana Rabbani
Currently Reading: Geraldine
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-rabbani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sana Rabbani »

This is exactly what came to my mind while reading it. Why were the female characters deprived of being given a more substantial role? This would have made a great difference if they were given a central role in the book. Looking forward for them to get some reasonable position in the sequel.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Novelbound »

It didn't bother me as I read the book, but now that you mention it, it does become more obvious. I did think that Emmy would have a much bigger role in the book than she did. She was the reason Will ended up in Echoland in the first place.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

melissy370 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:34 Truthly, I did not even notice that all the main parts were boys. The story was so entertaining that those details didn't bother me.
I didn't notice it until this post either
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I totaly agree with you. Girls/female characters were not 'visible' enough especially Emily. It feels like there so much more about her that I would love to know.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:50 Although I enjoyed reading the novel, I couldn't help noticing the female characters were given only marginal roles. Will's sister, Emily, and Valerie, Victor Valerian's niece, are the only girls in the story. They save the day more than once, yet I don't think they are given enough attention, especially Emily. Would you like them to acquire a central position in the future novels in the series?
I would love to see Emily play a greater role in the next book! It would be interesting to see things from her perspective and learn more about what happened to her during the time that she was separated from her family! Like you, I was happy to see that they the girls helped to save the day, even if their roles were smaller.
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I really hope they will become more important in the next stories. They deserve it, and they proved it!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I absolutely agree with you. Emily, for instance, could have been much better developed. Male authors sometimes have difficulties portraying women, which I think is only natural. But it is frustrating, indeed. I, for one, prefer books and movies that equally develop both male and female characters.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

mmm17 wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 09:02 I absolutely agree with you. Emily, for instance, could have been much better developed. Male authors sometimes have difficulties portraying women, which I think is only natural. But it is frustrating, indeed. I, for one, prefer books and movies that equally develop both male and female characters.
It may be true that Male authors have a harder time portraying women, but Dew Pellucid is a female author ;)

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”