The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: The killing law

Post by Kro92813 »

Sinclairess wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 11:43
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:47 Right? The king is the shephard and the people are his sheep. Whether they follow him out of respect or fear, it's amazing how a title can create such power over others
Right, it's astonishing how humans instinctively give over their mental power to someone that way, without question, in such large numbers. That amount of power is dangerous. The king is a stranger, really. He doesn't know half the people he rules.
And because those who dont agree withthe one in power have no say they generally are silenced or squashed
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 14:20
Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
It's just a fiction book, but I think there's sense here. Sound and Echo realms are like spiritual and physical realms. If someone is killed spiritually, it would manifest physically. Nice thought, Kro.
Someone else above had mentioned the spirituality aspect of the Echoes to their Sound and I LOVE that idea! I hadnt thought of them being connected in that sense, but I wouldnt be surprised if the author intended them this way!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 07:07
djr6090 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 09:50
Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
There seem to be people in our world who are lost, without a spiritual core, or who are overcome with despair. I kind of thought that the Echo was so linked to the Sound that it was necessary to both. Maybe the loss of an Echo effects the Sound's spirit.
I like this idea! That the echo is sort of like a part of our spirit. And their lucidity kind of adds to that vibe. A loss of ones echo could be the cause of depression or feelings of loss
The Killing law took advantage of the incongruous bond between an Ech o and its Sound. This idea that an Echo is part of the Sound's spirit is interesting ,but could be the very same explanationthe False King used to get the law enacted.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:00

There seem to be people in our world who are lost, without a spiritual core, or who are overcome with despair. I kind of thought that the Echo was so linked to the Sound that it was necessary to both. Maybe the loss of an Echo effects the Sound's spirit.
I like this idea! That the echo is sort of like a part of our spirit. And their lucidity kind of adds to that vibe. A loss of ones echo could be the cause of depression or feelings of loss
The Killing law took advantage of the incongruous bond between an Ech o and its Sound. This idea that an Echo is part of the Sound's spirit is interesting ,but could be the very same explanationthe False King used to get the law enacted.
Well no, the false king had the killing law enacted so that he could become king. All he had to do was find the unsuspecting sound of the current king killed and then they would HAVE to do the same for the King according to law.

This is also the reason Will and Emmy were taken in the first place. The king wanted the Princes sound killed so, in turn, the prince would have to be killed as well. Emmy was taken on a whim becausethey couldnt tell her and will apart at 2, so as a precaution they were going to take and kill both
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:33

Well no, the false king had the killing law enacted so that he could become king. All he had to do was find the unsuspecting sound of the current king killed and then they would HAVE to do the same for the King according to law.

This is also the reason Will and Emmy were taken in the first place. The king wanted the Princes sound killed so, in turn, the prince would have to be killed as well. Emmy was taken on a whim becausethey couldnt tell her and will apart at 2, so as a precaution they were going to take and kill both
Let me simplify it this way then.... William comes to challenge the False King for the throne, but wait, Will is in the castle so he chooses to send Fate Sealers to kill him. Because of the Killing Law which is only exempted to current Ruler (as per the False King's ammendment after taking the throne) William will have to forfeit his challenge and submit to execution since his Sound is dead. Did you understand why there is a version of the story's timeline where William dies if the False King killed Will?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:39

Let me simplify it this way then.... William comes to challenge the False King for the throne, but wait, Will is in the castle so he chooses to send Fate Sealers to kill him. Because of the Killing Law which is only exempted to current Ruler (as per the False King's ammendment after taking the throne) William will have to forfeit his challenge and submit to execution since his Sound is dead. Did you understand why there is a version of the story's timeline where William dies if the False King killed Will?
I understand this - it is the major theme pushing this book forward. Kind of hard to miss!

The previous poster and I were discussing the possibility of a spiritual connection between and echo and his/her sound. Then you chided in saying the spiritual connection was interesting and could be the reason the king put the law into place. Then I responded with why the law of death was placed. then you responded by repeating back to me what I just wrote haha we are going in circles here Ferdinand :roll2:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:08
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:39

I understand this - it is the major theme pushing this book forward. Kind of hard to miss!

The previous poster and I were discussing the possibility of a spiritual connection between and echo and his/her sound. Then you chided in saying the spiritual connection was interesting and could be the reason the king put the law into place. Then I responded with why the law of death was placed. then you responded by repeating back to me what I just wrote haha we are going in circles here Ferdinand :roll2:
I'm officially breaking that cycle...breaking the wheel.lol :lol2:
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Absolutely on board with this idea, resonates with my ideas of the book
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Jade1692 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:53

I think the False King used this specific argument to get the Killing Law enacted.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I’ve not read the book yet but I saw a pretty detailed description and the killing Law was mentioned. I think it’s pretty brutal but in Echoland it is used as a form of Checks and Balance, although it is a harsh law.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The law may not be relevant in our world as its been established by decree as opposed to being natural. Thanks for the question.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

Kro92813 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 23:29
little_nell15 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 14:03 That's an interesting thought. Some kind of Fate Sealers in the Sound world who engineered accidents? But since Sounds seem to be unaware of the existence of echoes maybe not. The book makes it clear that it is an archaic law and quite unnecessary.
That's a very good point. The false king made the law as a part of his elaborate scheme to take over the throne. So I guess the answer very well could be nothing happens to the Sound if an Echo dies first and life just goes on as normal!
That does help make sense of the law. I had trouble coming to terms with that while reading the book, but I'd never thought of it that way before. Thank you for sharing that.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 23:33
Jade1692 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:53

I think the False King used this specific argument to get the Killing Law enacted.
After going back and rereading the chapter on the law of death, the false king did not enact this law. It was actually put into place long before he became king.

The false king took over when his brother was murdered (but they made it look like he died from trying to steal the treasures under the lake). If the false king had used the law of death to take over the throne, then Wills dad (the sound) would have been killed.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Wyland wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 06:22 The law may not be relevant in our world as its been established by decree as opposed to being natural. Thanks for the question.
This is probably true, but I like to think that sounds could be connected to their echoes. It would def add a new depth to the story
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 06:45
Kro92813 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 23:29
little_nell15 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 14:03 That's an interesting thought. Some kind of Fate Sealers in the Sound world who engineered accidents? But since Sounds seem to be unaware of the existence of echoes maybe not. The book makes it clear that it is an archaic law and quite unnecessary.
That's a very good point. The false king made the law as a part of his elaborate scheme to take over the throne. So I guess the answer very well could be nothing happens to the Sound if an Echo dies first and life just goes on as normal!
That does help make sense of the law. I had trouble coming to terms with that while reading the book, but I'd never thought of it that way before. Thank you for sharing that.
I still don't understand whether the law was ancient and put to rest...only reenacted by the False False King or whether it had never existed and The False King put it into effect.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”