The Purpose for Pets

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Daisy May
Currently Reading: Princess Academy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daisy-may.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Re: The Purpose for Pets

Post by Daisy May »

As soon as the pets were introduced I also thought of Golden Compass and I was a little let down when they didn’t add much to the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:36 What do you think was the purpose of the orphanage giving pets to the children residing there? It seemed like it wasn't explained, other than it was a standing tradition. I almost felt the children choosing pets was a strange and unnecessary addition to the story. What do you think?
At first I hoped that the ser ed as companion pets, but it just seemed utilitarian.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 09:49 I just thought of this...in my review I had mentioned that the pets helped develop each character’s personality but now I realize that the pets “echo” the personality of the characters they are matched with. Maybe that’s why pets are an Echoland tradition?
This is an interesting hypothesis, but it makes it seem that the pets have no personalities and only serve to mirror that of their masters.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Daisy May wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 15:46 As soon as the pets were introduced I also thought of Golden Compass and I was a little let down when they didn’t add much to the story.
I believe that this was completely different and served mainly as a companionship tool. In the Golden Compass, daemons were the main pet-like characters who drove the story.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

B Creech wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 01:33 I liked that the children were given pets but I do wish it would have been explained why. Perhaps as a form of comfort to them so they wouldn't feel alone without family?
Exactly. Dew Pellucid should have explained why. I for one, don't believe that this is a major flaw. I had the same impression as you, though.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

You are right. But I think it only for constructing the atmosphere.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:20
Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:36 What do you think was the purpose of the orphanage giving pets to the children residing there? It seemed like it wasn't explained, other than it was a standing tradition. I almost felt the children choosing pets was a strange and unnecessary addition to the story. What do you think?
At first I hoped that the ser ed as companion pets, but it just seemed utilitarian.
What purpose did they serve on your eyes?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 06:49 You are right. But I think it only for constructing the atmosphere.
I like how you said that: "constructing the atmosphere" and I think you are right in saying that!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:07
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:20
What purpose did they serve on your eyes?
I think they served as companions to the young characters who selected them, since that was when most people selected their pets.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:09
Susmita Biswas wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 06:49 You are right. But I think it only for constructing the atmosphere.
I like how you said that: "constructing the atmosphere" and I think you are right in saying that!
I agree with this assessment and the particular phrasing "constructing the atmosphere." The pets were chosen -in the case of Valerie, Will, and Peter- according to their hidden natures. The attitude of the characters and the atmosphere of the story could be indicated by the pets they selected.
Opeyemioladele9060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Opeyemioladele9060 »

it was not explained why they were given a pet (just to have a companion since the children there have been cast away from their families?). I think it was a way to tie in Damian and Dea - the wolf and falcon at the beginning of the book, but I mean Will choosing Wolfea really wasn't that significant to the plot. Wolfea's story was getting adopted by Will, but that not the point...
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Opeyemioladele9060 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 09:32 it was not explained why they were given a pet (just to have a companion since the children there have been cast away from their families?). I think it was a way to tie in Damian and Dea - the wolf and falcon at the beginning of the book, but I mean Will choosing Wolfea really wasn't that significant to the plot. Wolfea's story was getting adopted by Will, but that not the point...
I think you're wrong in that the choosing of Wolfèa was not significant to the plot. Will recognized Wolfèa's wild nature in himself and throughout the book we see how he doesn't fit the mould, how he is set apart, wild, and desperate to get Emmy back and protect his parents from the threat of Fate Sealers.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:22
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 09:49 I just thought of this...in my review, I had mentioned that the pets helped develop each character’s personality but now I realize that the pets “echo” the personality of the characters they are matched with. Maybe that’s why pets are an Echoland tradition?
This is an interesting hypothesis, but it makes it seem that the pets have no personalities and only serve to mirror that of their masters.
Maybe the echo is more in the sense that the personalities are amplified by the pets they chose? I'm thinking more along the lines of yelling into a cavernous space and your voice coming back to you repeatedly (still just speculating for discussion purposes).
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 09:45
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:22
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 09:49 I just thought of this...in my review, I had mentioned that the pets helped develop each character’s personality but now I realize that the pets “echo” the personality of the characters they are matched with. Maybe that’s why pets are an Echoland tradition?
Maybe the echo is more in the sense that the personalities are amplified by the pets they chose? I'm thinking more along the lines of yelling into a cavernous space and your voice coming back to you repeatedly (still just speculating for discussion purposes).
No, I think its more of a give and take. For Will, Wolfèa was not only a companion but a reflection of some of the wild and desperate nature within him...characteristics that were highlighted throughout the story.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

Maybe it controlled the children in a way. They would not try to escape if they had to leave behind something they loved.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”