Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Overall, I enjoyed the book and gave it a 3/4. As with most fantasy novels, it takes a few chapters to get used to the author’s writing style and the world they have created. Once Will’s adventure really gets rolling, it was easy to get into the story and keep reading. I liked how everything came together in the end of the book and my least favorite part was the research in the library. I was eagerly anticipating the final journey and climax so it seemed a bit slow (maybe I just read too slow lol). Still, I would recommend this book to young fantasy readers in their teens.
AutumnBussey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnbussey.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AutumnBussey »

Agreed. I liked the book too but it didn’t give me any particular feelings like chills, tears of joy or sadness or make my heart race. I did feel some confusion about Drinkwater-is he good? Is he bad? And Pellucid’s “eyes”- at first she came off as a bad guy to me. Who lets Fate Sealers wonder around a kids orphanage?
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

There's a lot of interesting parts in this story. Going by the character development , the sample and the review, I am really looking forward to reading this. Fantasy is usually my genre.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I’m still reading it, but I must say, I find parts of the descriptions and prose so vivid and beautiful. It reminds me a lot of a different magical world than Harry Potter, but just so imaginative and artistic. I like that it would appeal to all types of young readers and adults too. :techie-reference:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

AutumnBussey wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 06:57 Agreed. I liked the book too but it didn’t give me any particular feelings like chills, tears of joy or sadness or make my heart race. I did feel some confusion about Drinkwater-is he good? Is he bad? And Pellucid’s “eyes”- at first she came off as a bad guy to me. Who lets Fate Sealers wonder around a kids orphanage?
I still find it odd that fate sealers were aloud to roam around a sanctuary when they are the ones who kill Sounds so they can kill their echo...
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

I really enjoyed reading the book. Some descriptions reminded me of Harry Potter especially the orphanage scenes, but overall, the story and narrative style are unique. I found the Dew Pellucid character in the book rather intriguing but wished she was more than a background presence in the plot. I had difficulty trying to visualise the scene when the author used strange words like 'lucent'. The concept of Fate Sealers killing sounds to kill Echoes legally was weirdly interesting. I liked the subtle humour throughout. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
BrownGirlReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browngirlreads.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by BrownGirlReads »

I enjoyed the concept of the story. I found it to be unique and imaginative, though at points it reminded me of some of the Harry Potter novels (i.e. Book 2 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets). If you were looking for a fantasy adventure novel, I would recommend this novel.

The story was set up very well and provided a substantial amount of details to explain the background. However, one of my issues with the story was that as it progressed and the pace of the novel increased, it was challenging to process the story. At times I had to read the section multiple times. For books that are TOO fast-paced, I often think they are suited for films or television. Through film, you can develop the imagery and characters visually while keeping the pace you desire. Because the story moved rather quickly after the second chapter, I felt it lacked some character development for the supporting characters like Will’s friends and the Prince.

Overall, I gave the novel a rating of 3 out of 4. It is a well-written fantasy novel that will captivate adults and young readers alike.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

BrownGirlReads wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 17:19 I enjoyed the concept of the story. I found it to be unique and imaginative, though at points it reminded me of some of the Harry Potter novels (i.e. Book 2 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets). If you were looking for a fantasy adventure novel, I would recommend this novel.

The story was set up very well and provided a substantial amount of details to explain the background. However, one of my issues with the story was that as it progressed and the pace of the novel increased, it was challenging to process the story. At times I had to read the section multiple times. For books that are TOO fast-paced, I often think they are suited for films or television. Through film, you can develop the imagery and characters visually while keeping the pace you desire. Because the story moved rather quickly after the second chapter, I felt it lacked some character development for the supporting characters like Will’s friends and the Prince.

Overall, I gave the novel a rating of 3 out of 4. It is a well-written fantasy novel that will captivate adults and young readers alike.
I agree with your rating and reasonings! I wavered between 2 or 3 stars because I found her writing style to be a bit confusing. I did end up reading the first half of the book and was able to pick up on a bunch of stuff I had missed or hadnt understood yet the first time I had read it. I ended up rating 3 stars because I thought the story was unique and had a lot of minute details that linked together in creative ways in time. I just couldnt find a great groove with the writing style.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

Well, I am a fantasy buff but I couldn't really get into this book. I think it must have just been me as so many other people have enjoyed it! The world-building was very detailed, but I was often lost as to what was happening. I'm glad so many others enjoyed the story.
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

AKShanmar12 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 18:47 Well, I am a fantasy buff but I couldn't really get into this book. I think it must have just been me as so many other people have enjoyed it! The world-building was very detailed, but I was often lost as to what was happening. I'm glad so many others enjoyed the story.
I would have to agree with you! I found myself lost quite a bit but Iended up reading halfway and then starting over and it made a lot more sense the second time. You shouldn't have to do that to understand a book, but there were so many small details that were missed the firfirsfirfirst time I read it because she had a tendency to reveal something a while after she mentions it the first time
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I really enjoyed this book. Sometimes I got confused with all the different groups and characters. But after going back, reading the explanations again and seeing how some of the random characters tied in, it all made sense. I honestly really loved the story and there were times the writing or explanations didn’t flow well, but then you would hit a spot where the writing was funny and so vivid, it made up for it all. Plus the illustrations were gorgeous.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

The Crystilleries of Echoland was an entertaining book that should be read in short intervals. It teemed with extraordinary characters, some of whom contributed almost nothing to the plot. In my review of it I gave a four star rating, though, because it was so very imaginative. The idea of writing yourself into the plot is something I never encountered before. This is only one of the surprises in the story. I would recommend it to my sci fi friends. It is not age restricted.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

"I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars because every one of the 365 pages contains magic, beauty, imaginative ideas, fun, and fear. We learn about friendships and facing dangers, and never losing faith. Pellucid provides such well-chosen examples of personification: When talking about a Fate Sealer, she says, “five rasps slinked from his throat in place of laughter”, when talking about Will, she says, “Will’s heart leaped into his mouth and kidnapped his voice”, and again when talking about Will’s Dad, she says, "of course,” "answered the newspaper, unsurprised.”"
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

The echoes of the parallel world remind me more of Alice Through the Looking Glass. Interesting worlds to explore, anyway. Definitely not less than three stars out of four.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I love fantasies, so I loved the book after reading the sample only. I wish to read it soon. It sounds like a story of great adventures.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”