Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
bethfeizet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethfeizet.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Post by bethfeizet »

I rated the book 3 out of 4.
I am a lover of fantasy and definitely enjoyed the fresh world created by Pellucid. Creating an entire world that is both unique and is explained well enough to be plausible was a pleasure. It's very frustrating when authors have a great original idea but can't pull off the meshing of day to day activities with the rules of their created world.
I had two negatives. One, it was a bit confusing- especially the start of the book. Two, although I felt the themes would grip a teen audience (parental support is torn away, parents are a bit zombieish, sister needs rescuing, stuck in school) I also felt that the themes of violence and torture were a bit on the mature side. So, although it was best suited for a young adult, it was also not suited for a young adult.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

The title given to the book is enough to convince someone to read it.Will have to read it to find out more about the echoes and the sounds.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I haven't got the time to read this but I will soon. I enjoy fantasy novels and I look forward to reading this.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

I found the beginning of this book interesting and weird. Reminds me a little of the story, The Never-Ending Story. Has anyone seen the movie of that story?
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:41 I finished it the other day and like it overall. The concept is original, but the world-building reminds me of Harry Potter's world. The story follows the magical quest of a twelve-year-old boy, as he goes into the parallel Echo realm to search for his missing sister. I love the idea of a parallel world, where reflections (echoes) of people (sounds) live. The illustrations added to the magic of the world. I enjoyed the scene where the pets revealed their true selves. Although I didn't notice any glaring errors, the writing was a bit juvenile. Still, I liked it. The orphanage reminded me of Hogwarts with his methods of serving meals, riddles, secret passages, and scary creatures that roamed the school. I loved that Hebrew was the key to the map and to saving Echoland. I liked that animals played a large role throughout the story. I also liked the play on words such as: the dog Poudini instead of Houdini; Crystalmas instead of Christmas. I enjoyed the book, but the plot felt a bit choppy at times, the fate sealers seemed to attack without any reason, and some parts dragged (the translation section). Therefore, I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.
I totally agree with you! There were several aspects that reminded me of Harry Potter. I think it would have been better if even if a slight twist was put on these ideas so that there was no longer such a strong resemblance. However, it is overall a well-written and exciting book.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

bethfeizet wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 13:24 I rated the book 3 out of 4.
I am a lover of fantasy and definitely enjoyed the fresh world created by Pellucid. Creating an entire world that is both unique and is explained well enough to be plausible was a pleasure. It's very frustrating when authors have a great original idea but can't pull off the meshing of day to day activities with the rules of their created world.
I had two negatives. One, it was a bit confusing- especially the start of the book. Two, although I felt the themes would grip a teen audience (parental support is torn away, parents are a bit zombieish, sister needs rescuing, stuck in school) I also felt that the themes of violence and torture were a bit on the mature side. So, although it was best suited for a young adult, it was also not suited for a young adult.
Yes, I totally agree with you. If I was a young teenager reading this I think I would be a little shocked with some of the seemingly random and intense situations of violence, and yet all the other themes seemed catered to that age group.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I may not be a fan of magic, but the author used in ways that was interesting to read.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I rated the book 3 out of 4. The story was interesting and I can see that Echoland was a very well thought of world by the author. However, the narrative felt bumpy to me, and the way the story was told in some places was a bit confusing.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 22:41 This is a discussion topic for the September 2019 Book of the Month, The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
I couldn't finish it. The premise was okay, but it just got too complicated for me!! Guess fantasy is not my best area.
ernest mwangemi

the suspense in the book is out of imagination..its awesome
ernest mwangemi

Echoland is the best place to be I think,, it's quite a book on a different level.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

I have read the book and I recommend this to people who love to read teen fiction. The book is riddled with many plot twists and mysteries waiting to be uncovered.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

To be honest i haven't read the bookbut i read many reviews and the book seems intriguing. I love fiction stories and the concept of parallel universe used here is good. I am adding this to my To Read shelf.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:

ernest mwangemi wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 12:41 the suspense in the book is out of imagination..its awesome
I am honestly thinking it to read asap.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:

Falconcrest wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 07:38 I would definitely recommend this book. From what I have learned from the literature I have been reading. I love the fact that the main character Will exists in parallel worlds and his quest to rescue his sister is something a lot of us can identify with.
Thank you. I am intriguedinthis parallel universe concept .

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”