Favorite and less favorite characters

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Favorite and less favorite characters

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:57
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 14:22
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:19

I really liked Emmy and Valerie but they were not overly explored in this book.
And Valerie really could have contributed more! She could have been like Hermione for will and Peter ;)
I liked Valerie from the beginning of the book with her pet selection and her adventurous personality. I hoped she would have gotten a large part ro play in the story but that sid not happen.
And there were many of missed opportunities to do so! But valerie was an echo and will and Peter are sounds so due to segregation the really couldn't be good friends
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 07:23
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 14:22

And Valerie really could have contributed more! She could have been like Hermione for will and Peter ;)
I liked Valerie from the beginning of the book with her pet selection and her adventurous personality. I hoped she would have gotten a large part ro play in the story but that sid not happen.
And there were many of missed opportunities to do so! But valerie was an echo and will and Peter are sounds so due to segregation the really couldn't be good friends
I don't think that was the reason...due to her pet selection and her previous stay in Shadowpain, Valerie needed to feel free...to know she was free. The Wandering Albatross enabled this freedom away from the Orphanage and its fate sealers. If Will had promised such freedom in his adventures (which he couldn't since he didn't know) they would have gotten along great. They were just aquitances.
MellaBella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellabella.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by MellaBella »

My favorite was definitely Auralius. He was eh at first but completely turned around into a hero of sorts. My least favorite was hands down Victor. Sly and creepy. Even though in the beginning of the story it was known yet, but I never liked him. Too sketchy lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 07:27
Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 07:23

I don't think that was the reason...due to her pet selection and her previous stay in Shadowpain, Valerie needed to feel free...to know she was free. The Wandering Albatross enabled this freedom away from the Orphanage and its fate sealers. If Will had promised such freedom in his adventures (which he couldn't since he didn't know) they would have gotten along great. They were just aquitances.
Were there any cases in the book of echos and sounds dining together, bunking together, having classes together, etc?

And I thought her being rescued from shadow pain was a lie valerian had made up
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

MellaBella wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 13:49 My favorite was definitely Auralius. He was eh at first but completely turned around into a hero of sorts. My least favorite was hands down Victor. Sly and creepy. Even though in the beginning of the story it was known yet, but I never liked him. Too sketchy lol
I agree there was just something not quite right about him. He seemed too good to be true
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

My favourite character is Will, the courageous one. The character that I like least is Warloch the cruel man.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I like Will, he's the character I can get behind and root for.
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

I actually enjoyed Victor Valerian quite a bit. He had quite a bit of depth compared to other characters, despite his designs on others.
For the least favorite, I'd lean towards Will's father. He seemed far too disengaged even with the loss his family was suffering at the beginning. Very flat.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I really loved Auralius as a character. I loved how he was angry and gruff on the surface but deep down caring and heroic.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

MellaBella wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 13:49 My favorite was definitely Auralius. He was eh at first but completely turned around into a hero of sorts. My least favorite was hands down Victor. Sly and creepy. Even though in the beginning of the story it was known yet, but I never liked him. Too sketchy lol
I agree! My favorite character was definitely Auralius because of his character development that made him really endearing and needed.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:52 While I really liked almost all of the characters, I found myself liking Auralius the best. He was surly and angry and first, but he admitted when he was wrong, apologized for his mistakes, and ended up coming through for his friends and being a reliable and brave character.

While I disliked the Fate Sealers, after hearing how they were trained, it was hard to do much more than pity them. Victor Valerian however, was a villain through and through. He was sneaky and conniving, which makes him the least likable character for me.
I totally agree with you! I really liked Auralius because of how he changed as a character and by the end of the book was kind of the hero of the moment.
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

Peter was my favorite character. He brought an appropriate amount of humor to the story and was a well developed character. My least favorite character was Warloch because he was cruel to humans and animals.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I loved Will and Peter the best. Victor Valerian earned my dislike as the villain.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I find it quite hard chosing between Arellius and will for my favourite character. Fate Sealers are definately my worst character...so cruel and scary.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”