Favorite and less favorite characters

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Favorite and less favorite characters

Post by gali »

How did you feel about the characters? Whom did you like or not like and why?

I think they were believable. I liked will the best and thought he conducted himself well. I also liked Peter. He was a great sidekick. I disliked Victor Valerian because of his conduct.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Leah39 »

While I really liked almost all of the characters, I found myself liking Auralius the best. He was surly and angry and first, but he admitted when he was wrong, apologized for his mistakes, and ended up coming through for his friends and being a reliable and brave character.

While I disliked the Fate Sealers, after hearing how they were trained, it was hard to do much more than pity them. Victor Valerian however, was a villain through and through. He was sneaky and conniving, which makes him the least likable character for me.
gali
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by gali »

Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:52 While I really liked almost all of the characters, I found myself liking Auralius the best. He was surly and angry and first, but he admitted when he was wrong, apologized for his mistakes, and ended up coming through for his friends and being a reliable and brave character.

While I disliked the Fate Sealers, after hearing how they were trained, it was hard to do much more than pity them. Victor Valerian however, was a villain through and through. He was sneaky and conniving, which makes him the least likable character for me.
Auralius was a great character indeed! He was another one I liked after Will.

The training of the Fate Sealers was cruel and made them soulless, which I guess was the purpose of it.

I liked Victor Valerian at first until he showed his true face! Now, he is one of my least likable characters as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Leah39
Currently Reading:

Post by Leah39 »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:05
Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:52 While I really liked almost all of the characters, I found myself liking Auralius the best. He was surly and angry and first, but he admitted when he was wrong, apologized for his mistakes, and ended up coming through for his friends and being a reliable and brave character.

Auralius was a great character indeed! He was another one I liked after Will.

The training of the Fate Sealers was cruel and made them soulless, which I guess was the purpose of it.

I liked Victor Valerian at first until he showed his true face! Now, he is one of my least likable characters as well.
I didn't trust him from the start - he just seemed off and always in the right place at the right time, with his soothing voice. And Valerie only seemed to want to get away from him. He just seemed wrong. I felt like Drinkwater was good at first, then bad and then came through in the end. The author always kept me guessing, which I like. Nobody enjoys a predictable story.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

My favorite character's were Auralius and Damian. They were all cool and broody. Future antihero and hero in the making. My least favorite was Rufus Warloch. The author wrote his character well. I disliked it so much. The worst person to be in charge of the animals. I also liked Auralius' mother. 😀😀
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
KCWolf
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KCWolf »

I liked Arellius, Will, De'a and Damon the most. I was also amused with Drinkwater and found it comical the way Will saw him as "Dr. Frankenstien".

I disliked the Fate Sealers the most, just because they were so creepy and scary. The author definitely did a great job of bringing them to life.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Leah39
Currently Reading:

Post by Leah39 »

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:29 My favorite character's were Auralius and Damian. They were all cool and broody. Future antihero and hero in the making. My least favorite was Rufus Warloch. The author wrote his character well. I disliked it so much. The worst person to be in charge of the animals. I also liked Auralius' mother. 😀😀
Oh, I forgot about Warloch! He was awful too! Even worse than Victor Valerian, because he was cruel to people AND animals! I can't stand people who hurt animals. Good point.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I have to admit I disliked Auralius at first, but he grew on me over time. Still, my favorite character is probably Peter, whose banter with Will often made me chuckle. I didn't like how the book handles the false king since he barely has any relevance until the very end, when he comes out of nowhere to kill Will. It didn't feel particularly interesting as I wasn't invested in this confrontation.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

For the favourite character, it's of course Peter. I loved his mischief and his bonding with Peter.

For the Worst one it's definitely Warloch. I mean how can one do what he does?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Peter was probably my favorite and the fate sealers my least favorite. Besides will and peter I didnt feel like we really got to know anyone else
ab2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab2020.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ab2020 »

I liked Will a lot - his perspective was interesting/insightful, and the reader gets to know him pretty well. Peter was also quite likeable.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

My favorite character was Will, although I liked Peter too. My least favorite was Warloch. He was cruel to both children and animals which I find unlikable in any circumstance! The author did a good job of writing the personalities of all the characters.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

My favorite character is Peter. His role in the story reminds me a bit of Sam Gamgee from Lord of the Rings. I love Peter’s humor, loyalty, and good-hearted nature.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I loved Emmy! Though she rarely appeared, she was fun and mischievous with Will's best interests at heart. Most of the cast were great, to be honest, but Emmy won my heart. On the other hand, I really hated the Gate Keeper. Animal cruelty is something I dislike immensely.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 21:09 I loved Emmy! Though she rarely appeared, she was fun and mischievous with Will's best interests at heart. Most of the cast were great, to be honest, but Emmy won my heart. On the other hand, I really hated the Gate Keeper. Animal cruelty is something I dislike immensely.
It's interesting that both your favorite and least favorite charachters both played such a minor role in the story :)

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”