The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

The Ending

Post by gali »

What did you think about the ending? Did you feel that the resolution came too quickly? I thought it was ok and liked that the author tied all loose ends while leaving room to a sequel.

Did you like the plot twist at the end? Were you surprised by the killer's identity? I was!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I think the author did a great job tying up loose ends. I was not surprised by the killer of the king, but was surprised by the reason. He got what was coming though, his hand was chopped for his efforts.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Overall, I enjoyed the ending. I can't say I was all that surprised about the twist, but it was well-executed. I didn't really like the false king's confrontation with Will as it felt too late for me to care about the man. Sure, he was the one responsible for most of the problems in the kingdom, but I was never particularly invested in him. This could've been fixed by some chapters from the prince's point of view, which would also do wonders to build the prince himself more as a character.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

I love a book that ties up all the loose ends neatly, especially when it presents the possibility for a sequel. I didn't feel that the ending was rushed at all, especially after all the action that had occurred throughout the book. I liked that even at the end, there was still a twist that I didn't quite expect.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Idk when I read the epilogue and finished the story I thought "okay...that's it?"

I wasnt all that impressed

The climactic scene at the end answered all the lingering questions but the last few chapters after that felt a little rushed to get in some last minute details. I also dont really think Tear was all that important of a character to revisit.
Sana Rabbani
Currently Reading: Geraldine
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-rabbani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sana Rabbani »

I enjoyed the ending overall despite the fact that it didn't had the potential to just blow one's mind completely. It was quite a good one though.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The ending was fine, if a bit anti climactic. I thought the plot twist eas executed quite well but I don't know that the part with the false king left that much of an impact. I'm hoping the epilogue was leading into a sequel though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:03 What did you think about the ending? Did you feel that the resolution came too quickly? I thought it was ok and liked that the author tied all loose ends while leaving room to a sequel.

Did you like the plot twist at the end? Were you surprised by the killer's identity? I was!
I thought the author did a good job of ending the book. It didn't feel too rushed. While I do have some questions still, I agree that she did a good job of tying up loose ends, but she left enough questions to keep readers interested in another book. I wasn't surprised by the killer's identity, but I still love the way Pellucid wove the story together.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Tomah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 13:50 Overall, I enjoyed the ending. I can't say I was all that surprised about the twist, but it was well-executed. I didn't really like the false king's confrontation with Will as it felt too late for me to care about the man. Sure, he was the one responsible for most of the problems in the kingdom, but I was never particularly invested in him. This could've been fixed by some chapters from the prince's point of view, which would also do wonders to build the prince himself more as a character.
I agree. I think a bit of the princes POV would have been a fun way to change the story a bit as well as build his character. The prince wasn't a very strong supporting character. Especially for as "important" as he was
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I also dosnt expect to see the false king at all in this book and I think it would have been fine if he never actually had shown up
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:03 What did you think about the ending? Did you feel that the resolution came too quickly? I thought it was ok and liked that the author tied all loose ends while leaving room to a sequel.

I was surprised by the plot twist at the end and I hope the author covers alot in the sequel.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

I didn't have any problem with the ending. The book had a good end. There might be a sequel, though.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 01:35

I didn't have any problem with the ending. The book had a good end. There might be a sequel, though.
I think there could be a sequel with how she ended the book
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:10
Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 01:35

I think there could be a sequel with how she ended the book
Emmy's PoV promised more adventures with Will and hopefully the author picks that as the sequel.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

as for being surprised by the killers identity - I had a feeling it was Valerian, but was thinking it could have been the false king as well.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”