The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The Ending

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:33 as for being surprised by the killers identity - I had a feeling it was Valerian, but was thinking it could have been the false king as well.
No, I had not suspected Valerian at the end, and did not even think him guilty of killing William's father.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:14
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:33 as for being surprised by the killers identity - I had a feeling it was Valerian, but was thinking it could have been the false king as well.
No, I had not suspected Valerian at the end, and did not even think him guilty of killing William's father.
See it's interesting how each individual interprets a book in their own way! You didnt suspect Valerian, but I did! Very cool how that works :)
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

All of the loose ends were tied in the end, which is always nice in a story. The author also left it open for a sequel. However, in my opinion, something was missing from the end of the story. I was getting excited about the ending, but it seemed very non-eventful when it actually came. I'm not sure what I expected, but I think the author could have done something different.

As far as the killer, I was not too surprised. He always seemed a bit off, had a position of power before, and knew about the Ant room.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:42 All of the loose ends were tied in the end, which is always nice in a story. The author also left it open for a sequel. However, in my opinion, something was missing from the end of the story. I was getting excited about the ending, but it seemed very non-eventful when it actually came. I'm not sure what I expected, but I think the author could have done something different.

As far as the killer, I was not too surprised. He always seemed a bit off, had a position of power before, and knew about the Ant room.
I thought the false kings appearance was odd, abrupt, and out of place. I also thought it was wierd to revisit Tear at the end. I know Will promised to go back to him, but I thought his character was so insignificant that revisiting him really had no purpose.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:39
See it's interesting how each individual interprets a book in their own way! You didnt suspect Valerian, but I did! Very cool how that works :)
The interpretation of a single book by multiple people can trully lead to another complete book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:42 All of the loose ends were tied in the end, which is always nice in a story. The author also left it open for a sequel. However, in my opinion, something was missing from the end of the story. I was getting excited about the ending, but it seemed very non-eventful when it actually came. I'm not sure what I expected, but I think the author could have done something different.

I liked how the subplots came to be closed in the end and how the False King came to meet his end. It was an amazing ending that promised future adventures.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:05

I thought the false kings appearance was odd, abrupt, and out of place. I also thought it was wierd to revisit Tear at the end. I know Will promised to go back to him, but I thought his character was so insignificant that revisiting him really had no purpose.
I actually expected to see the False King around that time, but not to meet a vulnerable Will in person and try to kill him. That was an exciting and unexpected twist that made the book better.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 00:24

I actually expected to see the False King around that time, but not to meet a vulnerable Will in person and try to kill him. That was an exciting and unexpected twist that made the book better.
I mean, I am glad the false king met his end. He was just talked about throughout the story without ever physically making anappearance. He did at the enend for such a quick scene that it seemed abrupt and bizarre to me.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 00:21
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:39

The interpretation of a single book by multiple people can trully lead to another complete book.
Infinite versions!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 11:07

I mean, I am glad the false king met his end. He was just talked about throughout the story without ever physically making anappearance. He did at the enend for such a quick scene that it seemed abrupt and bizarre to me.
Like the author remembered another antagonist who might stand in Will and William's way, found the perfect place to insert him in the story, and got rid of him as fast as possible...to make sure the book ended with a fairly resolved plot.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 12:35
Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 11:07
Like the author remembered another antagonist who might stand in Will and William's way, found the perfect place to insert him in the story, and got rid of him as fast as possible...to make sure the book ended with a fairly resolved plot.
Yes! I guess I wouldnt have found it so odd if the false king was given a little bit more time in the story
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I feel that the end of the book dropped off in suspense may be a beginning for a part 2
Chelsea N. Hackett
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Overall, the ending just felt too abrupt and sudden to me, the climax was just too quick. However, I did like how everything was resolved so neatly and with the possibility for a second book. I was also surprised by the killer, but with that they had more development.
~Roxie~
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I liked the ending. It didn't feel too rushed and I felt it was nice and neat with no loose ends.
Kikijanika
Currently Reading: War Storm
Bookshelf Size: 760
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikijanika.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Kikijanika »

I was not really surprised by the killer. I always thought there was something shady about him. The ending was ok. I liked how we were not told if things actually changed in Echoland.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”