Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Re: Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I haven't found a more cruel scene than the drowning of the puppies. I honestly didn't see how it otherwise advanced the plot; I believe it was an unnecessary inclusion.
Bet on Me! :idea:
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I think the keeper was there to add danger. He was a threat not only to the animals but also to Will because he was so capable of cruel actions. There was suspense when he appeared in a scene because we didn't know what he might do to Will and the other humans.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Marlaszw wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 19:07 I think in a book like this there has to be some disturbing moments. The evil that the character needs to confront and fight must be revealed. Most great children's stories have scary and/or disturbing scenes. I don't think this book was any more disturbing than many other young adult books I have read, and I have read hundreds. The courage of the hero cannot be revealed without also revealing at least a glimpse of the darkness he must fight.
I totally agree! In real life, there are disturbing events and people. For example, hundreds of years ago two young princes were sent to the Tower of London and never heard from again. It's speculated that they were killed or ordered to be killed by their uncle to clear his way to the throne, but no one really knows. People harm children and animals all the time. And as readers we need to feel the danger Will and Emmy are in for suspense and relief when they succeed. Were all the events absolutely necessary? Maybe not, but I do think they added danger and made us unsure about what the character was capable of.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The gatekeeper's cruelty did not add up at all. It was pointless, without cause and plain wickedness. I might add that his character was largely irrelevant in the plot.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-okoye-2.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

More than one disturbing scenes are right up in my head. I found the way Drinkwater was repeatedly stabbed disturbing; and I find it hard understanding why the Game keeper drowned those puppies that way...so cruel.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”