Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:31
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:33
ciecheesemeister wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 16:43 Child deaths and kidnapping are always uncomfortable subjects. I also agree with those who said the drowning of the puppies was disturbing.
And to think the gravestone book is filled with thousands of other stories, like will andemmy's, of children kidnapped by fate dealers and they are never seen again...
Just thinking of how many Sound families that were affected by the fate sealers was extremely disheartening and uncomfortable.
I wasnt sure if they were all from the same area in Alaska or if this was a worldwide thing. Either way, uncomfortable indeed
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:02
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 21:08
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:50
Yes, it was a gruesome start to Will's journey, not knowing whether his parents would live or die. It was certainly uncomfortable.
Will knew they were ok before he left. Damien told will that his father was thawing by the fire and had will thaw his mom out with the hot water hose by the lake.
But just the attack and watching his parents appear frozen in death. it must have been a rude awakening to the kind of danger he faced, it was particularly uncomfortable for me.
Oh yes. Super uncomfortable! It was definitely a nod at what dangers were to come
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:05
LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 11:20 Because of such a strange setting and ambiance I was uncomfortable from the start to the end. That got me wondering if anyone feels that it's a book they will want to read more than once. If I come across a book very well written I know it will at least get a second read from me but not with this one. I don't expect all stories to give me "warm fuzzies" but I think it will be a while before I dive into this one again. I wanted to know: " Did you enjoy this
book so much that you definitely will read it again at a later date? In spite of the uncomfortable feelings it produces?". L-L.
While this book had an amazing adventure, I think I wouldn't reread it because what stood out the most was Fate Sealers, the Game Keeper, Victor Valorian, and the false king- all who went out of their way to make me uncomfortable and upset throughout the book.
Any good book is worth rereading twice - even if scenes can be jarring they shouldn't be scarring. I'd say read it again - you will be surprised at what you missed the first time!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:08
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:20
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:52

It was uncomfortable to think of two year-old Emmy in Shadowpain.
And to spend so much time there. I can't imagine what she endured and had to witness while their
Sending two year old Emmy to Shadowpain and what experiences she must have had there was uncomfortable for me. It just seemed unnecessarily cruel to do that to a child.
Cruel indeed! But I'm going to end this thread because you keep repeating the same responses over and over again (which is considered a fluffy post) and it's making me uncomfortable
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:10
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:22
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:53

I don't think she came out okay, it's just that her PoV was non-existent making it impossible to see the scars of Shadowpain.
This is true, but she came off as a normal character. She was crafty and helpful. Snarky at times. She didn't seem to be deeply wounded. Not that shewasn't, but it definitely was hidden,
Although she came off as normal, I wouldn't be that quick to discount the scars she had from being in Shadowpain growing up. I think she was just exceptional at hiding the scars.
I believe anyone would be emotionally scarred after spending that much time surrounded by evil. I'm sure she was/is a bit damaged from her experiences - it just wasnt portrayed in this book
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:20
Jachike 1 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 09:29
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 17:11
The way mixed breed people were treated in Echoland was uncomfortable. They were branded mongrels, and hunted down to be slaughtered.
Yes. It was terrible. Makes me more grateful to be living in this dispensation.
It was uncomfortable to see how they treated harmonic puppies, how they called harmonies mongrels, and how it was a death sentence in Echoland if you were a harmony.
And the fact a group stood by and watched. Some laughing! Just shows how desensitized they had become
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:22
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:26
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:53

I don't know if she came out okay, but it was definitely uncomfortable to think how the fate sealers might have tortured a two year old in Shadowpain.
Very sad indeed. Since echoes become fate dealers. I doubt she was tortured in quite the same manner, but I can't imagine them showing any kindness towards the infant
Just the thought of the kind of cruelty they would show a two year old Emmy in Shadowpain made me extremely uncomfortable and filled with rage. For any human and especially parents, this is an uncomfortable thought.
And the fact she was a child is so much worse! Send an adult to shadow pain for 5 years and that's a tragedy. Send an infant for 5 years and its a travesty!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:23
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:34
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 17:08

The drowning of puppies was extremely uncomfortable, it felt like clubbing baby seals.
Oh jeez! Although a sad part of the book, I thought it was brief and drove the point home
The glee with which the act was performed was uncomfortable. It was like how uncomfortable Fate Sealers treat torture and pain with such joy.
For sure! Because in his demented mind he was doing echo land a favor by ridding it of one more halfbreed
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:27
Jachike 1 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 14:35
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:46
The Game Keeper and Fate Sealers willingness to harm pets especially the drowning of puppies came off as overly uncomfortable for me.
Imagine what it feels like for me then, coming from a culture where people actually relish eating dog meat. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong part of the world 😒
Oh boy! Wild dogs I hope! But some countries view horse meat as a delicacy and here they are pets...to each his own I guess?
Sadly, not wild dogs. We don't really a lot of those in my country. So it's more like stray dogs. Plus, some parts of my country eat horse meat too. Almost everything is on the menu in this part of the world😔. But yeah, it's like you said, to each his own.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:30
Jachike 1 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 14:37
Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:57

It was sad, but brief. And it drove the point home in how mongrels were treated in echoland. They were supposed to be killed. So it wasnt necessarily the fact that they were pups but that they were mixed breeds. It definitly did its job to get everyone's attention!
It definitely got my attention as well — just not in the way I would have wanted...but I get your point and I agree.
What do you mean by not in the way you would have wanted?
The author was trying to paint an accurate picture of the cruelty of the times. And while his depiction got the intended reaction, I just wish it wasn't with pups getting drowned or any kind of animal or human maltreatment. But I get that it was necessary so kudos to the author.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:20
The way mixed breed people were treated in Echoland was uncomfortable. They were branded mongrels, and hunted down to be slaughtered.
It was uncomfortable to see how they treated harmonic puppies, how they called harmonies mongrels, and how it was a death sentence in Echoland if you were a harmony.
Yes it was an uncomfortable situation to read about.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:37
Definitely grateful for the times we live in. The mongrels are parallel to how blacks and whites were segregated in the u.s. and is reminiscent of the holocaust.
I thought of segregation too. A classic example of dehumanizing a sect or group of people. I can certainly draw the parallels between both situations.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:32
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:30
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:37
Definitely grateful for the times we live in. The mongrels are parallel to how blacks and whites were segregated in the u.s. and is reminiscent of the holocaust.
I still prefer calling them harmonies...mongrels seems like a derogatory term meant as an insult.
It is derogatory and supposed to make you feel filthy. When talking about how it makes me uncomfortable I'd rather use the uncomfortable name. Harmonies are not treated poorly, but "mongrels" are.
I think I find such titles uncomfortable and derogatory "mongrels", "negroes", "apes"...and so many others. I feel like the acceptance of using such titles sets a bad precedent.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:33
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:31
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:33

And to think the gravestone book is filled with thousands of other stories, like will andemmy's, of children kidnapped by fate dealers and they are never seen again...
Just thinking of how many Sound families that were affected by the fate sealers was extremely disheartening and uncomfortable.
I wasnt sure if they were all from the same area in Alaska or if this was a worldwide thing. Either way, uncomfortable indeed
The number of Sound families affected by fate sealers was uncomfortable, and because it had not drawn that mich attention I would believe it was widespread.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:31
Jachike 1 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 14:40
Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:45
That was the point though - to show the cruelty to mixed breeds in echoland. They were not treated like living beings. More like something unnatural to dispose of.
So I'm trying to draw a correlation between the time the story was set in and today's world with animal rights and everything — I'm drawing a blank so far and rightly so.
I think in the story that the drowning of the pups wasn't about the animals or animal rights at all. It symbolized the treatment of the HUMAN mixed breeds in echo land (the half echo half sounds).
Yeah, I got that. Still, it didn't make the drowning of the pups any more comfortable for me.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”