Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
I agree those were the worst parts, but I was also uncomfortable with Emmy being taken to Shadowpain. That seemed unnecessarily cruel because of how young she was. And her PTSD seems to be unhandled, like she has not had counseling. Those were also uncomfortable for me.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:57
gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I agree those were the worst parts, but I was also uncomfortable with Emmy being taken to Shadowpain. That seemed unnecessarily cruel because of how young she was. And her PTSD seems to be unhandled, like she has not had counseling. Those were also uncomfortable for me.
Yes! Emmy ending up in Shadowpain was horrible and definitely a bit alarming to read and the unnecessary harm to the animals. It made me glad I had my puppy beside me!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:14 I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
So the book's been noted for the similarities to the Harry Potter series right? This actually reminds me of an uncomfortable problem with this subgenre where the people in charge often keep employing rather cruel persons who are allowed near kids. The Game Keeper is rather reminiscent of Argus Filch in that way and it really bothers me how much he was willing to hurt Will's wolf.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:57

Yeah. Emmy's pain was definitely something that felt unnecessarily cruel.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

The drowning of the puppies was so cruel! That was a part that really bothered me!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:14 I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
I agree he really did not play a major part except to be angry and harmful to the animals. I feel there were a lot of jnderdeveloped charachters
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I didn't understand why the Game Keeper was a part of the book at all. He didn't help develop the plot and was horrible to the animals and children. His killing the wolf pups really bothered me and seemed completely unnecessary, other than to make the reader dislike him.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:56 I didn't understand why the Game Keeper was a part of the book at all. He didn't help develop the plot and was horrible to the animals and children. His killing the wolf pups really bothered me and seemed completely unnecessary, other than to make the reader dislike him.
Perhaps, Pellucid added the Game Keeper in the story to shed light on people who take care of animals - veterinarians or directors of animal shelters - aren't always kind to or truly care about animals. You bring up a good point; the scene with the pups seemed out of place. I wish that scene or the salt-water scene had not been added because it not only made me uncomfortable but sad too. They reminded me of real life.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 21:55
Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:56 I didn't understand why the Game Keeper was a part of the book at all. He didn't help develop the plot and was horrible to the animals and children. His killing the wolf pups really bothered me and seemed completely unnecessary, other than to make the reader dislike him.
Perhaps, Pellucid added the Game Keeper in the story to shed light on people who take care of animals - veterinarians or directors of animal shelters - aren't always kind to or truly care about animals.
You may be right about that. It just seemed so out of place.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I agree! Those parts were terribly difficult for me to read, but it definitely made me even more invested in the characters' fight to overcome the villains in the book.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I thought several scenes in the book were pretty dark for child readers—for example, the vicious fight with the Fate Sealers where we see an old man (Drinkwater) get repeatedly stabbed, or the scenes where Will can see drowned bodies floating beneath the surface of the frozen lake. And definitely the puppy-drowning scene was really disturbing. These scenes weren’t overly grotesque, but I can see how they could be really upsetting to younger readers.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I didn't really think much of the harm to the pets. I do care about animals but it isn't a sensitive topic for me. Overall I thought the book was appropriate for all audiences.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I think the point of drowning the pups was because it was a mongrel pup and its echo (half echo half sound). This showed how half-breeds were viewed and disposed of in Echoland.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”