The Prince

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

The Prince

Post by gali »

What did you think about the Prince and his deal with the Fortune Tellers? I thought he was not active enough, and he let Will do most of the work. Will had to dodge enemies, while the Prince was left to his own means (most of the time).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I didn't really like the prince. He was exactly what a prince should be. At times he commanded autority, at times he was diplomatic like when he received the healing plant, and later he was cunning in how he handled Valarian and the fortune tellers, but I did not like his characters relationship with Emmy. I didn't see one. I know he was busy trying to get rid of his uncle, but isn't Emmy's echo his sister? I felt no familial bond at all. She was more bonded to William than the prince. :(
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Indeed, the prince was an underdeveloped and underutilized character, in my opinion. I actually liked him overall, but he just doesn't do all that much. I think he should've been more of a secondary protagonist so that we could see what he's up to while Will goes on adventures.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Yeah, I think the price was totally an offbeat character which was present to let Will's character grow.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

I feel like the prince's character wasn't developed enough. He popped in for some scenes, but left most of the hard work to Will, Auralius, and Peter. For many parts of the story, he was off doing his own thing. I think it could have been interesting to hear more of his story, and to find out what he was doing when he wasn't with the other characters. I did like how he had a plan to allow Fortis Fortuna to underestimate his abilities and think he'd be easily controlled as a young king. Hopefully the author was setting the stage for a sequel.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 10:07 I didn't really like the prince. He was exactly what a prince should be. At times he commanded autority, at times he was diplomatic like when he received the healing plant, and later he was cunning in how he handled Valarian and the fortune tellers, but I did not like his characters relationship with Emmy. I didn't see one. I know he was busy trying to get rid of his uncle, but isn't Emmy's echo his sister? I felt no familial bond at all. She was more bonded to William than the prince. :(
That's because it was Emmy the Sound at the orphanage - not her Echo. Her Echo (the princes sister) had been murdered when she was a baby because they thought she was Will (since they looked a lot a like when they were infants). So it makes sense she had more of a bond with William the Sound. But she really did not play a major part in the book for being the driving purpose behind it all
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Oh, I had it mixed up. I thought Emmy's sound was murdered. I thought the sound had to die, and then kill the echo automatically. I had it backwards. 😰 Thank you!!! Now I get why she left echoland with Will, that's where she belonged.😌
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

The Prince was as flat as they come.
Well, for one thing we just met him twice in the story. Once at the beginning and once at the end. He didn’t do much and left Will and Peter to do his job for him. He could’ve been more active! Put on a disguise and go to the orphanage and suffer like Will did, huh? Why did he stay in the castle?
To be honest, I didn’t like him much. And he didn’t change at all. Like, no development whatsoever. Right? He was royalty, he wanted to do sth, had Will do it for him, got the throne and the end.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I'm not sure how I felt about the Prince. I know that when the Prince and Will met at the scheduled times I wondered what the Prince was doing. Did he have as much trouble as Will or not as much? Except for when the Prince was with Will, William was vague to me.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

KDJ wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 10:15 Oh, I had it mixed up. I thought Emmy's sound was murdered. I thought the sound had to die, and then kill the echo automatically. I had it backwards. 😰 Thank you!!! Now I get why she left echoland with Will, that's where she belonged.😌
You are right - the killing law is that if a sound dies the echo has to as well. The false king wanted prince William dead and then accidently killed princess Emmy instead. Then because of the killing law, fate sealers brought BOTH Will and Emmy the Sounds to echoland when they were 2 because they couldnt tell them apart (they really only needed Will). Will ended up being rescued and escaped whereas Emmy was left behind. She ended up in the dungeons of Shadowpain and was rescued, but by then was too old to leave Echoland by their laws. That's how she ended up in the orphanage where Will finds her.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Not a big fan of the prince. I found him rather boring and not a very dynamic character.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:46 What did you think about the Prince and his deal with the Fortune Tellers? I thought he was not active enough, and he let Will do most of the work. Will had to dodge enemies, while the Prince was left to his own means (most of the time).
I would have liked to see more involvement from the Prince. I liked him well enough as a character, but I definitely felt more connected to Will. However, I'm willing to wait and see how the second book develops the characters and story. Maybe the author has plans for the Prince to play a more active role in the next book.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Other than getting through the gate to Olám Shoné, I didn't really understand why he was there at all. He didn't do much and when he was there, Will eclipded his presence anyway.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Tomah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 13:44 Indeed, the prince was an underdeveloped and underutilized character, in my opinion. I actually liked him overall, but he just doesn't do all that much. I think he should've been more of a secondary protagonist so that we could see what he's up to while Will goes on adventures.
I also felt that the prince could have been better fleshed out as a character, although I still liked him a lot. The fact that he is the equivalent of Will in this alternate world would have been an interesting point to develop further.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The prince was likable enough, in a milk-toast sort of way. We just really didn't learn all that much about him to form an opinion with. It was as if while Will was off on adventures the prince just sort of disappeared into limbo. He could have had a much more active role. It's a bit sad that the opportunity was missed.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”