The Prince

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Re: The Prince

Post by RoxieReads »

KDJ wrote: โ†‘03 Sep 2019, 10:15 Oh, I had it mixed up. I thought Emmy's sound was murdered. I thought the sound had to die, and then kill the echo automatically. I had it backwards. ๐Ÿ˜ฐ Thank you!!! Now I get why she left echoland with Will, that's where she belonged.๐Ÿ˜Œ
Don't worry, I had it confused for a while there, too. In fact, I found that most of the book was very confusing in general.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

Overall, I wish that the prince had done more stuff. He was an interesting character, but heavily underutilized in my opinion. He almost seemed lazy in the way that he let Will do practically all of the work.
~Roxie~
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

little_nell15 wrote: โ†‘27 Sep 2019, 05:45 I felt the prince had done a lot of work in the background. If the author had focussed on each of the characters challenges there would have been a lot to write about the prince, entire chapters on how he learns of his father's mission, finds the letter, makes a plan, briefs Damian and Dea, makes a deal with the fate sealers andfinds and recruits Will , all the while dodging his uncle. I feel the author decided to focus on Will alone and let the prince be a background character. But the prince is not idle and has his own although brief arc. But this is true of the other characters also, Emmy and Valerie especially . We see that they have been through a great deal.
This is all very true. It was just hard to relate to them and to all that they potentially had done to help when they were always running in the background
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: โ†‘27 Sep 2019, 07:06 I quite liked the character of prince. I liked the fact that he didn't dominate the story too much. He was there from time to time, helped the protagonist, disappeared and came back again when required. I llved the equation between tbe prince and Will, a cool friendship as and when required.
When required is a good way to put it. The prince helped nudge will in the right direction, but did little in the action packed parts to help.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Clorinda Donovan wrote: โ†‘27 Sep 2019, 16:41
Kro92813 wrote: โ†‘26 Sep 2019, 18:14
Clorinda Donovan wrote: โ†‘26 Sep 2019, 15:38 A prince who actually acted like a snob at times that just sounds realistic.
Right?! And he made will do everything for him...but he could have atleast been a little more helpful or even grateful because without Will he would never have existed!
Sometimes it's more fun to hate a character than have a stereo-typical goody goody prince.
Yes! Lol I actually wouldn't say I hated the prince. I just didn't get to see enough of him to fully like him either lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

RoxieReads wrote: โ†‘29 Sep 2019, 17:20
KDJ wrote: โ†‘03 Sep 2019, 10:15 Oh, I had it mixed up. I thought Emmy's sound was murdered. I thought the sound had to die, and then kill the echo automatically. I had it backwards. ๐Ÿ˜ฐ Thank you!!! Now I get why she left echoland with Will, that's where she belonged.๐Ÿ˜Œ
Don't worry, I had it confused for a while there, too. In fact, I found that most of the book was very confusing in general.
The writing style was confusing...I struggled with some parts and descriptions too
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

RoxieReads wrote: โ†‘29 Sep 2019, 17:21 Overall, I wish that the prince had done more stuff. He was an interesting character, but heavily underutilized in my opinion. He almost seemed lazy in the way that he let Will do practically all of the work.
Yes! Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way! Yes he did some research himself to find out what he knew, but in any sort of adventure with Will - he just hung in the background and let will fend for himself
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Clorinda Donovan wrote: โ†‘26 Sep 2019, 15:38 A prince who actually acted like a snob at times that just sounds realistic.
Right?! And he made will do everything for him...but he could have atleast been a little more helpful or even grateful because without Will he would never have existed!
Sometimes it's more fun to hate a character than have a stereo-typical goody goody prince.
I agree with you. The prince was inherently good and risked his life and safety to ensure Echoland had a good King on the throne. All I've read in this discussion recently is how certain readers try to slander the character he had.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

It was Emmy's echo that was murdered instead of the Prince and that led to the whole kidnapping Will and Emmy into Echoland fiasco.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

RoxieReads wrote: โ†‘29 Sep 2019, 17:21 Overall, I wish that the prince had done more stuff. He was an interesting character, but heavily underutilized in my opinion. He almost seemed lazy in the way that he let Will do practically all of the work.
Let me correct that misconception!! The Prince was being constantly monitored by The False King and that meant if he were seen close to Will or helping in their plan, the False King would know not only the plan but that Will was the Prince's Sound. He would have used the Fate Sealers to kill Will then.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: โ†‘30 Sep 2019, 00:34

I agree with you. The prince was inherently good and risked his life and safety to ensure Echoland had a good King on the throne. All I've read in this discussion recently is how certain readers try to slander the character he had.
I don't think anyone is slandering his character. We just wished he would have helped will more rather than sit back as he did it all
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: โ†‘30 Sep 2019, 00:35
It was Emmy's echo that was murdered instead of the Prince and that led to the whole kidnapping Will and Emmy into Echoland fiasco.
Yes! They got messed up because they are twins and looked alike at 2. Althiugh I can't imagine a prince and princess would ever be dressed the same lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: โ†‘30 Sep 2019, 00:38
It seems a lot of the underdeveloped characters could have been due to circumstance

Let me correct that misconception!! The Prince was being constantly monitored by The False King and that meant if he were seen close to Will or helping in their plan, the False King would know not only the plan but that Will was the Prince's Sound. He would have used the Fate Sealers to kill Will then.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The Prince needed a larger part. His back story was sort of just thrown into the book and we saw him for brief moments. Not many of the characters really developed in this series.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

The Prince could not have played more than his role. Will was only playing his role. So, you cannot say that he was not active enough. He was only as active as his role in the story.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.โ€