The Prince

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The Prince

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:21 I agree that the Prince let Will do most of the work. I think he serves a role similar to Glinda the Good Witch in the Wizard of Oz. He is a catalyst who allows the major character to see that he or she can do the work on their own rather than having someone step in and rescue them.
But the intial post made him appear lazy or entitled. I agree with your assessment that he acted more like a catalyst.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:21 I agree that the Prince let Will do most of the work. I think he serves a role similar to Glinda the Good Witch in the Wizard of Oz. He is a catalyst who allows the major character to see that he or she can do the work on their own rather than having someone step in and rescue them.
Mhmm! Which helps build Wills character but made the princes character pretty stagnant
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:48
Mhmm! Which helps build Wills character but made the princes character pretty stagnant
What do you mean by stagnant? Will only reacted to the Prince's information for the most part, and he had practically pegged every major threat to his ascension to the throne...except for that willy Valorian.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 12:25
What do you mean by stagnant? Will only reacted to the Prince's information for the most part, and he had practically pegged every major threat to his ascension to the throne...except for that willy Valorian.
Stagnant as in the prince's character really did not develop.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:41

He was mentioned a lot in the story and there was no room for his development since we never got his PoV.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 03:47
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:41

He was mentioned a lot in the story and there was no room for his development since we never got his PoV.
Right! My point exactly!
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

A prince who actually acted like a snob at times that just sounds realistic.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Clorinda Donovan wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 15:38 A prince who actually acted like a snob at times that just sounds realistic.
Right?! And he made will do everything for him...but he could have atleast been a little more helpful or even grateful because without Will he would never have existed!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do feel that Will went through a lot of things within this story. Yet I feel that that is exactly why the prince had the chance to have a more relaxed vibe
Chelsea N. Hackett
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

chelhack wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 22:46 I do feel that Will went through a lot of things within this story. Yet I feel that that is exactly why the prince had the chance to have a more relaxed vibe
I think the prince may have used his position of power to get out of having to do the grunt work. Or at the least that's what he expected
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 03:59
chelhack wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 22:46 I do feel that Will went through a lot of things within this story. Yet I feel that that is exactly why the prince had the chance to have a more relaxed vibe
I think the prince may have used his position of power to get out of having to do the grunt work. Or at the least that's what he expected
There was too little concerning the Prince's temperament or personality in this book to accurately draw that conclusion. It seems unfair to the author and the character to label him so without knowing him like one knows Will.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

I felt the prince had done a lot of work in the background. If the author had focussed on each of the characters challenges there would have been a lot to write about the prince, entire chapters on how he learns of his father's mission, finds the letter, makes a plan, briefs Damian and Dea, makes a deal with the fate sealers andfinds and recruits Will , all the while dodging his uncle. I feel the author decided to focus on Will alone and let the prince be a background character. But the prince is not idle and has his own although brief arc. But this is true of the other characters also, Emmy and Valerie especially . We see that they have been through a great deal.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I quite liked the character of prince. I liked the fact that he didn't dominate the story too much. He was there from time to time, helped the protagonist, disappeared and came back again when required. I llved the equation between tbe prince and Will, a cool friendship as and when required.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 04:17
Kro92813 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 03:59
There was too little concerning the Prince's temperament or personality in this book to accurately draw that conclusion. It seems unfair to the author and the character to label him so without knowing him like one knows Will.
When the prince is present though he let's will do the work for him
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 18:14
Clorinda Donovan wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 15:38 A prince who actually acted like a snob at times that just sounds realistic.
Right?! And he made will do everything for him...but he could have atleast been a little more helpful or even grateful because without Will he would never have existed!
Sometimes it's more fun to hate a character than have a stereo-typical goody goody prince.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”