What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Aaront1947
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaront1947.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Re: What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Post by Aaront1947 »

Stan Lee, Alfred Hitchcock, and several other authors have appeared in their works for "cameo" rolls. I think it is a good thing, contributed to the book, and helps keep things moving and interesting.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Aaront1947 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:55 Stan Lee, Alfred Hitchcock, and several other authors have appeared in their works for "cameo" rolls. I think it is a good thing, contributed to the book, and helps keep things moving and interesting.
I have to agree with your assessment since I loved Pittacus Lore in Lorien Legacies series, and even J.K. Rowling in the James Potter series.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I think the story definitly doesnt lose anything from her presence. I wish their had been more from her though! I loved the surprise twist at the end where it is mentioned that she is going to write Will's story. I thought that was so clever! If anything, the story does gain a little from her presence, but not by much. I truly wish she had played a bigger role and showed up alittle more
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:22 I think the story definitly doesnt lose anything from her presence. I wish their had been more from her though! I loved the surprise twist at the end where it is mentioned that she is going to write Will's story. I thought that was so clever! If anything, the story does gain a little from her presence, but not by much. I truly wish she had played a bigger role and showed up alittle more
I would have loved to read more of her, to know what her beliefs in Echoland were. Whether she knew about Olám Shoné, and whether she knew Valerian's hidden nature.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I was a little confused as to why the author chose to use her name as a character in the story. But, after reading your post it makes a lot more sense to me. Dew Pellucid, the character, was trying to protect Will, but at the end shared that she wrote the stories. This made a connection between each of the Dew Pellucids. Now that you mention it she does remind me a bit of Dumbledor in the Harry Potter series.

Thanks for your insight!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:21
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:22 I think the story definitly doesnt lose anything from her presence. I wish their had been more from her though! I loved the surprise twist at the end where it is mentioned that she is going to write Will's story. I thought that was so clever! If anything, the story does gain a little from her presence, but not by much. I truly wish she had played a bigger role and showed up alittle more
I would have loved to read more of her, to know what her beliefs in Echoland were. Whether she knew about Olám Shoné, and whether she knew Valerian's hidden nature.
Good questions! I hadnt thought of those! I would especially be interested in knowing if she had known the truth about Valerians hidden nature.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:27 I was a little confused as to why the author chose to use her name as a character in the story. But, after reading your post it makes a lot more sense to me. Dew Pellucid, the character, was trying to protect Will, but at the end shared that she wrote the stories. This made a connection between each of the Dew Pellucids. Now that you mention it she does remind me a bit of Dumbledor in the Harry Potter series.

Thanks for your insight!
I agree that I do think this is the story that Dew Pellucid wrote about Will. I wish she would have been given a more pronounced role in the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:14
Good questions! I hadnt thought of those! I would especially be interested in knowing if she had known the truth about Valerians hidden nature.
I would have like to know about that too. Valerian seemed to keep track of everyone, and I wonder if she became enemies with him.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 00:17

I would have like to know about that too. Valerian seemed to keep track of everyone, and I wonder if she became enemies with him.
If she did know about it though, it's kind of irresponsible to let a 13 yr old find out and fend for himself lol
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:54

If she did know about it though, it's kind of irresponsible to let a 13 yr old find out and fend for himself lol
She has laways seemed a librarian, an observer and scribe for historical events. I doubt she would have intervened.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:05

She has laways seemed a librarian, an observer and scribe for historical events. I doubt she would have intervened.
I get that (and its fictitious) but for an adult to knowingly sit back while a child faces impending doom is irresponsible! So I hope she was fooled by valerian too
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:17

I get that (and its fictitious) but for an adult to knowingly sit back while a child faces impending doom is irresponsible! So I hope she was fooled by valerian too
Yes, I hope so too.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

KCWolf wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 11:23 I was a little thrown by the character Dew Pellucid at first, but as I read on it started to make perfect sense to me as I saw the Author Dew Pellucid's vision of the character's role in the story more clearly.
I agree, I was a bit confused by Pellucid as well, but it came together quite nicely later on.
~Roxie~
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:19
Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:17

Yes, I hope so too.
I'm glad we are in agreement for a change ;)
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

RoxieReads wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 17:28
KCWolf wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 11:23 I was a little thrown by the character Dew Pellucid at first, but as I read on it started to make perfect sense to me as I saw the Author Dew Pellucid's vision of the character's role in the story more clearly.
I agree, I was a bit confused by Pellucid as well, but it came together quite nicely later on.
When I first saw her name in the story I was like "whaaa?!" Then when she revealed she wrote the story I was like :o "whaaaaaaaat!"

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”