What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: What do you think of Dew Pellucid, the character?

Post by Kro92813 »

cpru68 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 18:59 I thought this was a clever surprise to the story. When I saw the character’s name, I had to glance back to the cover to make sure I wasn’t making this up. I absolutely love it when this is done in books or movies where cameos are made. I feel it brings me a little closer to the author who has literally put his or her whole self into the story.
I also had to do a double take!
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

This is the ultimate freedom: write the book and be part of it. Player and referee? Why not? And if any other character becomes obnoxious, we have the Queen of Hearts' solution: Off with their heads! :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

aacodreanu wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 09:12 This is the ultimate freedom: write the book and be part of it. Player and referee? Why not? And if any other character becomes obnoxious, we have the Queen of Hearts' solution: Off with their heads! :tiphat:
I hoped it was a new character for the author to develop.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 00:45 Apart from being the author of this novel, Dew Pellucid is also a character in the story. As curator of the second largest library in the land and headmistress of the Orphanage of Castaway Children, Pellucid the character does not only protect Will from a distance, but also alludes to her role as a storyteller.

This narrative strategy reminds me of metafictional novels in which the boundaries between the author, the narrator, and the characters are skillfully crossed so that the readers could reflect on the inner mechanisms of fiction.

Personally, I loved both Pellucid, the talented author, and Pellucid, the wise master puppeteer in the story. What's your opinion on Pellucid, the character? Does she remind you of Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter series? Does the story gain or lose from her presence in the text?
A character based kn the author who apparently is a curator of the largest library, that is living the author dream, and she had the entire Dumbledore thing going.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

djr6090 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 09:24 It made me laugh to see a character in the book with the same name as the author. From reading some of the above posts, I want to learn more about the writer.
It was a bit humorous reading about that character and her excentricities.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 06:34 I don't think I ever heard of this happening in books. I know that this is her pen name but to give a name to a character, I don't think I ever heard of it. You? I know that the author write about themselves in their characters but they never give them the same name.
I definitly thought this was unique and made it memorable!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:08
AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 06:34 I don't think I ever heard of this happening in books. I know that this is her pen name but to give a name to a character, I don't think I ever heard of it. You? I know that the author write about themselves in their characters but they never give them the same name.
I definitly thought this was unique and made it memorable!
I ha e heard of it from Pittacus Lore.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

cristinaro wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 05:45
gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 03:29 I loved it too! It was confusing at first that the curator shared the same name as the author until the penny dropped.

It did remind me of Albus Dumbledore now that you mention it. I think the story gained from her presence in the text, though I would have liked more scenes with her.
Or perhaps a combination of Albus Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. :) I'd love to see more scenes with her in future books.
Definitely reminded me more of Professor McGonagall. I think that the author wanted to keep the readers guessing as to who to trust, Between Victor Valorian and Dew Pellucid, Valorian comes off as more charming, but ultimately treacherous. Dew Pellucid seems distant and unapproachable initially, then finally is revealed to be on Will's side.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

little_nell15 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 18:28
cristinaro wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 05:45
gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 03:29 I loved it too! It was confusing at first that the curator shared the same name as the author until the penny dropped.

It did remind me of Albus Dumbledore now that you mention it. I think the story gained from her presence in the text, though I would have liked more scenes with her.
Or perhaps a combination of Albus Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. :) I'd love to see more scenes with her in future books.
Definitely reminded me more of Professor McGonagall. I think that the author wanted to keep the readers guessing as to who to trust, Between Victor Valorian and Dew Pellucid, Valorian comes off as more charming, but ultimately treacherous. Dew Pellucid seems distant and unapproachable initially, then finally is revealed to be on Will's side.
Yes, she had a Professor McGonagall feel to her that was surprisingly eerie.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

She didnt show up in the story as much as I would have liked - and when she did she seemed like a crotchety old lady. I was confused by the description of her being a mermaid at one point though. Not sure what that meant!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:19 She didnt show up in the story as much as I would have liked - and when she did she seemed like a crotchety old lady. I was confused by the description of her being a mermaid at one point though. Not sure what that meant!
Pellucid did not have the kind of exposure required of the character who sees all and knows most.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:24
Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:19 She didnt show up in the story as much as I would have liked - and when she did she seemed like a crotchety old lady. I was confused by the description of her being a mermaid at one point though. Not sure what that meant!
Pellucid did not have the kind of exposure required of the character who sees all and knows most.
But in a way, keeping her a secret added to the shock value in the end
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Keeping her a secret did add to the shock value in the end though
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:33
Maybe, but we could have seen her more in the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:33
Pellucid had the Minerva feel to her but was just mentioned and seen less than I expected.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”