Sounds and Echoes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Re: Sounds and Echoes

Post by skindrukas »

Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 07:06
skindrukas wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:54
Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:23

As beautiful as that is, I don't think a 13 yr old would gather the message like us adults do. But it would be a good talking point for a parent to have with their kid if they read the book alongside each other
I think it still has the right affect... At least it did to me, when I was a kid. I might not have thought of the topic of discrimination when I was reading books with this message but all adds up eventually when you are in the situation later, where you need to choose. It's like a supermarket poster about a discount for whatever brand, which we see every day on our way to work. We might not think about it, we might not even notice the poster that much but our brain registers it and when we go shopping, we by the product of that brand instead of another.
So like subliminal messaging
I believe so. But that's my only argument :lol:
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:21
skindrukas wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:27
Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 22:48 I dont think a lot of young adults will pick up on the "anti-racism" message, but adults definitly will.
I hope that message will just stay in their heads until they grow up and ready to use it =)
One would hope! And one would hope they could use it before they "grow up" as well
It seems like children just hearing a message like that, whether they recognize what it is or not, would be beneficial on the whole.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:02 I think it says a lot about society at large in how we view others. I loved how the author specifically addressed how "mongrels" are treated poorly and hunted down in Echoland, and that in Olàm Shonè they are referred to harmonies. I believe that our society still has a long way to go to view people as harmonies, even though interracial people are not generally referred to as abominations in most parts of the developed world any longer.
Yes, the societal similarities could be used as a measuring block to what we should aspire in terms of racial acceptance...when only harmonies exist, we would have grown into racial equality and society without discrimination.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

HRichards wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 10:53
Kro92813 wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:21
skindrukas wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:27

I hope that message will just stay in their heads until they grow up and ready to use it =)
One would hope! And one would hope they could use it before they "grow up" as well
It seems like children just hearing a message like that, whether they recognize what it is or not, would be beneficial on the whole.
Kind of goes hand in hand with the subliminal messaging aspect brought up above!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 12:11
Leah39 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 08:02 I think it says a lot about society at large in how we view others. I loved how the author specifically addressed how "mongrels" are treated poorly and hunted down in Echoland, and that in Olàm Shonè they are referred to harmonies. I believe that our society still has a long way to go to view people as harmonies, even though interracial people are not generally referred to as abominations in most parts of the developed world any longer.
Yes, the societal similarities could be used as a measuring block to what we should aspire in terms of racial acceptance...when only harmonies exist, we would have grown into racial equality and society without discrimination.
And that's why olam shone is such a sanctuary- because everyone there believes in equality. And I suppose if one doesn't they would just be exiled
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I agree. I liked how the author dealt with the issue of racism in a way that was not "in your face". I loved the concept of Echoes and Sounds. I didn't really think about this much while I was reading, but they are like their own race in a way.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I believe that books for children and teenagers should definitely try to deliver the message of morals and co-existence with people who appear different from them. Especially if this is done in a way that is more hidden beneath fantasy blanket.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I believe that most children would pick up on the different ways that everyone was treated and would have a reaction to this. I loved when this was addressed with the Harmonies, what a great idea!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I do think that the premise of treating all people as equals is an important one. I disagree that a younger audience won't get it. Some of them won't, but some adults won't either. I was always very receptive to ideas of this kind as a youth.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

There are so many lessons to learn from this book. Sometimes, it's difficult to point out the one that stands out the most. However, the lesson on anti-racism is a very important one.
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

Yes, I agree with you. It's sad that in this age and time, we still contend with the issue of racism. Equality is a great lesson that needs to be taught to the children.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

yes I agree that it is one of the most important lesson to all regardless of age. In today's age where social media is everywhere, there are still a large percent of people who are of racists.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

I quite agree. Think of what the world will be if all humans are equal. Racism cannot do us any good. We are all brothers and sisters, being the descendants of Adam and Eve. Period!
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I agree. The message isn't too in your face and provides a subtle reminder of why the principle is important.
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

It definitely has a strong theme of anti segregation for the Prince's intent, and the book shows how similar both are, despite the physical differences. With the climate of overzealous Nationalism and racism that plagues the real world, it's heartening to see such biases approached in a story. Even with the padding of fantasy, it sends a positive message.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”