Sounds and Echoes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Sounds and Echoes

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Although it is supposed to be a sanctuary for both Sounds and Echoes kidnapped by Fate Sealers, the Orphanage of Castaway Children still preserves the strict delimitations between the two races. However, there are many instances when racism is strongly criticised. On the whole, the novel delivers a strong anti-racist message, promoting mutual understanding and tolerance. Characters like Auralius, of mixed Sound and Echo descendancy, or Cyrano, an Echo living in a Sound, prove that racial separation is altogether superficial.

The Prince exclaims: "I'll change Echoland. [...] Sound, Echo, Mongrel - all human beings will be equal!"

Would you agree that this is perhaps the most important lesson the novel teaches both children and adults?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree, there is a strong anti-racist message.

I agree it was the most important lesson. That was why I liked Harmonia and the Harmonies which accepted all no matter their race.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

I think it says a lot about society at large in how we view others. I loved how the author specifically addressed how "mongrels" are treated poorly and hunted down in Echoland, and that in Olàm Shonè they are referred to harmonies. I believe that our society still has a long way to go to view people as harmonies, even though interracial people are not generally referred to as abominations in most parts of the developed world any longer.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Yes, I agree, it really reminds me a lot of Harry Potter with the pureblood and half-blood racism going on there too. I really feel that books like these which have such a good story, these meaningful messages in between brings out the depth of the book and the readers really enjoy it.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I agree; anti-racism is an important message in this book. If there was one lesson my kids should take from this book, this would be it.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

The Prince exclaims: "I'll change Echoland. [...] Sound, Echo, Mongrel - all human beings will be equal!"
It's such a shame that in this day and age we still have to deal with racism.
I agree with you that racism is the most important lesson that can be taken from the book. We are all equal despite our differences in skin colour or otherwise.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I dont think a lot of young adults will pick up on the "anti-racism" message, but adults definitly will. It's kind of like rewatching a movie from your childhood to find all the adult humor that flew over your head when you were little!

I definitly found the two worlds descriptions of the half Echo/ half Sounds to be interesting and very fitting! It's amazing how one word (Mongrel vs Harmony) can paint such a different picture.

And side note: Nicholas aka Frankenstein was the one who said the line about all will be equal - not the prince. It was one of my highlights :P
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I agree that anti-racist messages were included throughout the book. I interpreted the separation of Echos and Sounds in the orphanage was a way to communicate that institutions often enforce racism based on "tradition", and how these traditions need to be challenged.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

That was the purpose of the Orphanage but honestly, I didn’t see it. Fate Sealers, vicious ones, were crawling all over the orphanage harassing Will and Peter all the time. What kind of a sanctuary is that?

Other than that, to answer your question: yes. It’s important and he manages to do it. So kudos to the Prince.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

It is always nice to see how authors include these kinds of messages in their work. I always appreciate it, and I hope Dew Pellucid will continue to practice this kind of literature. Yes, the message is obviously important, and including it in a children's book is applaudable.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I loved the quote "we do not think of skin at all, we simply live in it." It was a great part in the book and I hope that it will resonate with other readers like it did with me.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Yes, equality between all peoples seems to be the underlying theme of the book. I really liked this. I especially liked the quote from Fluid Conway near the end of the book after the boys have arrived in Olam Shone:

"Here we do not think that see-through skin is truthful because it lets you see the person inside, or that solid skin is wiser because it shuts out prying eyes. We do not think that dark skin is fairer, or fair skin is finer. We do not think of skin at all. We simply live in it, and let live in it."

I think the author phrased that beautifully.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

There's a school of thought that good fantasy is an allegory for the real world. I'm not sure if I agree with that or not but allegory definitely plays a role here with the situation of the Sounds and the Echoes. It's clear that the author sets up Harmonia as the ideal to be achieved, a place where Sounds, Echoes and all combinations of both are equal. It drives home an anti-racism message perfectly as it doesn't just stop at ending discrimination but promotes a life of equality and equity.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 22:48 I dont think a lot of young adults will pick up on the "anti-racism" message, but adults definitly will. It's kind of like rewatching a movie from your childhood to find all the adult humor that flew over your head when you were little!

I definitly found the two worlds descriptions of the half Echo/ half Sounds to be interesting and very fitting! It's amazing how one word (Mongrel vs Harmony) can paint such a different picture.

And side note: Nicholas aka Frankenstein was the one who said the line about all will be equal - not the prince. It was one of my highlights :P
I agree! Well said.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 07:30 There's a school of thought that good fantasy is an allegory for the real world. I'm not sure if I agree with that or not but allegory definitely plays a role here with the situation of the Sounds and the Echoes. It's clear that the author sets up Harmonia as the ideal to be achieved, a place where Sounds, Echoes and all combinations of both are equal. It drives home an anti-racism message perfectly as it doesn't just stop at ending discrimination but promotes a life of equality and equity.
I never thought of it that way but it has its merit. For fantasy to be an allegory and all that. I guess I am more superficial :lol: while reading fantasy and enjoying that genre. The world-building is a centre of every fantasy novel and it is a reason to make it or break it.
I always applaud the smart & meaningful writing but feel that younger audience sadly will not get it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”