What makes Will a relatable character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What makes Will a relatable character?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Following his sister's disappearance, Will's parents are overwhelmed by grief and despair. When time comes, Will doesn't hesitate to risk his own life to save Emily and make his parents smile again. Throughout his journey in Echoland and Olam Shone, it turns out that altruism is perhaps his biggest quality. For me, this is what made him a relatable character although I also appreciated his courage, his tenacity, his commitment to his friends, or his love for animals. What about you? Do you think Will is a relatable character? Why?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree. I think his courage, empathy, love to animals, and the way he handled himself made him a relatable character. I loved it when he chose the wild wolf as a companion. It made me like him.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

I love the idea that Will had in the beginning that he is coming of age and now its time for him to find his sister. I feel that these little steps in life determine what you can be or will be. Loved his character.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I definitely think Will is a relatable character. His courage is apparent from the beginning. I also find him compassionate and empathetic. I love his love for animals, but most of all I love his desire to find his sister and his concern for his parents. I'm still reading but so far I find him an exemplary character.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 02:06 Following his sister's disappearance, Will's parents are overwhelmed by grief and despair. When time comes, Will doesn't hesitate to risk his own life to save Emily and make his parents smile again. Throughout his journey in Echoland and Olam Shone, it turns out that altruism is perhaps his biggest quality. For me, this is what made him a relatable character although I also appreciated his courage, his tenacity, his commitment to his friends, or his love for animals. What about you? Do you think Will is a relatable character? Why?
I agree. Will is a very relatable character for all the reasons you've listed, plus he is a very endearing character as well. You can't help but root for him in this story.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
ab2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab2020.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ab2020 »

B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 03:02 I definitely think Will is a relatable character. His courage is apparent from the beginning. I also find him compassionate and empathetic. I love his love for animals, but most of all I love his desire to find his sister and his concern for his parents. I'm still reading but so far I find him an exemplary character.
I agree with this. His behavior reflects maturity and empathy, and he is an open and accessible character in terms of writing/depiction. He comes across as understanding, brave, and responsible. He would make a good role model, especially for younger readers.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Yeah. Will is pretty relatable. He's not perfect and he has a long journey ahead, but he tries and I think that's an important thing. He tries and he pushes through even in his grief and despair. It's inherently human and relatable.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I think he is relatable partly because of the "coming of age" aspect of the story. He feels the sadness of losing his childhood companions and journeys into the unknown. His disgust with his appearance as Frederick feels like a strong metaphor for the awkwardness of adolescence. It's relatable as everyone goes through it.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

Will is a relatable character because he pushes us to be better versions of ourselves. The most important quality being his selflessness and his willingness to risk his own life to save others. I also like that he chose a wild wolf as as his companion which is an often misunderstood animal.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 02:06 Following his sister's disappearance, Will's parents are overwhelmed by grief and despair. When time comes, Will doesn't hesitate to risk his own life to save Emily and make his parents smile again. Throughout his journey in Echoland and Olam Shone, it turns out that altruism is perhaps his biggest quality. For me, this is what made him a relatable character although I also appreciated his courage, his tenacity, his commitment to his friends, or his love for animals. What about you? Do you think Will is a relatable character? Why?
His determination to get his twin out of Echoland and reunite his family. This made him relatable since he must have felt somehow responsible for not returning with his Sister the first time.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

Will was a very relatable character. He definitely had courage and really cared about people and animals. He put others before himself and that’s also a great quality.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I like will's character a lot. I think his courage and love for people makes him a very relatable character.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

NIRUPAMA JHA wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 03:42 I like will's character a lot. I think his courage and love for people makes him a very relatable character.
I agree that he went out of his way to help William and get Emmy back to their parents. He exhibited bravery, courage, love, and friendship.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Will is a very pure hearted person. That's why everyone enjoyed reading him. It made him a relatable character.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I personally didnt relate to him, but I'm sure younger readers could/would. His tenacity was great!

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”