What makes Will a relatable character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Re: What makes Will a relatable character?

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I think that this applies to any character. At least every main character has to be relatable in some way because it was written by a human who is not emotionless. At least when I read I find that in some way I relate to many characters.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

I loved Will for his determination and his kindness. But I think it was small things that made him relatable, like his annoyance with being ugly, even though that was what saved him. His interactions with Peter made him more real in my view.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 12:21 I think that this applies to any character. At least every main character has to be relatable in some way because it was written by a human who is not emotionless. At least when I read I find that in some way I relate to many characters.
And if we cant relate to any character in any way the author really hasn't done their job
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:20
AntoineOMEGA wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 12:21 I think that this applies to any character. At least every main character has to be relatable in some way because it was written by a human who is not emotionless. At least when I read I find that in some way I relate to many characters.
And if we cant relate to any character in any way the author really hasn't done their job
I think what makes Will a relatable character is his initial goal of mending his broken family by getting Emmy back.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

I think Will is relatable because of all his imperfections. Which of us can't relate to being afraid and confused in overwhelming circumstances? He's human and often gets it wrong. I'd probably be insane if I was in his shoes.

L-L
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
carolwnns
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolwnns.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by carolwnns »

I find Will's character to be mostly one dimensional except for the fact that he has a true love of leaving creatures.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 02:06 Following his sister's disappearance, Will's parents are overwhelmed by grief and despair. When time comes, Will doesn't hesitate to risk his own life to save Emily and make his parents smile again. Throughout his journey in Echoland and Olam Shone, it turns out that altruism is perhaps his biggest quality. For me, this is what made him a relatable character although I also appreciated his courage, his tenacity, his commitment to his friends, or his love for animals. What about you? Do you think Will is a relatable character? Why?
Yes, he's very relatable. His social skills and critical thinking captured my curiosity.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 15:58 I think Will is relatable because of all his imperfections. Which of us can't relate to being afraid and confused in overwhelming circumstances? He's human and often gets it wrong. I'd probably be insane if I was in his shoes.

L-L
I would probably have hid in a closet and cried :lol2:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:00
LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 15:58 I think Will is relatable because of all his imperfections. Which of us can't relate to being afraid and confused in overwhelming circumstances? He's human and often gets it wrong. I'd probably be insane if I was in his shoes.

L-L
Ne of the most loved techniques of character development and relatability is imperfections and vices. This certainly made Will more likable in my eyes.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

Katherine Smith wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 15:44 Will is a relatable character because he pushes us to be better versions of ourselves. The most important quality being his selflessness and his willingness to risk his own life to save others. I also like that he chose a wild wolf as as his companion which is an often misunderstood animal.
I agree that he is super willing to risk himself for others. That makes him very likable and is a trait that I think a lot of people strive to have. He is also growing up, which is very relatable.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:00

L-L
I totally agree. I would have been too terrified to do anything, let alone everything that he ended up doing.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The fact that he wasn't a superhero with amazing powers so had to use grit and determination to get by made him relatable to me.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 20:45 The fact that he wasn't a superhero with amazing powers so had to use grit and determination to get by made him relatable to me.
And he isnt even able to use magic or invisibility to get out of situations as some could
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 22:37
Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 20:45 The fact that he wasn't a superhero with amazing powers so had to use grit and determination to get by made him relatable to me.
And he isnt even able to use magic or invisibility to get out of situations as some could
Could not lie effectively, had no magic whatsoever, snd depended on others like his friends. This limitations and imperfections made him very relatable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Yes, I agree. The fact that no elaborate power came to his rescue constantly made him very relatable.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”