What makes Will a relatable character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: What makes Will a relatable character?

Post by kdstrack »

LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 11:57 AMAZING that we relate so deeply to heroes that have weaknesses. Even Superman had kryptonite and Achillies had that heel and Spiderman has to hang around spiders. Ewww! Gross! You get the idea.
Love L-L
This is so true! It gives us hope that there's a hero inside each one of us, in spite of our many weaknesses.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 09:43 I think he is relatable partly because of the "coming of age" aspect of the story. He feels the sadness of losing his childhood companions and journeys into the unknown. His disgust with his appearance as Frederick feels like a strong metaphor for the awkwardness of adolescence. It's relatable as everyone goes through it.
This is a very thoughtful comment. I agree. I also found the coming of age element and how he dislikes his new appearance relatable.
~Roxie~
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree will was a pure hearted person that seemed relatable because he always wanted to help. He was a very courageous and strong character
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I thought he was relatable because he was always trying to help people and he was a pure hearted person.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 11:57 AMAZING that we relate so deeply to heroes that have weaknesses. Even Superman had kryptonite and Achillies had that heel and Spiderman has to hang around spiders. Ewww! Gross! You get the idea.
Love L-L
What do you think wills weakness was?
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 02:06 Following his sister's disappearance, Will's parents are overwhelmed by grief and despair. When time comes, Will doesn't hesitate to risk his own life to save Emily and make his parents smile again. Throughout his journey in Echoland and Olam Shone, it turns out that altruism is perhaps his biggest quality. For me, this is what made him a relatable character although I also appreciated his courage, his tenacity, his commitment to his friends, or his love for animals. What about you? Do you think Will is a relatable character? Why?
Having high regards for others is admirable character.

I think, Will is a typical of the heroes in our society, today.

These are people who do not mind putting others before themselves.

Thanksfor such a question.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 04:16
cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 02:06 Following his sister's disappearance, Will's parents are overwhelmed by grief and despair. When time comes, Will doesn't hesitate to risk his own life to save Emily and make his parents smile again. Throughout his journey in Echoland and Olam Shone, it turns out that altruism is perhaps his biggest quality. For me, this is what made him a relatable character although I also appreciated his courage, his tenacity, his commitment to his friends, or his love for animals. What about you? Do you think Will is a relatable character? Why?

Yes, Will is relatable in that he symbolises the simplicity of the common man as a protagonist in fantasy...no special abilities or gifts other than the willingness to combat danger and the bravery to continue his journey despite the overwhelming odds.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 04:16

I like your definition if a hero...one who puts others before themselves. It could be applied to a lot of people who do selfless acts
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I think Will is a relatable because of how ordinary he is. He exhibited bravery and courage to enter Echoland knowing he could very well die there. He showed determination in his wuest to reunite Emmy and their parents, and he showed wisdom in realizing he could not do it all on his own and that he needed friends to guide and help him along the way.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 08:56 I think Will is a relatable because of how ordinary he is. He exhibited bravery and courage to enter Echoland knowing he could very well die there. He showed determination in his wuest to reunite Emmy and their parents, and he showed wisdom in realizing he could not do it all on his own and that he needed friends to guide and help him along the way.
This isthe best response yet! I think he was extraordinary in how ordinary he was! An average kid just trying to piece his family back together (and save a world while he was at it)
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Will seems to be a bit of an outcast who has always had to be very self-reliant. I can relate to that quality. I always felt a bit misunderstood by my family and it often seemed that they preferred my brother to me.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 20:39 Will seems to be a bit of an outcast who has always had to be very self-reliant. I can relate to that quality. I always felt a bit misunderstood by my family and it often seemed that they preferred my brother to me.
I felt bad for him! His parents spent all of their time and energy in looking for the kid they had lost that they didnt pay any kind to the knit other one they did have
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

I think what makes relatable is his down to earth attitude and the bonds he makes throughout the story. Will has a fascinating sence of courage and bravery which is really alluring.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I feel like out of all the characters in the book, he was the only one I understood. He seems bewildered by all that is going on around him, but he doesn’t let his fears overtake him and make him ineffective. I think that sends a universal message that no matter what we face, even the unexpected, we can still be of use if we don’t accept defeat. Kind of like a David and Goliath message where the “little guy” has more power than what it appears.
Everything happens for a reason...
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I would say his courage made him relatable, but also the fact that he needed help along the way. He wasn't a hero because he was able to do it all alone, he had help from friends.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”