What makes Will a relatable character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: What makes Will a relatable character?

Post by Kro92813 »

I personally cant relate to a 13 yr old boy who lost his sister to fate sealers and goes to a parallel realm to find her. But if I have to pick something from his personality I would say we can relate to his self conciousness in his less-than-ideal appearance and his reliance on friends
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:26 I personally cant relate to a 13 yr old boy who lost his sister to fate sealers and goes to a parallel realm to find her. But if I have to pick something from his personality I would say we can relate to his self conciousness in his less-than-ideal appearance and his reliance on friends
His determination despite the overwhelming odds against him were very likable and relatable.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:41
Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:26 I personally cant relate to a 13 yr old boy who lost his sister to fate sealers and goes to a parallel realm to find her. But if I have to pick something from his personality I would say we can relate to his self conciousness in his less-than-ideal appearance and his reliance on friends
His determination despite the overwhelming odds against him were very likable and relatable.
maybe for you, but I personally cant relate to that amount of determination :lol2: I am more of the hide and cry in the face of danger type :oops:
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Will has so many characteristics that people can relate to - empathy, loyalty, love of family, bravery. His love of animals is something readers can relate to as well. I all of these qualities together showed such depth of character - that's what makes him relatable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:25
maybe for you, but I personally cant relate to that amount of determination :lol2: I am more of the hide and cry in the face of danger type :oops:
Most people cannot relate to it. It was the determination of a boy who had seen his family destroyed and would do anything to make his family whole again. He believed getting Emmy to his parents was vital and helping William would help him achieve this.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Julie Petitbon wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:47 Will has so many characteristics that people can relate to - empathy, loyalty, love of family, bravery. His love of animals is something readers can relate to as well. I all of these qualities together showed such depth of character - that's what makes him relatable.
I definitely could not have put it any better. I completely agree with you.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I loved Will! For me, it was his devotion/loyalty to his sister and his willingness to continue searching for her against all odds! That's such an admirable part of his character, and it really showed his courage.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Even though he was a hero in a form I feel what makes Will relatable is that he is an everyday boy. He also comes from a broken household and he wants anything to have the attention and love from his parents.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:06
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:25

Most people cannot relate to it. It was the determination of a boy who had seen his family destroyed and would do anything to make his family whole again. He believed getting Emmy to his parents was vital and helping William would help him achieve this.
Exactly my point! His level of determination is not relatable for me personally!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

chelhack wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 12:24 Even though he was a hero in a form I feel what makes Will relatable is that he is an everyday boy. He also comes from a broken household and he wants anything to have the attention and love from his parents.
And I find it sad that his parents push him to the backburner looking for his sister. It seemed like their sole life purpose was to find his sister a d they left poor will in the dust
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Will's perseverance is endearing to me. I believe this made him very relatable. He is also very kind to the people he meets in this new world.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Will showed great empathy towards others. He understood his mother's grief. He also manifested immediate understanding of Tear. He has the makings of a great leader.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 07:57 Will's perseverance is endearing to me. I believe this made him very relatable. He is also very kind to the people he meets in this new world.
His perseverance was out of this world! I would have crawled in a corner and cried lol no way would I have been that brave at 13
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 08:56 Will showed great empathy towards others. He understood his mother's grief. He also manifested immediate understanding of Tear. He has the makings of a great leader.
His empathy, among other characteristics, made me feel he was older than he was. Like an old soul. Very mature for just 13.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

AMAZING that we relate so deeply to heroes that have weaknesses. Even Superman had kryptonite and Achillies had that heel and Spiderman has to hang around spiders. Ewww! Gross! You get the idea.
Love L-L
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”