Who is the best Villain in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Who is the best Villain in the story?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 14:26
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 23:49
Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 23:20 The fate sealers because they had a constant presence throughout the entire book
They even had a headquarter in an Orphanage, damn!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mindlessly killing creatures who have a headquarter in an Orphanage full of helpless children, how does his not scream best antagonist?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

djr6090 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 08:38
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 12:26
Benthic wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 00:53 Okay, it is entirely on a whim but I think the Fate Sealers are similar to dementors! That's what I thought when I first read about them.
I think the False King is the worst. He killed the King , lost his hand to his brother then devised a way for that brother to create a rule that led to his downfall-Diabolical is an understatement.
I agree that the prize goes to the false King. His appearance inside the nurse was a jolt. I kept waiting for him to show up with a goblin army or something.
The False King was a unique antagonist who was more than smart enough to trick his brother off the throne and command Fate Sealers to spread a reign of terror and subservience.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 20:11
Tomah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 14:11 I vote for the Fate Sealers as well since they're a looming presence throughout the book. The thing about surprise villains is that we might not get a chance to really feel invested in them as villains, so the final confrontation doesn't feel as compelling. I disliked the false king for similar reasons: he only shows up at the very end to be defeated.
Yes when the false king showed up for revenge it threw me off. I think I literally shook my head like okay where are you coming from all of a sudden?!
It was intresting that he was only mentioned for the entiety of the book only to show up at the end when I'm slow clapping for Will's success.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 09:23
Tomah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 14:11 I vote for the Fate Sealers as well since they're a looming presence throughout the book. The thing about surprise villains is that we might not get a chance to really feel invested in them as villains, so the final confrontation doesn't feel as compelling. I disliked the false king for similar reasons: he only shows up at the very end to be defeated.
Yes when the false king showed up for revenge it threw me off. I think I literally shook my head like okay where are you coming from all of a sudden?!
It was intresting that he was only mentioned for the entiety of the book only to show up at the end when I'm slow clapping for Will's success.
Lol yes! I didnt expect him to show up at all in this book
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:46

It must have been the author's idea of a phsyc.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:47

Yep! One final twist just when we think all Is calm and safe and happily ever after
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:29

Yep! One final twist just when we think all Is calm and safe and happily ever after
If I had hated the book(which I did not) this one scene would have done a complete 180 on me. I love nothing more than unpredictable scenes.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

What made the False King an even greater villain at that point of the book is how Will was virtually (except for Peter) alone and vulnerable. It was what I expect a true antagonist to do though I'd never encountered it.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:11

If I had hated the book(which I did not) this one scene would have done a complete 180 on me. I love nothing more than unpredictable scenes.
It was definitly unexpected. I just thought it was randomly out of place lol
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 07:20

No, I think it was a nice way of wrappimg up an antagonistic arc for the False King and getting William on the throne.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:25

No, I think it was a nice way of wrappimg up an antagonistic arc for the False King and getting William on the throne.
Prince William was going to be crowned regardless, but it was an effective way of getting rid of his main antagonist. It was random in the fact that the King is spoke of but never seen throughout the entire book. There is no hint of him physically appearing anywhere then he randomly shows up for a brief moment at the end and is killed. Random
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:53

Prince William was going to be crowned regardless, but it was an effective way of getting rid of his main antagonist. It was random in the fact that the King is spoke of but never seen throughout the entire book. There is no hint of him physically appearing anywhere then he randomly shows up for a brief moment at the end and is killed. Random
The False King controls Fate Sealers and would have rather killed William or better yet Will than give him the throne...you do understand this right....its how the Killing law came into effect. He couldn't let his brother have the crown and he found an elaborate way to end him. He could have easily done the same to two teenagers or only Will and declared William be executed.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:04
The False King controls Fate Sealers and would have rather killed William or better yet Will than give him the throne...you do understand this right....its how the Killing law came into effect. He couldn't let his brother have the crown and he found an elaborate way to end him. He could have easily done the same to two teenagers or only Will and declared William be executed.
Yes that is why Will had been in disguise while in echoland, because he would have been killed otherwise for that very reason.

Fortis fortuna was going to be sending his fortune tellers after the king to depose him and then send others to spread the word of the false kings lies and evil deeds and his dethroning. So by the time William is being crowned king everyone would know of this. Once crowned the first thing he will do is banish that law so it wouldnt matter if Will the sound was killed or not because it would no longer effect him.

I also think at this point the kind would have to be a little more crafty and stealthy to off the new king
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:40
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:04

Yes that is why Will had been in disguise while in echoland, because he would have been killed otherwise for that very reason.

Fortis fortuna was going to be sending his fortune tellers after the king to depose him and then send others to spread the word of the false kings lies and evil deeds and his dethroning. So by the time William is being crowned king everyone would know of this. Once crowned the first thing he will do is banish that law so it wouldnt matter if Will the sound was killed or not because it would no longer effect him.

I also think at this point the kind would have to be a little more crafty and stealthy to off the new king
But we're talking about that specific time the False King attacked Will. At that moment in time, he was still King and had he been successful, then William would have had o be executed. His attack, if nothing else, was brilliantly timed...unfortunately it led to his demise.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 13:35
gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:05 My vote goes to the Fate Sealers. They were cruel, soulless, and sadistic, and they gave me the chills.
Victor Valorian was able to kill the King, ruin the King's name and prevent William from succeeding him, and plot to rule over him when William seemed to be the better choice between him and his deranged uncle.
I agree. Victor Valorian was a charming, deluded and extremely cunning villain. He managed to deceive the prince and Will and all of echoland and would have almost succeeded.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”