Significance of names

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Re: Significance of names

Post by Jaime Lync »

Herbstlicht wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 11:47 What did you think about the meaning of names in the book? Some are pretty self-explanatory: "Will" is speaking volumes of the character, "Damian" is the alter ego.

What are other examples that come to mind?
I haven't read the book yet, but this has made me interested in reading it. I totally appreciate it when you can get so much depth from a name in a story. Thanks for starting this forum.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

While reading, I didn’t think much of the meaning of names (other than Poudini sounds like Houdini). However, after reading everyone’s comments I see that the author could have been attaching more significance to the names than I originally thought.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I didn't even think about that honestly until you brought that up. Will being the will to continue and move on, huh. Thanks for the input.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

nchoate12 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 12:53 I didn't even think about that honestly until you brought that up. Will being the will to continue and move on, huh. Thanks for the input.
You're very welcome 😊
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Noosh wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 05:30 Peter Patrick Peterson is the first name that stood out for me. Aside from the fact that it is alliterative, it is also meaningful. Peter means rock in Greek , Patrick means nobleman and is romanized , and Peterson is Scandinavian meaning son of Peter.

Also, I liked how Poudini somehow brings to mind Houdini, the great escapist artist/magician.
I do also love a good alliteration, so Peter Patrick Peterson immediately caught my ear too... noble, rock steady Scandinavian son is appropriately applicable. And oh little Poudini, a name that repeatedly brought a smile.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Poudini instead of Houdini really stood out to me. It's humorous at most.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think name choice is always interesting. Unless we discuss it with the author or they leave information, we really don't know if the author had some deeper meaning or if they are based on someone real, or just random. I knew an author once who added characters alphabetically to the story (Alex, Bob, Cassidy,...). This is the interesting interaction between the reader and the story more than the author and the story. Who does the name make me think of, whether it is Marcus Aurellius, or my cousin Mark?

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”