Friendship

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Friendship

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Mouricia25 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 19:21 Friendship is very important all around. We see where it helps character building as well as it compliments the philosophy that no man is an island.
Will discovered in Damien and Dea that friendship is vital to his journey, and he goes making friends in Echoland with Peter, Valerie, and Tear. I think he understood the importance of it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Lunastella wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 19:50 Sometimes pets can be the best of friends and the most loyal. I know some people don't find this connection but I'm glad this book showcases this and how much we can learn from animals.
That is an excellent point to make since the pets were the closest friends to their owners.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

chelhack wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 23:59 I feel that this shows with bonding as friends and working together they were able to change things for the better so it is bigger than just any one person
Friendship was indeed a major and vital theme to the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:53
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 08:08
HeatherEi wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 12:51 I agree, without the help of his friends, Emmy, and his pets, Will wouldn't have been able to make it. I definitely think we need to be surrounded by the right people in life to succeed.
I agree; in order to be successful or accomplished something people generally need some help along the way. I am sure Will wouldn't have had as much success had he been doing everything himself.
Friendship is an important way to help a story move along. It also helps Will to grow as a person.
It was also used as a way to introduce new characters an further the plot.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:18 I don't think will could have accomplished his tasks without his friends. First of all he would have to be a superhuman! Secondly, he physically would not have been able to complete his task because he NEEDED his Echo to get into Olam Shone. I also mirror everyone elses statements about how in real life we do need friendship. I love the saying that no (wo)man is an island.
I agree that he could not have accomplished his tasks without his friends and Emmy's help.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:39 I like stories that allow other characters to help the protagonist, instead of just the protagonist himself doing all the hard work.

I suddenly have an idea: wouldn't it be a cool story to have the villain help the protagonist at one point?
A good plot makes the plot relatable and human-like, meaning the challenges will far overwhelm him by himself and the need for friendship becomes vital.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:39 I like stories that allow other characters to help the protagonist, instead of just the protagonist himself doing all the hard work.

I suddenly have an idea: wouldn't it be a cool story to have the villain help the protagonist at one point?
A good plot makes the protagonist relatable and human-like, meaning the challenges will far overwhelm him by himself and the need for friendship becomes vital.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:50

He kind of does in this book! Valerian pretends to be the good guy and actually guides Will and helps him a handful of times throughout the book in order to put up a good guy facade
Another way the author used the theme of friendship was to sneak in Victor Valorian's antagonistic side and make it unnoticed.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:00
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:18 I don't think will could have accomplished his tasks without his friends. First of all he would have to be a superhuman! Secondly, he physically would not have been able to complete his task because he NEEDED his Echo to get into Olam Shone. I also mirror everyone elses statements about how in real life we do need friendship. I love the saying that no (wo)man is an island.
I agree that he could not have accomplished his tasks without his friends and Emmy's help.
For sure! Emmy was a good decoy in a few instances and helped how she could!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:59
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 08:08

I agree; in order to be successful or accomplished something people generally need some help along the way. I am sure Will wouldn't have had as much success had he been doing everything himself.
Friendship is an important way to help a story move along. It also helps Will to grow as a person.
Friendship as well as those not considered friends (like brainy for instance). He was introduced through a friend, but his character shishines through being disliked :cry:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:02

A good plot makes the plot relatable and human-like, meaning the challenges will far overwhelm him by himself and the need for friendship becomes vital.
I def agree with this! Could you imagine being 13 and having to deal with all of the challenges will had faced - alone?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:04
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:50

He kind of does in this book! Valerian pretends to be the good guy and actually guides Will and helps him a handful of times throughout the book in order to put up a good guy facade
Another way the author used the theme of friendship was to sneak in Victor Valorian's antagonistic side and make it unnoticed.
Which is also sort of real life-like. Sometimes "friends" stab you in the back
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:41
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:00
For sure! Emmy was a good decoy in a few instances and helped how she could!
She also went out of her way to shift suspicion from him being her twin.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:47
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:59

Friendship as well as those not considered friends (like brainy for instance). He was introduced through a friend, but his character shishines through being disliked :cry:
Yes, characters like Brainy could be discounted as possible friends to Will and in doing so introduce him and his personality to the plot.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:49
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:02

I def agree with this! Could you imagine being 13 and having to deal with all of the challenges will had faced - alone?
Enter an unknown world, try your best not to get killed by creatures who are actively out to hunt you down. Escape the plots of hidden antagonists, and somhow achieve a feat never been done by anyone in that world-nope I could never have done even half of it.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”