Twins?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Twins?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:00
tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:50 I'm not sure what the importance of Will and Emmy being twins really is, except that Emmy's echo was killed because they thought she was the prince. The start of the book is all about finding Emmy, but then he gets to Echoland and she is there. While she does help Will throughout the book, she doesn't have a big role. Instead of finding his sister and bringing her back home to their parents, he helps the prince with his mission to be king.
I feel like we are on the same page with this books interpretation lol

And it was a little odd that in the end their parents came to Echoland instead of will bringing Emmy home to them
It just opens up the possibility of Will and Emmy exploring Olám Shoné. It also ensures Fortis Fortuna has no easy access to hem through his Fate Sealers.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Emily's role in the plot is surprisingly downplayed. The book opens up painting the pain that their family has experienced since she went missing. I wish she was included more.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 02:31
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:00
tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:50 I'm not sure what the importance of Will and Emmy being twins really is, except that Emmy's echo was killed because they thought she was the prince. The start of the book is all about finding Emmy, but then he gets to Echoland and she is there. While she does help Will throughout the book, she doesn't have a big role. Instead of finding his sister and bringing her back home to their parents, he helps the prince with his mission to be king.
I feel like we are on the same page with this books interpretation lol

And it was a little odd that in the end their parents came to Echoland instead of will bringing Emmy home to them
It just opens up the possibility of Will and Emmy exploring Olám Shoné. It also ensures Fortis Fortuna has no easy access to hem through his Fate Sealers.
See I thought Fortis only had control over the fortune tellers - not fate sealers
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 07:54 Emily's role in the plot is surprisingly downplayed. The book opens up painting the pain that their family has experienced since she went missing. I wish she was included more.
Yes I think the intro to the story should have been focused differently or that the main plot should have been changed so that they fit together
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
t

Well, in a way she might seemed to be "downplayed."

But, I think every character have a part to contribute to the story, even the character Emily.

Thank you for such a question.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:44
Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
t

But, I think every character have a part to contribute to the story, even the character Emily.

Every character adds something (big or small) what part do you think she played?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I also believe that Emmily was a downplayed character. I think her experiences in Echoland specifically in regards to Fate Sealers would have made an interesting PoV and character development.
MellaBella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellabella.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by MellaBella »

I agree, I didn't understand why once she was alive she wasn't much part of anything. She drew away the Fate Sealer riot in the forest but Valerie did more and she had nothing to do with Will or Peter. I was curious why Valerie's actions weren't of Emmy's instead.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 09:16 I also believe that Emmily was a downplayed character. I think her experiences in Echoland specifically in regards to Fate Sealers would have made an interesting PoV and character development.
Can you imagine the inside knowledge she would have of the fate sealers and how they function? She would definitely come in handy in a sequel when getting rid of them.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

MellaBella wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 13:29 I agree, I didn't understand why once she was alive she wasn't much part of anything. She drew away the Fate Sealer riot in the forest but Valerie did more and she had nothing to do with Will or Peter. I was curious why Valerie's actions weren't of Emmy's instead.
And why valerie chose to help them? Probably because she wanted to spite her uncle
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 01:44
t

I see what you mean, but the set up makes it feel like her role should be larger than just being a twin.
Falling4Ever

Post by Falling4Ever »

MellaBella wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 13:29 I agree, I didn't understand why once she was alive she wasn't much part of anything. She drew away the Fate Sealer riot in the forest but Valerie did more and she had nothing to do with Will or Peter. I was curious why Valerie's actions weren't of Emmy's instead.
That’s a good point! Valarie seemed to be more important through the plot even though the story started by finding Emmy.
Falling4Ever

Post by Falling4Ever »

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:49 I still think the main plot should have been going to echoland to saveEmmy. I was taken aback when he found her right away. Imagine the adventure this book could have been If will had to go to shadowpain to rescue his sister!
I totally agree. The beginning seemed to set up the plot like you said, but then the story totally diverts.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I agree. I would have liked to see more of her character developed and have a bigger part in the plot.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Kro92813 wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 04:47 I agree. The entire book began on the premise of finding Wills sister. He then finds her immediately and then nothing. I thought it would be a book about the quest and adventures to find his sister, but he wakes up in Echoland to her standing over him. It's not exactly how I would have written the story lol
Once again, I agree. I would have pictured the story ending differently.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”