Twins?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Twins?

Post by Kro92813 »

samathaword wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:04 That's where it got kind of confusing to me, I thought she would of had more of a roll also. To me she seemed more like a throw away character. I wish she would have been more to her character. That was disappointing.
I wish she had too, but she really couldnt or it would have blown wills cover. Now valerie could have played a bigger role
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:43
samathaword wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:04 That's where it got kind of confusing to me, I thought she would of had more of a roll also. To me she seemed more like a throw away character. I wish she would have been more to her character. That was disappointing.
I wish she had too, but she really couldnt or it would have blown wills cover. Now valerie could have played a bigger role
I think Valerie and Emmy had this promise throughout the book for just...more. I hope the author explores this in a sequel.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I still think the main plot should have been going to echoland to saveEmmy. I was taken aback when he found her right away. Imagine the adventure this book could have been If will had to go to shadowpain to rescue his sister!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:49 I still think the main plot should have been going to echoland to saveEmmy. I was taken aback when he found her right away. Imagine the adventure this book could have been If will had to go to shadowpain to rescue his sister!
It was very refreshing seeing a change from the fantasy tropes. Having Emmy immediately present and having to deal with the dangers of Echoland was an intriguing twist.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The lack of a climax in the search for Emily may be due to an inadequacy in the plotline hence a weakness, as initially I felt this was the major theme of the book. Thanks.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Wyland wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 06:32 The lack of a climax in the search for Emily may be due to an inadequacy in the plotline hence a weakness, as initially I felt this was the major theme of the book. Thanks.
I agree! If the beginning hadnt been set up so strongly to make it seem as if the main purpose of the book was to find Emmy, I wouldnt have found it so odd.

It just seemed like a huge disconnect from the introduction to the main points.

I think the beginning should have been set up differently or the main plot should have been different
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Wyland wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 06:32 The lack of a climax in the search for Emily may be due to an inadequacy in the plotline hence a weakness, as initially I felt this was the major theme of the book. Thanks.
I would chalk it up to a creative twist in a successful attempt of breaking the norm.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:51
Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:49 I still think the main plot should have been going to echoland to saveEmmy. I was taken aback when he found her right away. Imagine the adventure this book could have been If will had to go to shadowpain to rescue his sister!
It was very refreshing seeing a change from the fantasy tropes. Having Emmy immediately present and having to deal with the dangers of Echoland was an intriguing twist.
I found it added to the confusion and disconnect. It's sort of like starting a paper with "Today we are going to talk about bubbles" and then continuing by writing about turtles. It doesnt really make sense.

I didnt view it as a twist, but an oddity.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:09
I agree! If the beginning hadnt been set up so strongly to make it seem as if the main purpose of the book was to find Emmy, I wouldnt have found it so odd.

It just seemed like a huge disconnect from the introduction to the main points.

I think the beginning should have been set up differently or the main plot should have been different
I think the discovery that Emmy was easily accessible came early enough in the book to remove any disappointment in any expected plot line.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:11
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:51
I found it added to the confusion and disconnect. It's sort of like starting a paper with "Today we are going to talk about bubbles" and then continuing by writing about turtles. It doesnt really make sense.

I didnt view it as a twist, but an oddity.
I guess to each hi own. I may have expected a story of finding Emmy before Echoland, bt after Will got there he realised the threat of spies, Fate Sealers, the False King, and more that provided quite a challenge that I ended enjoying the book.
I won't jump to criticize an author's creativity...clearly when I have yet to produce something resembling a book.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
I agree. I kept thinking she would become more of a central character, but it never happened. I wonder why?
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I as well feel that she was downplayed after all it was her that caught trapped in Echoland for so many years. I feel that maybe she should have been the one to be the successor
Chelsea N. Hackett
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 18:41
Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
I agree. I kept thinking she would become more of a central character, but it never happened. I wonder why?
She had few moments in the book, but I enjoyed most of them. I hope the author explores her PoV in any planned sequel.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

chelhack wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 23:43 I as well feel that she was downplayed after all it was her that caught trapped in Echoland for so many years. I feel that maybe she should have been the one to be the successor
I think her story and PoV are long with details of Shadowpain and life in Echoland leading up to Will's appearance in Echoland. I hope the author explores this in future books.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I totally agree. I felt strongly that the author could have made the reunion between Will and her more believable and relatable though.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”