Twins?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Twins?

Post by Kro92813 »

djr6090 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 17:33 I was confused. Emmy's Echo was supposedly assasinated as an infant. Is that why Emmy's Sound was trapped in Echoland? Is that why Will gives up on bringing her back?
You are right - her Echo was killed because they mistook her for Prince William (they looked a lot alike as babies). I think this is why both Sounds were taken - because the fate sealers couldnt tell them apart. Emmy the Sound was taken to Shadowpain and was found years later when she was 7, but she was apparently too old to leave echoland (without a safe passage ring). Will does bring her back in the end though, once he helps the Prince become King
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 05:13 I was wondering about this as well... The story starts out with Will's primary motivation being to find his lost sister Emmy, but then he finds her and the plot takes a sharp turn... I still thought the book was very well-written, but this twist struck me as odd.
At the beginning of the book Damian does say that his sister is all right and that's not the reason he needs to go to Echoland, but it still was odd to me to set up the beginning of the story how it was done.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Yes, I think Emily should have played a bigger role in the plot. I thought she would be more than background supporting cast, but most the female characters were support. I hope she has a bigger role in the next book. 😀
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I agree, Emily is downplayed in the book. I felt that she needed an equal space as her brother but this is not the case.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Yeah. It was a real disappointment to not get more of her, particularly since she seemed quite interesting as a character but always a mystery.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
Someone mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, and I definitely agree. I liked her character, but it would have been nice to see her play a more active role. I felt that way about a couple of the characters, including the Prince. I'm hoping there's more character development in the next book.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

Yes, Emily is placed at the background and isn't given a chance to shine in this book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
She was a fun character whose reconciliation with her parents drove my reading, but she rarely appeared during Will's journey and most of her action are written off as background retellings.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:52 I agree! She was so important for setting up the story, but then more or less dropped out it entirely. I was a bit disappointed.
Perfectly put, She was the reason Will braved Echoland...to bring her home. This however, did not guarantee that she was beside Will during his adventure.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

wordslinger42 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 11:05
Someone mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, and I definitely agree. I liked her character, but it would have been nice to see her play a more active role. I felt that way about a couple of the characters, including the Prince. I'm hoping there's more character development in the next book.
Its true that Emily was primarily a reactive character and also was the Prince, the False King, and a few others. I also hope this improves in the next book.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Hannalore wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 12:24 Yes, Emily is placed at the background and isn't given a chance to shine in this book.
After some thought the she wasn't really aloud to shine in this book because she really couldnt. No one could know her and will were siblings or it would have ruined his disguise. So in this book she had to play a discreet background role
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:10
Hannalore wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 12:24 Yes, Emily is placed at the background and isn't given a chance to shine in this book.
After some thought the she wasn't really aloud to shine in this book because she really couldnt. No one could know her and will were siblings or it would have ruined his disguise. So in this book she had to play a discreet background role
I agree hat her security demanded she remain obscure, plus it could be opened up in a sequel.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:53
I agree hat her security demanded she remain obscure, plus it could be opened up in a sequel.
And i think she will. This was one of the last paragraphs toward sthe end of the book

"After all her spying in search of secret ways to help her secret twin, when all this time she had wished to shout to the Echoes, “This is my brother, and he came here to save me!”—at last she had joined him on an adventure; and there would be many more, starting with a magic carpet ride to Olám Shoné."

Sounds like a promise of more adventure with Emmy
samathaword
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samathaword.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by samathaword »

That's where it got kind of confusing to me, I thought she would of had more of a roll also. To me she seemed more like a throw away character. I wish she would have been more to her character. That was disappointing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:03
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 23:53

And i think she will. This was one of the last paragraphs toward sthe end of the book

"After all her spying in search of secret ways to help her secret twin, when all this time she had wished to shout to the Echoes, “This is my brother, and he came here to save me!”—at last she had joined him on an adventure; and there would be many more, starting with a magic carpet ride to Olám Shoné."

Sounds like a promise of more adventure with Emmy
Yes, I loved the promise that line held for future adventures and books.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”