Twins?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Twins?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Samy Lax wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 01:14 I totally agree. I felt strongly that the author could have made the reunion between Will and her more believable and relatable though.
I think it was situational. Emmy was being constantly watched and could not be seen with Will too much, and when the rumours started Will could never be seen with Emmy for fear of a quick Fate Sealers served death.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:12
Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:09
Wyland wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 06:32 The lack of a climax in the search for Emily may be due to an inadequacy in the plotline hence a weakness, as initially I felt this was the major theme of the book. Thanks.
I agree! If the beginning hadnt been set up so strongly to make it seem as if the main purpose of the book was to find Emmy, I wouldnt have found it so odd.

It just seemed like a huge disconnect from the introduction to the main points.

I think the beginning should have been set up differently or the main plot should have been different
I think the discovery that Emmy was easily accessible came early enough in the book to remove any disappointment in any expected plot line.
Yes it happened right away which was why I thought the introduction was so bizarre
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 18:41
Falling4Ever wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:34 I feel like Emily was a very downplayed character, and after they realize she is still alive, she doesn’t really do much to push the plot forward. What are your thoughts?
I agree. I kept thinking she would become more of a central character, but it never happened. I wonder why?
I think in this book she really couldnt do much except be in the background, otherwise she would have given away Wills disguise. Still disappointing though
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Samy Lax wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 01:14 I totally agree. I felt strongly that the author could have made the reunion between Will and her more believable and relatable though.
Exactly! I mean if my twin sister was lost for 10 years I'd be a little more ecstatic and emotional seeing them for the first time
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 12:19
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:12
Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:09

I agree! If the beginning hadnt been set up so strongly to make it seem as if the main purpose of the book was to find Emmy, I wouldnt have found it so odd.

It just seemed like a huge disconnect from the introduction to the main points.

I think the beginning should have been set up differently or the main plot should have been different
I think the discovery that Emmy was easily accessible came early enough in the book to remove any disappointment in any expected plot line.
Yes it happened right away which was why I thought the introduction was so bizarre
I don't think it was a bad thing throwing the reader off expected plot lines. I enjoy any book that I cannot predict the likely characters and outcomes...and the books which surprise me can be counted less than 10...and I have read hundreds of series and thousands of books.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 12:27
Exactly! I mean if my twin sister was lost for 10 years I'd be a little more ecstatic and emotional seeing them for the first time
Only in this case, no one can know or suspect you are related, plus she is watched constantly, and there are Dementors who enjoy torture and killing and they are specifcally looking for you.
I think I would go Will's route in that situation...I would probably not go to the Orphanage and only plan to kidnap her.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

It seemed like Emily was only used as a tool to pull Will to Echoland. Other than that, her character did not seem to be treated with much importance.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 13:02
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 12:27
Only in this case, no one can know or suspect you are related, plus she is watched constantly, and there are Dementors who enjoy torture and killing and they are specifcally looking for you.
I think I would go Will's route in that situation...I would probably not go to the Orphanage and only plan to kidnap her.
but when he first arrives at the Orphanage he is in a room with only Emmy and Nurse Flight - both who know who he really is. So they could have had a grand and emotional reunion before keeping things under wraps afterward.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:33 It seemed like Emily was only used as a tool to pull Will to Echoland. Other than that, her character did not seem to be treated with much importance.
exactly! like her job was done and she was pushed to the back burner
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:37
A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:33 It seemed like Emily was only used as a tool to pull Will to Echoland. Other than that, her character did not seem to be treated with much importance.
I think she was the standing motivator for Will to never give up and continue helping William in his plans. He only did that to safely get Emmy back home to his parents.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 03:49
I think she was the standing motivator for Will to never give up and continue helping William in his plans. He only did that to safely get Emmy back home to his parents.
For sure! She basically was used as a "tool" throughout the book. The reason behind why he went there and did what he did
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I'm not sure what the importance of Will and Emmy being twins really is, except that Emmy's echo was killed because they thought she was the prince. The start of the book is all about finding Emmy, but then he gets to Echoland and she is there. While she does help Will throughout the book, she doesn't have a big role. Instead of finding his sister and bringing her back home to their parents, he helps the prince with his mission to be king.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:50 I'm not sure what the importance of Will and Emmy being twins really is, except that Emmy's echo was killed because they thought she was the prince. The start of the book is all about finding Emmy, but then he gets to Echoland and she is there. While she does help Will throughout the book, she doesn't have a big role. Instead of finding his sister and bringing her back home to their parents, he helps the prince with his mission to be king.
I feel like we are on the same page with this books interpretation lol

And it was a little odd that in the end their parents came to Echoland instead of will bringing Emmy home to them
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 14:32
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 03:49

For sure! She basically was used as a "tool" throughout the book. The reason behind why he went there and did what he did
Yes, her character was only reactive, dealing with ways of helping Will achieve his goals or removing suspicion from him. I hope that she becomes more active and developed in future books.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:50 I'm not sure what the importance of Will and Emmy being twins really is, except that Emmy's echo was killed because they thought she was the prince. The start of the book is all about finding Emmy, but then he gets to Echoland and she is there. While she does help Will throughout the book, she doesn't have a big role. Instead of finding his sister and bringing her back home to their parents, he helps the prince with his mission to be king.
It gave Will motive to enter Echoland and increased the tension sorrounding his identity being discovered. It fit perfectly with the plot.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”