The use of the Crystilleries in the story

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The use of the Crystilleries in the story

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:30
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:24
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:13 I also thought the chrystilleries were a unique way to bring up past memories. Sort of a parallel to the crystal balls that can tell the future.
I think they could have been used like the three-eyed-raven in GoT, to store the history of Echoes.
I'm not familiar with this reference lol
I keep imagining a hall of Crystilleries with thousands of memories ranging back to the history of Echoland.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This device was unique. The Crystilleries most definitely moved the plot forward. I kind of liked that their use became more clear as the story progressed. The reader's struggle to understand the use of the Crystilleries matched Will's struggle to understand this new world.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 03:18
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:30
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:24

I think they could have been used like the three-eyed-raven in GoT, to store the history of Echoes.
I'm not familiar with this reference lol
I keep imagining a hall of Crystilleries with thousands of memories ranging back to the history of Echoland.
Dont they have something similar in Harry Potter too? I'm imagining when they are in that room with the prophecy globes fighting the death waters nd Sirius gets killed
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 08:05 This device was unique. The Crystilleries most definitely moved the plot forward. I kind of liked that their use became more clear as the story progressed. The reader's struggle to understand the use of the Crystilleries matched Will's struggle to understand this new world.
I hadnt thought of the confusion as being purposeful
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 20:04
Kaylee123 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 14:00 I found them confusing to begin with, but they were definitely interesting. They ended up being very useful for Will.
I thought they were confusing at the beginning too. It was hard for me to picture what the author was trying to portray. By the end I got the idea behind them but I was still a bit confused on the details of them/how they looked with the red yellow and blue stones inside. I had a hard time picturing some of the descriptions of them.

I'm having a hard time envisioning them as well. Not so much the physical object but the way the images are portrayed by the crystilleries. Sometimes they're described as being inside and partially outside the stone, as well. And I don't know how large the images are.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Reynaa wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 00:47
Kaylee123 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 14:00 I found them confusing to begin with, but they were definitely interesting. They ended up being very useful for Will.
I thought they were confusing at the beginning too. It was hard for me to picture what the author was trying to portray. By the end I got the idea behind them but I was still a bit confused on the details of them/how they looked with the red yellow and blue stones inside. I had a hard time picturing some of the descriptions of them.

I'm having a hard time envisioning them as well. Not so much the physical object but the way the images are portrayed by the crystilleries. Sometimes they're described as being inside and partially outside the stone, as well. And I don't know how large the images are.
I pictured the chrystilleries as being the size of the palm of your hand. And when the images were described as being inside and outside, I envisioned them sort of like a fuzzy hologram
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:04

I pictured the chrystilleries as being the size of the palm of your hand. And when the images were described as being inside and outside, I envisioned them sort of like a fuzzy hologram
I defaulted to envisioning them as the holograms like in Star Wars 💁
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Reynaa wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:52

I picture them to be palm size but function like Dumbledore's Pensieve.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Haha whatever works! I think a hologram ofany sort is sort of what was intended? But I will agree it was confusing. I think the description was what was hard to wrap my head around
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:12

But dont you get "sucked into" the memories of a pensieve? I think they actually saw them in real time with chrystilleries
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 11:04

But dont you get "sucked into" the memories of a pensieve? I think they actually saw them in real time with chrystilleries
Yeah I think you get pulled into the memory in Harry Potter. Is it real time with the crystilleries?? I thought I've read them as memories. Maybe they're both.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Reynaa wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 17:28

Yeah I think you get pulled into the memory in Harry Potter. Is it real time with the crystilleries?? I thought I've read them as memories. Maybe they're both.
They are for sure memories, but you watch them like a TV in front of you in real time. With pensieves you are sucked in and become a part of that scene. That's my take on it anyway.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:57

They are for sure memories, but you watch them like a TV in front of you in real time. With pensieves you are sucked in and become a part of that scene. That's my take on it anyway.
For a Pensieve, one enters the memory not to be a part of it but to get the entire perspective and view of the memory's owner.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:02
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:57

For a Pensieve, one enters the memory not to be a part of it but to get the entire perspective and view of the memory's owner.
I understand that but I'm saying you are pulled into the memory with a pensive. With a chrystillery you just view it like on a screen
michelle alcoser
Currently Reading: Come Away with Me: Gio
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-alcoser.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by michelle alcoser »

I think learning how they work, their limitations and such, gave the reader then sense of confusion that was Will's. I think that was one of the things I loved and hated about this book.... the world of Echoland and its important components were confusing, but that also added to the suspense.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”