The Purpose for Pets

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The Purpose for Pets

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 14:35
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 03:42
Samy Lax wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:58 There was an additional layer of complexity added to the story of Echoland through the pets. However, the author could have added a few lines to describe what it is that the pets did.
Yes, the additional level of complexity added to the story made me long for some additional subplot concerning pets and possibly their Echoes.
Or their sounds since some pets were Echoes
I think their purpose, however vague, could have been another subplot the author would have explored in the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 14:37
Samy Lax wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 01:58 There was an additional layer of complexity added to the story of Echoland through the pets. However, the author could have added a few lines to describe what it is that the pets did.
In your opinion, what made the pets complex? Or what part of the story was more complex because of the pets?
I think the origin and bonds they made with their owners. I find it quite difficult to imagine that Wolfea and will had the same bond as Valerie and her Albatross.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:39 I also wish the pets would have been explained more. I mostly think the author used the pets to help further the storyline. Pellucid wanted to show Will's compassion and also create conflict when he chose Wolfea as his pet. Valerie chose the wild bird, which she was often flying on throughout the story. This was especially important when she was accusing Valerian of being a liar and murderer by the frozen lake.
I agree that the author could have explored the purpose of pets and their complexities in the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:09
tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:39 I also wish the pets would have been explained more. I mostly think the author used the pets to help further the storyline. Pellucid wanted to show Will's compassion and also create conflict when he chose Wolfea as his pet. Valerie chose the wild bird, which she was often flying on throughout the story. This was especially important when she was accusing Valerian of being a liar and murderer by the frozen lake.
I think in a way to make echoland seem that much more magical and fanciful. Because who in their right mind has a wild wolf for a pet? Nd people dont ride giant birds. It sort of helped to create that mystical environment
That was a unique way to make Echoland seem magical. In the sound realm these pets would have been deemed dangerous or extinct.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Washboard wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 21:08
Inkroverts wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:36
Washboard wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 21:09

I didn't think it was that similar to Harry Potter for the most part, but the pets thing made me think "Oh... Like a patronus."
I think it's to make the characters more special? Say, instead of just showing their personalities, they each also have a different pet that helps them stand out. Sort of similar to having a unique patronus and wand.
That's true. It was helpful for me to keep the characters separated. Like "oh... That's the mouse kid..." until I got the hang of who was who. I just wish there was a bit of an explanation within the story as to why pets were chosen in a big ceremony.
Yes, it was a way to be able to differentiate between the characters by their choice of pet.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I think that just as the pets seemed to be there protecting and watching over the kids that the children also did the same for the pets
Chelsea N. Hackett
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I like the inclusion of pets in the story, probably because I like pets. I related to Will in the moments he was caring for his pets. I do also agree that their supporting role could have been improved upon.
Last edited by ElizaBeth Adams on 26 Sep 2019, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I like the inclusion of pets, even if there does not seem to be a real purpose for them. Maybe it's because I'm an animal person
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I liked the pets. I supposed they were something like a familiar, which is a fairly common thing in tales about wizards.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 18:37 I liked the pets. I supposed they were something like a familiar, which is a fairly common thing in tales about wizards.
There really wasnt much for wizardry in this book
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I also agree that the pets could have been integrated together. Pets are a common convention of YA fantasy (yet another link to Harry Potter!) but of course it is important that the story stands on its own without relying on the reader’s outside knowledge.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I think the pets are basically a token of sorts. They act as an accessory rather than any significant plot device, though their purpose might become clear if the author plans a sequel.
Roomana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roomana »

Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:36 What do you think was the purpose of the orphanage giving pets to the children residing there? It seemed like it wasn't explained, other than it was a standing tradition. I almost felt the children choosing pets was a strange and unnecessary addition to the story. What do you think?
The reason behind giving pets to the chilren might be creating love in childrens heart and giving them responsibly of pets will make them understand the way of living life with rules
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

chelhack wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 03:39 I think that just as the pets seemed to be there protecting and watching over the kids that the children also did the same for the pets
So you viewed it as not just a companionship role, but one of protector
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 07:42 I like the inclusion of pets in the story, probably because I like pets. I related to Will in the moments he was caring for his pets. I do also agree that their supporting role could have been improved upon.
It helped show how compassionate and caring will could be.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”