The Purpose for Pets

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: The Purpose for Pets

Post by Emilyflint »

Totally agree with you! There are more than just that though, that could have been done without. I often wondered if the author wanted more significance to the let's but didn't know how to write it in.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

Ordinarily, a pet is an animal kept by human beings as a source of companionship and pleasure. Therefore, I think the purpose of the pets were for the pleasure of the children.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Purely as a pet, these animals were sufficient, but I felt like more was going to be learned about them and they would serve a bigger role. This was one of the many aspects of the book that was just begging to be expanded!
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

I think the position of pets is sometimes overrated. Mostly added as an additional tool for forgetfulness. most times, these pets added more trouble than the comfort they offer. Only few well-mannered pets can play into the role depicts by pets in this book. Even these roles played were not fully explained.
DaeReads19
Currently Reading: After Ever Happy (After, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by DaeReads19 »

I think it was an important, yet subtle part of the story that helped give a bit of humanity to the caregivers, while also adding filler actions of the children while they interacted with their pets. The pets may not have been the centerfold of the entire story, nor a major addition to the plot, but it helped add realism and favor-ability for readers that added some comedic humor, drama, and inquisitive curiosities. After all, you decided to post about it right? It made an impact, even if it was not a major one.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I'd like to think it was to introduce a sense of responsibility.
I could also think of another reason but that takes a rather darker tone so I'll skip it.
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I think pets were a form of comfort for the children. Since they didn’t have a family, it gave them something to love and care for. The role of the pets could have been expanded into much more.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I know it's a very different book, but it made me think of His Dark Materials book series. The relationship with the pets are different but it just popped out to me about the relationship they share.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

B Creech wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 01:33 I liked that the children were given pets but I do wish it would have been explained why. Perhaps as a form of comfort to them so they wouldn't feel alone without family?
Most definitely agree with you there, as my pets have certainly been a huge comfort throughout my life, but in the context of this fantasy tale, it did seem like an odd bit to mention only briefly.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

DaeReads19 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:35 I think it was an important, yet subtle part of the story that helped give a bit of humanity to the caregivers, while also adding filler actions of the children while they interacted with their pets. The pets may not have been the centerfold of the entire story, nor a major addition to the plot, but it helped add realism and favor-ability for readers that added some comedic humor, drama, and inquisitive curiosities. After all, you decided to post about it right? It made an impact, even if it was not a major one.
You make great points about how the pet inclusion added a sense of realism, favorability, and caregiver warmth. And the post topic in this forum supports your stated observation of it making enough of an impact to discuss in the first place. I wonder if anyone truly ever chose a cockroach to adopt?
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I assumed it was to give them a sense of companionship. It wasn't explained though.
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

Will also had his pets within the normal world, too, which felt a little strange. Perhaps it's more than just "pets", and the name is used to represent something more. Perhaps the animals are spirit guides of a sort. Did you notice none of the adults had pets? It could be that only children need such a guide. Then again, it's a truly fantastical setting, and reason doesn't always play in when comparing it to our reality.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Pet shop add another layer lov love and character building with the audience
Spencer Mack
Kotsotu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kotsotu.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kotsotu »

It was just as unnecessary as the ceremony itself so I think it was an attempt to try to make it as significant as possible. I also think she purposely wanted this story to parallel HP so she needed some sort of Hogwarts house-esque ice breaker at the welcoming ceremony. What was the deal with them making a big deal out of Will taming a random wolf? Then there was the Filch like groundskeeper who kept trying to kill Wolfea. Then the pets just followed them around everywhere. That was really hard to imagine and really cringey. It was already hard to imagine all that ice and crystal shaped everything, add animals by every single person's side. Looks like an arctic zoo in my mind. :lol2: Also the fact that in every single scene with Valerie, she was riding her bird. Wtf That was so weird to me.
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

This book had a really Golden Compass feel to it. It was a little disturbing and Echoland was really cold. I don't think the pets necessarily advanced the plot but they added much-needed warmth to the story. They are a bit of a trope in this type of fiction and they made this frigid universe much more palatable.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”