The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Re: The killing law

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Kelyn wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 12:32 I don't think murders so much unless we have a type of Fate Sealer here. Fatal accidents are a good guess, though. Fatal illnesses that appear seemingly out of nowhere perhaps as well. There are myriads of possibilities. Good question!
Excellent point and the possibilities truly are infinitely endless! Freak accidents and illnesses certainly make sense in that sort of context, as no other tangible logic applies, but let's hope murders are just their own sort of unfortunate category or I'm gonna start to suspect everyone I pass on the street as a Fate Sealer hiding in plain sight. Yikes! :shifty:
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

It is not absolute that when a sound dies, the echo dies too. That law was made by a person and not by the nature of life and death. This law is a subjective one.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I thought this aspect was one of those background issues not explored that gave the novel a shallow feel. Something that complex being hinted at but not explained was very disappointing.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

It brings to mind the possibility of the existence of a spiritual realm in real life and how events in that realm can affect the physical realm.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I think this is a really good thought provoking question! The whole idea of it is really interesting isn’t it? And I think it is open to so many different ways of interpreting it. I definitely thing the Sound and the Echo are extremely connected. So yes I agree that maybe with the loss of the Echo that it would be like a person who isn’t whole but is missing something from themselves.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Wait, yeah... I hadn't thought about it... But I think that if a sound dies... His life should continue as an echo... As an afterlife.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Well since this law was made by the king and is not an actual natural phenomenon, anything can happen right? And anything might just be nothing. But a good point raised!
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Hmmm, this is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought about at all. Sudden/unexpected deaths could be explained this way. Illnesses too, maybe. However, the assassinations or murders seem like independent events in either realm that then require a balance action such as a sudden accident/illness.
Fangirl1352
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Fangirl1352 »

Fatal accidents or events seem like a logical event that would happen once an echo dies. There are many, many possibilities. I also like the idea that the echo is connected to our souls, and that leads to a lost personality.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”