The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The killing law

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:31 I wondered if the two could exist independently. This law was put in place by the king, and doesn't seem to have been a law of nature in their world. We are also told that a Sound could be born dead and then the Echo would become a servant of Fortune (p. 69). I am not convinced that the death of an Echo would affect its Sound.
The existence of harmonies brings into question whether or not an echo and Sound can live independently.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:50
kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:31 I wondered if the two could exist independently. This law was put in place by the king, and doesn't seem to have been a law of nature in their world. We are also told that a Sound could be born dead and then the Echo would become a servant of Fortune (p. 69). I am not convinced that the death of an Echo would affect its Sound.
These are good points! I think you may be right, but I think in a way that the echo's life is more determined by the sound than the other way around
Maybe that is what the king (and his law) want you to believe! BE GOOD ECHOES or we will go kill your Sound and then...
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 12:55
These are good points! I think you may be right, but I think in a way that the echo's life is more determined by the sound than the other way around
Maybe that is what the king (and his law) want you to believe! BE GOOD ECHOES or we will go kill your Sound and then...
Based on the killing law, a suicidal Echo only has to kill his sound if he can't finish the act by himself.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:03
Based on the killing law, a suicidal Echo only has to kill his sound if he can't finish the act by himself.
What I am wondering is if the king was using the law to blackmail the Echoes. Should he become unhappy with any Echo, he could decree that his Sound be killed. Then the killing law would come into effect and the Echo would also have to be "taken care of." The false king made the law to take over the throne. But he also needed that law to keep the throne.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:33
What I am wondering is if the king was using the law to blackmail the Echoes. Should he become unhappy with any Echo, he could decree that his Sound be killed. Then the killing law would come into effect and the Echo would also have to be "taken care of." The false king made the law to take over the throne. But he also needed that law to keep the throne.
That is why Fate Sealers had a killing spree in the Sound realm...kidnapping sounds to be executed later.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

It is definitely the Tyrant's way to rule. Re-enact the killing law in order to keep your echos in line. Give Fate Sealers free killing and torture and no one dares step out of line.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I just mean in the fact that if a sound is never born the echo cannot be created.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Thefalse king did not enact the law (it was in place centuries before him), but I believe he definitely used it to his advantage - as did numerous kings before him I am sure
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:06
I just mean in the fact that if a sound is never born the echo cannot be created.
The killing law made it legal to execute all Echoes whose sounds had died through accidental means. Even those in coma would get their echos exed.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 23:08
Thefalse king did not enact the law (it was in place centuries before him), but I believe he definitely used it to his advantage - as did numerous kings before him I am sure
The false king found an obscure law that was ancient and convinced the then king to reenact it. The law had been abused by previous kings to get their way and the false king intended just that.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?

This is thoughtful question indeed!

I think that the connection between a sound and it's echo is like an emotional bond that once sever, it has ripple effects.

A good example is the undulating surface of water.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

So they are connected in birth but not necessarily in death.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 08:07
So they are connected in birth but not necessarily in death.
Yes! Unless of course the law of death is still in place
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

I think the killing law existed in ancient Echoland and had been enacted by kings for their personal reasons. The False King re-enacted it in order to manoeuvre his brother off the crown.
MellaBella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellabella.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by MellaBella »

I think instead of killing an echo who's sound has died, they took that newborn echo and created Fate Sealers. I'm also curious what happens when an echo is killed or created into one of those stinky demons, what happens to their sound? I want a second book explaining it! Lol

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”