The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The killing law

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:01
Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:19
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 12:50

I think it was a brutal law too, but more shocking was the acceptance the people of Echoland took to it.
You would be surprised at just how many things people accept these days. Even here in the real world. Echoland is like a mirror of the real world.
This is sad, yet true! It's crazy how many people will blindly follow those in power. It makes me think of Hitler and how so many were brainwashed by someone so crazy
No one questioned the killing law when it came ro be despite the many lives it ruined.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:10
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:47
Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:24

Hmm interesting idea. What happens in the spiritual realm manifests in the physical. Nice one.
I think more like the Killing law is part of another obscure law in the Sound Realm.
What do you have in mind?
Not sure yet but will definitely look into it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:17
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:44
A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:27 The killing law is a law of the land, not the law of nature. It is only in effect because the king decreed it.
I completely agree with your assessment. The law only came into being when the False King had lost the crown to his brutish older brother after William's father died.
See this is where things got a bit confusing for me. Like you, I thought the false king enacted the law to kill his brother to take over the throne. But the law was enacted around 250 yrs ago by a different king who was murdered by his brother using the law of death (who then became king and decreed that kings were to be exempt from the law in the future). The false king had only been on the throne for 4 months by the time Will came into the picture. He wanted to use the killing law to prevent prince William from proving his fathers innocence (which would put him as heir to the throne). So the group we see in the chrystillery showing the king dieing was NOT the false King and prince William's dad. I originally thought that too. And the false king did not put the law into place. It was already decreed long before he came along
Thank you for the detailed explanation. The killing law was an ancient obscure law that had been put to rest until the False King saw it fit to enact it again.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Dikay127 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:32 That's definitely an interesting thought. I never imagined that if an echo dies first that maybe that's why there are accidents, etc that happen in the sound realm. I personally believe nothing happens to them. I think the fate sealers were more concerned with keeping their realm under law.
What a out situations like plane crashes and terrorist incidents.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:52
Dikay127 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:32 That's definitely an interesting thought. I never imagined that if an echo dies first that maybe that's why there are accidents, etc that happen in the sound realm. I personally believe nothing happens to them. I think the fate sealers were more concerned with keeping their realm under law.
I think you are right! Nothing probably happens. I like how a PP mentioned that maybe when an Echo is killed first it effects the Sounds spirit (as in causes depression or feelings of loss). Sort of an interesting take on things!
That is an interesting take on depression and grief, and it somehow seems quite plausible.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This is an interesting question. I wondered this as I was reading too. It seems like the strong connection between the Sound and Echo would mean that if something happened to the Echo the Sound would be impacted as well. I agree that some unexplained sadness or emotional response seems plausible.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 08:44 This is an interesting question. I wondered this as I was reading too. It seems like the strong connection between the Sound and Echo would mean that if something happened to the Echo the Sound would be impacted as well. I agree that some unexplained sadness or emotional response seems plausible.
This is my favorite explanation so far!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 08:44 This is an interesting question. I wondered this as I was reading too. It seems like the strong connection between the Sound and Echo would mean that if something happened to the Echo the Sound would be impacted as well. I agree that some unexplained sadness or emotional response seems plausible.
But to make that final choice for every Echo because their Sound died seems extreme.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 07:09 And because those who dont agree withthe one in power have no say they generally are silenced or squashed
Exactly. If you don't obey those horrid Fate Sealers will be screeching after you... :cry2:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Sinclairess wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:49
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 07:09 And because those who dont agree withthe one in power have no say they generally are silenced or squashed
Exactly. If you don't obey those horrid Fate Sealers will be screeching after you... :cry2:
*shudder* yeah no thank you!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Sinclairess wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 10:49
That seems like a broken system...like The Dark Lord's system. :o
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Thinking about this in terms of the real world (like, if this were to actually exist) does that mean that people who are diagnosed with depression and anxiety from a young age have to live the rest of their lives without their Echoes? :shock2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I wondered if the two could exist independently. This law was put in place by the king, and doesn't seem to have been a law of nature in their world. We are also told that a Sound could be born dead and then the Echo would become a servant of Fortune (p. 69). I am not convinced that the death of an Echo would affect its Sound.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:31 I wondered if the two could exist independently. This law was put in place by the king, and doesn't seem to have been a law of nature in their world. We are also told that a Sound could be born dead and then the Echo would become a servant of Fortune (p. 69). I am not convinced that the death of an Echo would affect its Sound.
These are good points! I think you may be right, but I think in a way that the echo's life is more determined by the sound than the other way around
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:50
kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:31 I wondered if the two could exist independently. This law was put in place by the king, and doesn't seem to have been a law of nature in their world. We are also told that a Sound could be born dead and then the Echo would become a servant of Fortune (p. 69). I am not convinced that the death of an Echo would affect its Sound.
These are good points! I think you may be right, but I think in a way that the echo's life is more determined by the sound than the other way around
I agree that an Echo's life is more affected y the life of its Sound than the other way around. It is the foundation of the killing law...centuries in the making.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”