Who was the invisible man?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Who was the invisible man?

Post by Kro92813 »

I just want to say that this is what I love about books! We all can read the same exact words, but come out with a different story in our own eyes! Is my story more right than anyone elses? Nope! I think there are an infinite number of interpretations for any given novel. That's the beauty of a book :) this has been fun "arguing" our own interpretations together this far!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:15
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:49
Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:12

Idk i really dont think it was Tear. He was waaayyyy to scared to leave when will offered in the beginning of the book after first meeting him. Then at the end of the book when Will, Peter, and Emmy go back to Tears garden Pellucid writes: "But it was Emmy who convinced the lonely boy to overcome his fears and leave his hideaway."

I really dont think he would have left before knowing that Olam Shone was waiting for him. Especially byhimself.. he was simply too scared
I think it was Teal because his shyness was only in the presence of company. We do not know what he actually is like alone.
That is true that we dont know how he behaves when alone, but I dont think he came off as shy in front of company. He was so excited to be with someone else when Will dropped by! He was outgoing in an awkward and quirky way! But when Will suggested they leave together that'swhen he became timid and scared and shy.
Teal had the entirety of the book to be unaccounted for and could have done a lot of things. I think he was the invisible man.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I don't know who this could have been... Hopefully Pellucid will answer this one on the next book?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 01:26 I don't know who this could have been... Hopefully Pellucid will answer this one on the next book?
I'm leaning toward valerian, but there was no concrete evidence to anyone specific
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:58
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:49

I think it was Teal because his shyness was only in the presence of company. We do not know what he actually is like alone.
That is true that we dont know how he behaves when alone, but I dont think he came off as shy in front of company. He was so excited to be with someone else when Will dropped by! He was outgoing in an awkward and quirky way! But when Will suggested they leave together that'swhen he became timid and scared and shy.
Teal had the entirety of the book to be unaccounted for and could have done a lot of things. I think he was the invisible man.
Tear was unaccounted for. but there is absolutely no evidence it was him. No talk of him being able to turn invisible. He had no motive. His personality dictates he would just stay in his safe place. You can think what you will, but I am not convinced :lol2:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:14
Nicole_Boyd wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 01:26 I don't know who this could have been... Hopefully Pellucid will answer this one on the next book?
I'm leaning toward valerian, but there was no concrete evidence to anyone specific
I respect the view that it was Valerian, but I am of the belief that Teal was the invisible man.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:18
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:58

Tear was unaccounted for. but there is absolutely no evidence it was him. No talk of him being able to turn invisible. He had no motive. His personality dictates he would just stay in his safe place. You can think what you will, but I am not convinced :lol2:
Everything you know about Teal is so minimal and subject to character bias and POV. I think that it could definitely be him because of him being unaccounted for the entire story, he could have invisibility (who knows), and the author specifically kept his POV vague in this book.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

I feel that it was Valerian. He admits to following them and watching them struggle to get into the ant chamber. He also need the prince to become king so he could take control again. He admits that he helped send the map to the orphnage and also sent Valerie to help them translate it. The prince's uncle was not influenced by valerian, so he helps the prince so as to regain his position of power
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

little_nell15 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 10:20 I feel that it was Valerian. He admits to following them and watching them struggle to get into the ant chamber. He also need the prince to become king so he could take control again. He admits that he helped send the map to the orphnage and also sent Valerie to help them translate it. The prince's uncle was not influenced by valerian, so he helps the prince so as to regain his position of power
I 100% agree! Valerian says : "you had no idea I was there, invisible, watching your pathetic struggles to get into Aurilius' room..."

If that's not proof...
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:04
little_nell15 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 10:20 I feel that it was Valerian. He admits to following them and watching them struggle to get into the ant chamber. He also need the prince to become king so he could take control again. He admits that he helped send the map to the orphnage and also sent Valerie to help them translate it. The prince's uncle was not influenced by valerian, so he helps the prince so as to regain his position of power
I 100% agree! Valerian says : "you had no idea I was there, invisible, watching your pathetic struggles to get into Aurilius' room..."

If that's not proof...
I don't think he was detailing the exact time we're discussing. All this proves is that he watched them and he has the power of invisibility.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

There has been a heavy foolowing on ot being Valerian but I will continue to hold out until the author says otherwise.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:08

If that's not proof...
I don't think he was detailing the exact time we're discussing. All this proves is that he watched them and he has the power of invisibility.
except for the fact during this monologue Valerian is tieing up all of the loose ends throughout the story. I dont think the author would throw in a random event she hadn't mentioned in the book of watching them struggle to get into the ant chamber. The only instance they struggled to get in was when they didn't realize the chamber door was already opened - and the invisible man pointed their way in.

Your counter-argument that Tear is the invisible man is weak at best and FULL of speculation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:09
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:08

If that's not proof...
except for the fact during this monologue Valerian is tieing up all of the loose ends throughout the story. I dont think the author would throw in a random event she hadn't mentioned in the book of watching them struggle to get into the ant chamber. The only instance they struggled to get in was when they didn't realize the chamber door was already opened - and the invisible man pointed their way in.

Your counter-argument that Tear is the invisible man is weak at best and FULL of speculation.
I don't know about commiting myself to your speculation just because you see mine as weak at best, so I'll hold out for the author's verification rather than continue this banter.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:21
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:37
Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:29

Not weird because it seems so insignificant, but I feel like eventually no detail in this story is insignificant in the end! On of 128 we see this apparition for the first time. Then on pg 165 it mentioned one last time: "The shock on Peter’s face showed that he understood. Earlier that evening outside the great fireplace, an invisible Echo had shown them the way into Auralius’ cell. But who could it have been?"

I'm sort of leaning toward Valerian since he could turn invisible and dipped his fingers in guiding the story into the direction he had wanted it to go. I'm not sure though!
While Victor Valorian had a skill set and motive to do this, it would have been unnecessary for him to . This is why I think it was Tear.
I revisited Valerians confession and this part makes me think it was him: "All this time, I’ve been following you.” Valerian’s hovering eyes slid to look at Will. “Just had to get rid of the scent of cherry tobacco, and you had no idea I was there, invisible, watching your pathetic struggles to get into Auralius’ room…to avoid Pellucid’s eyes…the Fate Sealers, Splash Slippery. By Fortune, you were a magnet for disaster!"

So he was there when they were attempting to get into the ant chamber. They were struggling to get in so he decided to "help them out" (possibly so they could witness Auralius kill his father? Which obviously didnt happen but that was the intention...
I think Valerian is a much more believable choice! Tear is so reclusive that, at least in my mind, it would be very out of character for him to do something like that.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

wordslinger42 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 09:15
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:21
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:37

While Victor Valorian had a skill set and motive to do this, it would have been unnecessary for him to . This is why I think it was Tear.
I revisited Valerians confession and this part makes me think it was him: "All this time, I’ve been following you.” Valerian’s hovering eyes slid to look at Will. “Just had to get rid of the scent of cherry tobacco, and you had no idea I was there, invisible, watching your pathetic struggles to get into Auralius’ room…to avoid Pellucid’s eyes…the Fate Sealers, Splash Slippery. By Fortune, you were a magnet for disaster!"

So he was there when they were attempting to get into the ant chamber. They were struggling to get in so he decided to "help them out" (possibly so they could witness Auralius kill his father? Which obviously didnt happen but that was the intention...
I think Valerian is a much more believable choice! Tear is so reclusive that, at least in my mind, it would be very out of character for him to do something like that.
This is my thoughts exactly! And the fact that Emmy had to convince Tear to leave his garden at the end of the book

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”