The eyes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: The eyes

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:28
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 11:00
Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:09

I would be too! It is creepy to be constantly watched!
One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers
and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
What's worse is that they became so accustomed to the eyes! They were just a part of their daily lives. Are we getting that way in our society? Cameras and screens everywhere!
They did! At one point the boys were swatting them away like annoying mosquitos!

And side note - YES I think we 100% are getting too comfortable with constant movement ignoring (like the boys). Think Alexa, our cell phones "listening" and showing ads that relate to our conversations...creepy
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:53 The eyes reminded me of "Big Brother." They were everywhere. Even though the characters got used to them, they still seemed kind of creepy. It seemed like Will, too, was uncomfortable with the constant surveillance.
One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
Theyprobably grew falsely comfortable with all of it over time, but it is still very creepy!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Kaylee123 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 11:09 I just thought they were cameras keeping an eye on all the children in general. Maybe it's because I work in a school and think they would come in handy. :)
I work in a school that has "eyes" and trust me, they are not a good thing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 15:41

One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers
and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
What's worse is that they became so accustomed to the eyes! They were just a part of their daily lives. Are we getting that way in our society? Cameras and screens everywhere!
They did! At one point the boys were swatting them away like annoying mosquitos!

And side note - YES I think we 100% are getting too comfortable with constant movement ignoring (like the boys). Think Alexa, our cell phones "listening" and showing ads that relate to our conversations...creepy
We think it is creepy because we know what it was like before - when we were not constantly under the "watchful eye." Sadly, the next generations will see all this surveillance as normal! (Think Facebook and Instagram posts!) The irony is that we are doing it to ourselves - per your reference to Alexa, Siri, etc.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 21:28
Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 15:41

We think it is creepy because we know what it was like before - when we were not constantly under the "watchful eye." Sadly, the next generations will see all this surveillance as normal! (Think Facebook and Instagram posts!) The irony is that we are doing it to ourselves - per your reference to Alexa, Siri, etc.
And I'msure it's the same way in echo land. They all just get accustomed to it so its "no big deal". Eventually you turn a blind eye
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 15:42

One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
Theyprobably grew falsely comfortable with all of it over time, but it is still very creepy!
I think that was a symbolic way to caution the next generation on how surveillance will become a part of their lives.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Kro92813 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:35 The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?
To keep an eye on Will and report his status to the fate sealers? To help protect him? Or a less sinister approach?

After contemplating for some time, I think they were just a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on Will and Peter so that she could write their story.

What are your thoughts?

A close observation of Will might seem suspicious.

But, on the other hand it gives a clear perspective for the story.

Thank you for the question.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 08:04
Kro92813 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:35 The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?
To keep an eye on Will and report his status to the fate sealers? To help protect him? Or a less sinister approach?

After contemplating for some time, I think they were just a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on Will and Peter so that she could write their story.

What are your thoughts?

A close observation of Will might seem suspicious.

But, on the other hand it gives a clear perspective for the story.

Thank you for the question.
I believe Pellucid's eyes were set up to spy on the children in the orphanage prior to Will entering Echoland...maybe even for Emmy after leaving Shadowpain. That they spied on him was just a lucky coincidence on Pellucid's part that led to a book.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I thought they were planted as a way to listen in and watch Will so he could be followed. However, it may be something else entirely as the author has a way of throwing in twists to the story to keep us all off guard. The eyes made me think of information gatherers, but for who? Good or bad. I’m not sure.
Everything happens for a reason...
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Kaylee123 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 11:09 I just thought they were cameras keeping an eye on all the children in general. Maybe it's because I work in a school and think they would come in handy. :)
This is exactly how so thought of them too! Middle school teacher here.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Pellucid's crystal eye cameras were everywhere to keep tabs on them to write the story but to keep tabs on everyone.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

The camera eyes must have been kept there to track whatever happens around the kids, not just Will only. By them, Pellucid could be kept informed.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Ha. I thought so to. Just general surveillance.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I think they were just there to keep tabs on the children. I don't think there's much more to them.
Newman Old
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newman-old.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Newman Old »

After considerable consideration, I agree with this! At first, I didn't understand the eyes, but when Pellucie said she would write about Will's trip, it all made sense to me.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”