The eyes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

The eyes

Post by Kro92813 »

The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?
To keep an eye on Will and report his status to the fate sealers? To help protect him? Or a less sinister approach?

After contemplating for some time, I think they were just a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on Will and Peter so that she could write their story.

What are your thoughts?
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Hmm, I still tend to think that the camera eyes had something to do with the Fate Sealers. I had never thought of them being used by Pellucid to keep tabs on Will, but that's an interesting thought! Maybe that's something that will get explained in the sequel!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

wordslinger42 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:54 Hmm, I still tend to think that the camera eyes had something to do with the Fate Sealers. I had never thought of them being used by Pellucid to keep tabs on Will, but that's an interesting thought! Maybe that's something that will get explained in the sequel!
I thought that originally too that the fate sealers were keeping tabs on them, but they were always trailing behind Will and Peter physically. There was also the time the boys went into Pellucids restricted section and the eyes were trying to spy on them. Peter struggled to keep them closed. A little later when they are headed into town for the Chrystalmas fair, Pellucid runs into them and hands will the broken blinker and mentions she saw everything through her eyes. (Pg. 206 “Impudent Sound!” she breathed over him. “Never interfere with my eyes! Yes, I saw you, saw it all...")
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I just thought they were cameras keeping an eye on all the children in general. Maybe it's because I work in a school and think they would come in handy. :)
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

My understanding is that Pellucid used the eyes to keep track of what all of the kids were up to, not just Will.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
KatMoonViper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katmoonviper.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KatMoonViper »

I honestly loved that in the end, she stated she was going to write their story. To me, that statement brought the eyes and their purpose in the story together.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

KatMoonViper wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 16:54 I honestly loved that in the end, she stated she was going to write their story. To me, that statement brought the eyes and their purpose in the story together.
I thought this too!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 13:32 My understanding is that Pellucid used the eyes to keep track of what all of the kids were up to, not just Will.
I'm sure she did, but in this story I think the main focus was on Will and keeping tabs on him specifically, because wherever he went they suddenly appeared
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Kaylee123 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 11:09 I just thought they were cameras keeping an eye on all the children in general. Maybe it's because I work in a school and think they would come in handy. :)
I bet they would! Eyes everywhere instead of just the back of your head ;)
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I think the cameras were set for will, in order to see his activities.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

NIRUPAMA JHA wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 03:35 I think the cameras were set for will, in order to see his activities.
After much thought, I think this as well! I was confused about the eyes at first but in the end when Pellucie says she will write Wills adventure it really connected everything for me
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:35 The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?
To keep an eye on Will and report his status to the fate sealers? To help protect him? Or a less sinister approach?

After contemplating for some time, I think they were just a way for Pellucid to keep tabs on Will and Peter so that she could write their story.

What are your thoughts?
I think they served the purpose of keeping an eye on him-pun intended and to keep Pellucid well-informed. She recognized how vital Will was and assumed all critical events would fall according to his actions.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 20:42
Washboard wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 13:32 My understanding is that Pellucid used the eyes to keep track of what all of the kids were up to, not just Will.
I'm sure she did, but in this story I think the main focus was on Will and keeping tabs on him specifically, because wherever he went they suddenly appeared
It would make sense to keep extra eyes on someone who is always getting into trouble, or at least being stalked by Fate Sealers.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:39
Kro92813 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 07:35 The surveillance camera eyes could pop open everywhere a crystal ball decor was - and they did when Will was around! What do you think their purpose was?

What are your thoughts?
I think they served the purpose of keeping an eye on him-pun intended and to keep Pellucid well-informed. She recognized how vital Will was and assumed all critical events would fall according to his actions.
YESSS! Score 2 for the pun ;)
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 19:13
Kro92813 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 20:42
It would make sense to keep extra eyes on someone who is always getting into trouble, or at least being stalked by Fate Sealers.
Good point! Kinda like keeping an extra eye on the "bad kid", so to speak.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”