The eyes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The eyes

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:53
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:31
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:24

Nope! nurse flight, velerian, and Frankenstein knew who he was and so did Pellucid. When Will first arrives in the orphanage and he is about to introduce himself at the pet picking ceremony, pellucid interacts with him this way, and I quote: "Then she (Pellucid) turned to Will, her sea-foam hair frothing in the breeze. “And you are?” she asked. But then she froze and mouthed between them, “Well, well. Only seen it once before. Come, come, cold-sleep got your tongue?”

So she knew Will was in disguise from the very beginning. Thus, I rest my case.
The eyes were not installed for Will's benefit. There is no case here ro be rested. Pellucid was spying on children way before Will was in Echoland :snooty: .
Lol that's not even what this particular argument was about. I was saying Pellucid knew who Will was when she met him for the first time (which is why she kept an eye on him - with her previously placed eyes) and your counter argument was that she didnt know who he was until people started speculating. I have quoted proof from the book to back my theory haha
I will concede your point.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:46
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:27
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:08

Lol the credibility of a fictitious novel with lucent people and magic? It's not real so anything is possible in the mind of the one who wrote it.
If Pellucid the character wrote Will's journey from her spying through the eyes, then the book is around two-thirds accurate.
Nothing is ever truly accurate. People bend the truth or remember accounts differently or only tell you what they want you to know. History is the same way in real life
I still don't trust a story based on the musings of a spying Librarian with limited eyes to follow the entire adventure.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 12:49
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:29
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:14

In the magical realm I imAgine they would not be installed..rather magic-ed in place instantaneously. I do think they were already in place well before Wills arrival
Magic works in different ways and this is not a particular subject worth discussing because it will always be open to the whims of the author.
Just as an entire work of fiction is open ti the whims if an author and to those who read it depending on how each individual interprets it
So interpretation is the concession with this and every other argument or discussion.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:02
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:29

Magic works in different ways and this is not a particular subject worth discussing because it will always be open to the whims of the author.
Just as an entire work of fiction is open ti the whims if an author and to those who read it depending on how each individual interprets it
So interpretation is the concession with this and every other argument or discussion.
Exactly! A book is written once, but the story is interpreted in infinite ways
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:02
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:02

Exactly! A book is written once, but the story is interpreted in infinite ways
I can't argue with that point.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

At first, I thought that the eyes were the Fate Sealers watching everyone. However, after Pellucid comes to Will and scowls him for interrupting the signal it becomes clear that Pellucid is the one controlling the eyes. Even though I wasn't quite sure what this meant at the time, Pellucid later reveals she writes all the stories in the graveyard book. Pellucid must use these eyes to write the stories. I think this makes the most sense.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:53 At first, I thought that the eyes were the Fate Sealers watching everyone. However, after Pellucid comes to Will and scowls him for interrupting the signal it becomes clear that Pellucid is the one controlling the eyes. Even though I wasn't quite sure what this meant at the time, Pellucid later reveals she writes all the stories in the graveyard book. Pellucid must use these eyes to write the stories. I think this makes the most sense.
I hadnt realized pellucid wrote the stories in the graveyard book - I hadnt caught that part!

I definitly think she has used the eyes to write many stories - nd not just Wills!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:53 At first, I thought that the eyes were the Fate Sealers watching everyone. However, after Pellucid comes to Will and scowls him for interrupting the signal it becomes clear that Pellucid is the one controlling the eyes. Even though I wasn't quite sure what this meant at the time, Pellucid later reveals she writes all the stories in the graveyard book. Pellucid must use these eyes to write the stories. I think this makes the most sense.
I found them to be quite a useful system she had installed. It also made me question where the eyes are throughout Echoland and how Pellucid wrote Will's story effectively not knowing his adventures in Olám Shoné.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:57
I hadnt realized pellucid wrote the stories in the graveyard book - I hadnt caught that part!

I definitly think she has used the eyes to write many stories - nd not just Wills!
Which brings up the question of where the eyes are located throughout Echoland and whether she has some in Olám Shoné. Did she make up some of the stories she writes, not having eyes in certain locations to continue her spying.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Kro92813 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 20:41 I like it though! I wonder if they are just in the orphanage or if they are used everywhere in echoland?
Hmmm, good question! I don't remember any crystal balls being seen in any parts of the book, right?
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The eyes reminded me of "Big Brother." They were everywhere. Even though the characters got used to them, they still seemed kind of creepy. It seemed like Will, too, was uncomfortable with the constant surveillance.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:53 The eyes reminded me of "Big Brother." They were everywhere. Even though the characters got used to them, they still seemed kind of creepy. It seemed like Will, too, was uncomfortable with the constant surveillance.
I would be too! It is creepy to be constantly watched!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:09
kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:53 The eyes reminded me of "Big Brother." They were everywhere. Even though the characters got used to them, they still seemed kind of creepy. It seemed like Will, too, was uncomfortable with the constant surveillance.
One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 11:00
One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers
and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
What's worse is that they became so accustomed to the eyes! They were just a part of their daily lives. Are we getting that way in our society? Cameras and screens everywhere!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 13:28
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 11:00

One could never be quite comfortable in the Orphanage(if one ever got past the issues with fate sealers
and the game keeper) due to Pellucid's eyes, they were quite creepy.
What's worse is that they became so accustomed to the eyes! They were just a part of their daily lives. Are we getting that way in our society? Cameras and screens everywhere!
Yes, I think Pellucid's eyes were a symbolism for how monitored our World is, and the normality of it to most citizens. It feels strange noting that Pellucid's eyes are always watching when our daily lives are governed by the same principles.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”